Working up time due to having to eat and maintain good control.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all live in the real world, and we all know that the rules, and the concept of reasonable adjustment are not rigid. They can't be. Flexibility is what what makes an office (and an employee function).

There is a guy in our office who has unfortunately moved into a wheelchair during the last year, after about 15 years on crutches. This obviously impacts a lot of things, including the time he takes to get ready, travel, enter the building, and take loo breaks. He is a total star about everything, and I have never heard him complain.

So why have I mentioned him? Because he is a grown up, so is his manager. If someone started counting the 93 extra seconds it takes him to get through 3 internal doors to his desk, or the extra 2 mins he takes in the disabled loo, then the office would be a very sad place. Equally, he accepts that normal life (dressing, traveling, accessing) takes him longer. It is the nature of how his body works. He deals with it daily, and will do so for much longer than he holds this job.

Likewise, as a grown up, I do NOT count every second of my breaks, or clock my time to the millisecond. I keep an eye on the clock, sure, but I round my breaks down, so that my employer doesn't lose out, and make up extra time if I get held up on a lunch break. That way, I am confident that I am giving my employer value for money, and our obligations are balanced. The twice I have had a supervisor incapable of grasping this, I have moved on to new pastures, quite rapidly.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamesgib22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think from the whole situation I am obviously going to discuss with the relevant authorities but I believe @AndBreathe describes it best. Perhaps I am putting the pressure on myself. I think the bodybuilding will be put on hold from April 2016 onwards in order to achieve my qualification and if I need to spend extra hours at work so be it and will from now on charge my full overtime and take my sick days instead of slogging it into work when I am obviously unwell.

Thank you for everyone's support and advice I will keep you all posted as of the outcome of the discussion with the relevant authorities and what their view on it is.