Worried re sugars and first HBA1c

RPNKW

Dear All

Firstly thank you for all the helpful things when I was newly diagnosed and running sugard of 16 plus after leaving hospital.

Back at work. Vision is better, first eye photo was fine (Quite fascinating to look at), weigh is stable at 14 stone 3 which beats the 16 or 17 stone I was before, the replica millenium dome I used to call a "Belly" is gone.

My blood sugars still worry me though, even thouigh they seem very improved.7 day average is 5.7 on my meter 14 day 5.9 and 30 day 5.9 and sometimes I have been testing like it's going out of style, not just at the usual 4 times a day (Though Ive missed about three in 2 months).

In the mornings my sugars seem to go up from 6am from 4.9 sometimes to 8. I was having a few late snacks too many and if I stop eating after my last meal things improve.

Exercise is good, using arms drops them more than brisk walks by the way. Sometimes sugars have gone to 3.8 and less but I can deal with this.

I just still get really anxious about going high anything from 7 up really gets me down as I feel I should be more in control by now.

I am wining with weight , meals , monitoring and excercise but I still drink too much red wine (Although this doesn't seem to push sugars up but does drop them later) though I am getting on top of this too.

Some web-sites **** me off as they all seem to have different figures as to what is "Normal". Some say 5-8 mm0/L some say "Keep at 4.6", any additional views would be good.Some of these people seem to want you to become a 24/7 Diabetic obsessive I would just like to try and get on with things without putting myself in a bad space re this thing.

I am still really worried about failing at this HBA1c thing though and getting a high score./ Was discharged from hospital on 26th April and haven't had it yet and have been told by my excellent diabetes nurse that my control has seemed good. I just get really low if I ever feel thirsty, or want to pee more than normal, or my eyes feel a bit funny, or I get a spot or boil. Leads to silly thoughts that it's all going to start up again even thogh the meter tells me otherwise.

Hopeful;ly I will stop being such a pest after this post but 2 months post discharge, despite an optimistic start I can still get really low. I also find my memory is ****, I lose more things and find it hard to focus on loads of things at once, anyone else had this? If you can advise please let me know.

RPNKW

l0vaduck

Wow! Your average is really low! Mine is typically 7. something, and my HbA1c is about 5.8% so yours will be amazingly low!

I have never found it possible to keep my level under 10 all day, let alone under 7.

You appear to be doing extremely well.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds Like you are doing better than me! My 14 day average is currently 7.3 but my nurse is happy. Haven't had my eye photo thingy yet - due 2/7 but have had another appt come thought for the end of July so need to chase that up tomorrow. Eyes still not perfect but better than they were.

Also getting my first Hba1c tomorrow and first meeting with the doctor since leaving the hospital. Have a huge list of questions now. I have only have one dietician appt so far - was due one lst week but I showed and it had been cancelled (nobody thought to tell me - I had done a nicely detailed food diary as well - waste of blinking time that was!). Have only just received a leaflet on carb counting and have done the on line one so will just start getting on with it my self!.

Best of luck for tomorrow- I guess we have to remember that the HBA1c result will include the month before we were diagnosed as well as our efforts since then so will just be a starting point to work on.

Louise

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi RPNKW,
I'm not sure that it's possible to drink "too much" red wine, is it? :D

It's looking good with those figures so far. Keep up the good work!
Remember with the hba1c test, there's no pass or fail - the best you can is good enough.

Whoever told you to keep your sugars at 4.6 must be a right barrel of laughs at a dinner party.

All the very best,
timo.

chocoholic

Wow. Your BS readings seem excellent to me. Mine are levelling out, finally, after 5 years. To be doing so well as quickly as you are,is commendable.

The Governor

Out of interest how are you calulating averages? Are you just adding all readings taken and dividing them by the amount?

Or are you taking readings at a specific time of day and using those to baseline your average?

Taking all my readings into account in the last 7 days, my average is 7.8, you won't believe I've got a spreadsheet going with a graph and everything, as well as Diabetes I think I have OCD!

Katharine

Hi Gov,

I take the averages for the specific time of day. I add them all up about once a week and decide if I'm going to make any changes to the insulin regime / carb sensitivity measurements. When Steven was in honeymoon I only did the averages once every 14 days and when we change anything I bring the interval down to three days.