Worried my daughter has type 2 diabetes

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I am so scared that my daughter has diabetes. Any advice would be appreciated.
My daughter is almost four, she is a little overweight but not obese.
I have tested her fasting levels on two occasions they were 5.4 and 5.6.
This was a while ago though.
In the weekend she was constantly saying she was hungry so I tested her blood sugar about an hour and a half after a small bowl of popcorn and quarter of an apple. It was 7.6 which I thought was way too high.
I once tested her blood sugar 2 hours after a chocolate biscuit and it was 6.5 and once an hour after one and a half weetbix, it was 9.4, two hours was 8.
She also has tiny bumps on her upper arms which can be caused by insulin resistance and a pot belly, she is not overweight otherwise.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My jaw just dropped - why on earth are you feeding the poor child on such junkfoods.
A growing child needs protein and fat to grow body and brain - of course she is constantly hungry.

SimonCrox

None of the random values have been more than 11.1 mmol/L, and none of the fasting levels have been more than 7.0 mmol/L. So none of the values are in the diabetic range.
The values after the weetabix are a bit higher than normal, but are not in the diabetic range; the fingerprick glucose tests are not perfectly accurate, but none of these values are in the diabetic range.
I guess that you are all taking care with healthy diet and lifestyle, like all thewestern population should
best wishes

Reactions: ziggy_w

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Maybe her hunger is just because she has a growth spurt going on?
Hi, yes it could be, I'm more worried about the blood sugar levels than the hunger. She would have only had about 20g of carbs when I tested her in the weekend, and 7.6 freaked me out

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
None of the random values have been more than 11.1 mmol/L, and none of the fasting levels have been more than 7.0 mmol/L. So none of the values are in the diabetic range.
The values after the weetabix are a bit higher than normal, but are not in the diabetic range; the fingerprick glucose tests are not perfectly accurate, but none of these values are in the diabetic range.
I guess that you are all taking care with healthy diet and lifestyle, like all thewestern population should
best wishes
We do eat pretty low carbs at home, she has a lot of carbs at day care though which is really worrying me, I'm going to ask if she can start having a packed lunch from home.