Worst guilty food secret

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks. I have got a couple of pre and post prandial guidelines. I got the same figures off this website. They tend to alter though if you look around the internet.
These ones are the nice ones and the same as uk disbetes which is what the NHS use!
Too gird to type!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well you can have the ice cream.
100g of frozen berries (blitz in food processor till very tiny pieces)
100ml cream
1tsp sweetner
Add cream and sweetener to blitzed berries and blitz again. Strawberry or raspberry is best. My hubbie says it's the best strawberry ice cream he's ever had.
And it's guilt free! You can't freeze it. This is for 1 portion.
I already make that one, minus the sweetener, but it lacks the lovely crunchy biscuit cone. I need crunch with my slush. I've thought of adding nuts.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I already make that one, minus the sweetener, but it lacks the lovely crunchy biscuit cone. I need crunch with my slush. I've thought of adding nuts.
Sorry. Can't help with that one!

A

AnnieC

Well you can have the ice cream.
100g of frozen berries (blitz in food processor till very tiny pieces)
100ml cream
1tsp sweetner
Add cream and sweetener to blitzed berries and blitz again. Strawberry or raspberry is best. My hubbie says it's the best strawberry ice cream he's ever had.
And it's guilt free! You can't freeze it. This is for 1 portion.
Yes I make that but use half milk and half greek yogurt then maybe have a little cream on it... yummy

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
Do you parboil them first or straight In the deep fat fryer raw? x
i oven bake mine with bit oil on go sweet and if thin enough crispy x

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so many things I miss, chocolate, cake, crisps, chocolate, ben& Jerrys ice-cream. Only had these as very occasional treats pre-diagnosis.

As a vegi I used to eat virtually fat-free, high carb - tons of fruit, pasta, beans, rice, bread........ wow my diet is now so different!

I do make a 'chocolate mousse' using avocado, cocoa and cream which is delicious!

Used to have duaphinous potatoes at special occasions meals like my birthday and Christmas missed out for few years but going to try using celeriac this year.

I have discovered lots of new foods that I wouldn't eat before such as eggs and cauliflower - what would I do without cauliflower :)

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so many things I miss, chocolate, cake, crisps, chocolate, ben& Jerrys ice-cream. Only had these as very occasional treats pre-diagnosis.

As a vegi I used to eat virtually fat-free, high carb - tons of fruit, pasta, beans, rice, bread........ wow my diet is now so different!

I do make a 'chocolate mousse' using avocado, cocoa and cream which is delicious!

Used to have duaphinous potatoes at special occasions meals like my birthday and Christmas missed out for few years but going to try using celeriac this year.

I have discovered lots of new foods that I wouldn't eat before such as eggs and cauliflower - what would I do without cauliflower :)

The celeriac dauphinose is very nice with cream, but celeriac mash is horrid, it needs carrots or something adding to it, I put soft cheese in it as well, very odd lol.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...there's a new cake shop opened up near me, less than two minutes' walk away......even looking in there makes me drool...its been there nearly a month now but I haven't given in................yet! feel so saintly , my halo doesn't even need polishing lol :facepalm: ...

...however, went up to London with family a few weeks ago to watch Mamma Mia..... ordered a cheeseburger without the bun at a restaurant and when it arrived it was with sweet potato chips, I'd forgotten to ask for salad instead.....needless to say I couldn't resist and scoffed the lot.......heaven, never had them before....:p ... I hadn't taken my meter with me and by the time I got home late evening it was normal, bet it wasn't inbetween times though....:oops:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
...there's a new cake shop opened up near me, less than two minutes' walk away......even looking in there makes me drool...its been there nearly a month now but I haven't given in................yet! feel so saintly , my halo doesn't even need polishing lol :facepalm: ...

...however, went up to London with family a few weeks ago to watch Mamma Mia..... ordered a cheeseburger without the bun at a restaurant and when it arrived it was with sweet potato chips, I'd forgotten to ask for salad instead.....needless to say I couldn't resist and scoffed the lot.......heaven, never had them before....:p ... I hadn't taken my meter with me and by the time I got home late evening it was normal, bet it wasn't inbetween times though....:oops:
You see I think that the occasional thing is ok and stops us reverting back to our old lethal ways. As you said, you haven't gone to the cake shop. In the past when going out I'd have had all 3 courses and shared a bottle of wine. Now we make choices! It's the wine I miss!

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:happy:
You see I think that the occasional thing is ok and stops us reverting back to our old lethal ways. As you said, you haven't gone to the cake shop. In the past when going out I'd have had all 3 courses and shared a bottle of wine. Now we make choices! It's the wine I miss!

Perhaps thats why I make wine my choice!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 150ml glass of red usually 4 nights a week. It is supposed to be good for you in lots of ways.

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A nice ice cold pint of guinness would do me.. While im waiting for her to settle might be able to sink a magnum icecream aswell lol :)

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A nice ice cold pint of guinness would do me.. While im waiting for her to settle might be able to sink a magnum icecream aswell lol :)

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Love a pint of Guinness, not had one for a while :(

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love a pint of Guinness, not had one for a while :(
Me neither. Not since being diabetic anyway. Is makin me thirsty now thinking about it.. :| anyway, i guess good things come to those who wait lol :p

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The celeriac dauphinose is very nice with cream, but celeriac mash is horrid, it needs carrots or something adding to it, I put soft cheese in it as well, very odd lol.
I love celeriac mash, plan to have some this week with kiver, onions and gravy. Yum.

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I am prediabetic though my last Ha1c test was down to 37. I am not going to be complacent though because I still see myself as potentially diabetic. I never did eat a lot of chocolate or sugary foods, though I was a pasta and pie fan. I maybe ate a pudding once a month and it would be something and custard. I did like cheesecake but even then only an occasional slice every few weeks.

All that said, it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and altered my diet that I realised how many things I was missing. I still do because I am trying to stick to low carb higher fat. For some strange reason I long for a bar of chocolate; not the 70% and above cocoa solids kind, but a common old bar of something. I would love a crumble and custard. So far I haven't succumbed to these yearnings but I can't see me going much longer without something very sweet....something ordinary and 'normal'.

What I wanted to ask is:
Who has a guilty secret? ( not any more if you reply to this) If you crack once in a while, what is it that you go for? Sweet stuff? Pastry? Other white carbs like baked potatoes?

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am prediabetic though my last Ha1c test was down to 37. I am not going to be complacent though because I still see myself as potentially diabetic. I never did eat a lot of chocolate or sugary foods, though I was a pasta and pie fan. I maybe ate a pudding once a month and it would be something and custard. I did like cheesecake but even then only an occasional slice every few weeks.

All that said, it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and altered my diet that I realised how many things I was missing. I still do because I am trying to stick to low carb higher fat. For some strange reason I long for a bar of chocolate; not the 70% and above cocoa solids kind, but a common old bar of something. I would love a crumble and custard. So far I haven't succumbed to these yearnings but I can't see me going much longer without something very sweet....something ordinary and 'normal'.

What I wanted to ask is:
Who has a guilty secret? ( not any more if you reply to this) If you crack once in a while, what is it that you go for? Sweet stuff? Pastry? Other white carbs like baked potatoes?

i make lemon coconut curd with sweetener. I replace the butter with coconut cream very sweet works for mr

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading this thread has made my mouth water a little bit! For me it's chocolate something like a kitkat chunky mmmmm. I must admit having being a diabetic from 11 I have slipped up over the years but been very good lately with carb counting etc and I find if I slip up I then slip up again and again so I have to go cold turkey as I have no self control otherwise

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App