working while ill.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
I wanted some advice on a matter of working conditions either before becoming unwell or during. I am no stranger to work moving from job to job since I was old enough but since my most recent job my health seems to have dropped. My bloodsugers has never been fully controlled and seems to be the most troubling part of it in my experience. I have only been a diabetic type 1 for 3 or 4 years. Anyway on to the issue.

while working shifts between 8 to 10 hours on a constant heat source I sometimes get my break a hour after my start or a hour before I finish on most occasions with sometimes no break at all meaning I have to work another 7 or more hours with no snacks or insulin. Also depending on the rush they sometimes refuse a drink until it quiets down which usually takes along time.

they also switch me from day shifts to nights removing any routine to my insulting schedule. I am currently seeing if I can gain a note from my gp to sort this issue.

but the main issue I want advice on is the responses I get to my sick days.
a few weeks back I phoned in sick because my bloodsugars was 30+ I am not certain what caused this spike but I barely got 2 hours sleep that day and couldn't even move around the house let alone work the full shift. They told me that if I haven't physically been sick I had to turn up and complete my shift. Against my better judgement and the threat of a warning I went to work being forced to work on the hottest station there and nearly collapsing at which point one of the other managers sent me home in a taxi.

however the only manager that understood my situation has left and I'm again unwell but afraid to call in (you have to call in everyday you are sick at my place of employment) as I went to work unwell again yesterday I told them that I couldn't physically finish my shift due to my bloodsugars wiping me out. My manager with a angry tone said to leave work and get a doctors appointment which would have been reasonable if she didn't go on to say that I must get an appointment to the doctors on the same day which was nearly closing time plus the fact that it takes me a week to get a slot free. And to also get my diabeties sorted the same day and that I Must attend my shift the next day regardless how I feel.

I am currently in a position where I don't know what to do I fear my health is and will get worst if I don't get a chance to sort them but I also don't like speaking to them as each time I do they seem to shrug off any illness I have. My illness is visibly seen by others (other staff) as they have said I shouldn't have gone in as I physically look unwell. But my managers refuse to see it for what it is.

what options do I have in a situation like this?
thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Jamie_C_Jordan

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your working conditions sound illegal, diabetes or not.

Your workplace is also breaching the disability discrimination act.

As far as your diabetes control problems go you sound like an ideal candidate for an insulin pump. You'd be able to set different basal rates depending on your workload/shift patterns and with a correct basal rate, wouldn't need to eat to avoid a hypo. You would also be able to give yourself corrections right there on the job by just pressing a few buttons.

You should get in touch with your hospital diabetes team and, if they think you're not eligible for pump therapy, the people at Input should be able to help http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

Of course, you could also probably make injections work too but your shift work and the nature of your job make you a good candidate for the flexibility of a pump

Reactions: Jamie_C_Jordan

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jamie.

Your health is more important than a job. I don't know the details of your situation, but it doesn't sound good.

Just some things to consider, don't be alarmed;

1) Levels that high, you will do you more harm than good long term.
2) You need to have regular drink/food break intervals to control spikes in blood sugar levels.
3) Sounds like your boss is breaking a lot of employment rights. Go seek advice.

The main issue is that you must do what is best for your body and your health.

It doesn't sound like your happy in your work, this seems to be the main issue here. Stress, working conditions and a pushy boss.

Try to make small positive changes in your lifestyle every day, then that way your health will follow.

Find a way to destress and uncomplicate your lifestyle, you take control of the challenges ahead of you.

I hope you get your levels undercontrol and feel better.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thank you all for the information. I wasn't. Sure if it was just me thinking the situation was unfair. Being told to sort my diabetes in 1 day and return to work is an impossible task.

andbreath I will look into the union and thanks for the link.

1abrat the insulin pump does sound like the better option. To be honest i don't really know much about it but o think it's. Worth my time to read up and inquire about it at my next appointment

wilki.356 yea I understand what you are saying and you make some good points I am currently looking for new work while doing my current job hopefully that will change my situation for the better. The main reason I asked on here is I'm being threatened with a warning if I didn't turn up today. But thanks to everyone who has posted, my mind is at ease knowing that the manager os on the wrong.

thanks for the response everyone