Wot next.

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really easy to use. I was surprised just how well I managed it. Thanks for your advice re getting upset about results. You'll understand how I feel as it has just happened to you too.

Reactions: 4 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Marion, glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive and finding the meter really easy to use. In no time at all you will be testing your bg without even thinking about it, a bit like brushing your teeth it will just become part of your daily routine.

It is early days so just take your time and take baby steps, ask questions, read the Forums and other people's post, you will be amazed how quickly you pick up information and tips. We are all in the same boat and it is great being able to share your fears and triumphs with a great big friendly family, it is also a great motivator to keep levels under control.

Keep up the good work, and let us know how your are getting on.

Marilyn x

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Marion I think I will order one. I haven't got a meter yet. How are you today? :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome,as you can see there are lots of friendly people to help and advise,I have felt so much better since joining the forum in June,I read through threads and learn a lot.I was very anxious at first,I dont know how long I had been diabetic,I would not have known if I hadnt moved house and changed doctors.I had no symptions apart from numb feet which I didnt think much about.
I got a moniter and i am learning what I can eat and its working out well,what i have found is I can eat more on the days I go swimming so exersize helps a lot,
All the best you are not alone.

Reactions: 5 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

You are in the right place. You may think your bg readings are high at the moment, but they will start to come down when you can identify what you can and can't eat.

Reactions: 2 people

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yippee....5.8 tonight two hours after meal. After getting 9.7 last night I am really happy with that. Went for cycle and walked dogs today so it may have made a difference. Also noted what I ate last night is a no no from now on. Well chuffed.

Reactions: 3 people

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Marion I think I will order one. I haven't got a meter yet. How are you today? :)
I am good today. Got 5.8 after meal tonight. The meter is really easy to use. Im a real woose so worried about the lancet. No prob at all. Didn't hurt a bit. M.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Bought an accu check nano. Tested at 6.45 (just to try it). 5.3. Tried again 2 hrs later after meal it was 9.7....Done it again this morning and it was 7.7. Looking at charts two of these are really high. All at sea as really don't no what I'm doing..Hopefully I will get a better understanding when I speak to nurse. Feel like a bit out of control. Please tell me this will get better.Quite angry as it is like the docs just delivered a bombshell and then walked away. Pardon the pun but 'a could greet'....
What was on the menu before the 9.7?

Try this systematic technique: Test, Review, Adjust. If you do not know when you peak, start with one hour after your last bite.

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Try this systematic technique: Test, Review, Adjust. If you do not know when you peak, start with one hour after your last bite.

I had fried fish with breadcrumbs, three small potatoes and peas. Also had half glass of bud. Last night I had a small sirlion steak, two small potatoes and brussel sprouts. No alcohol. Got 5.8. However this morning my bg is 8.1.

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone recommend a good book I can buy to help me with food choices for t2.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I had fried fish with breadcrumbs, three small potatoes and peas. Also had half glass of bud. Last night I had a small sirlion steak, two small potatoes and brussel sprouts. No alcohol. Got 5.8. However this morning my bg is 8.1.
The breadcrumbs and spuds were the likely cause. Please try some tests at your peak after meals to see what is really happening.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Bud won't have done you any favours. Beer is liquid sugar. Try red wine.

For your steak meal, the following morning high may well have been the protein from the steak reacting late. protein can have this nasty habit of digesting too slowly and showing some effects many hours later. Was it a huge steak? There could also have been a liver dump when you first woke up, which many people experience. Not a lot you can do about it.

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Bud won't have done you any favours. Beer is liquid sugar. Try red wine.

For your steak meal, the following morning high may well have been the protein from the steak reacting late. protein can have this nasty habit of digesting too slowly and showing some effects many hours later. Was it a huge steak? There could also have been a liver dump when you first woke up, which many people experience. Not a lot you can do about it.
Very small steak. I will stop the buds and have a red wine instead. Don't really drink much but on holiday at moment so maybe over indulging a little. Thanks for that advice. Everythings a learning curve at the moment. If it wasn't for you guys I'd be lost. Thanks again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It probably wasn't the steak if it was a small one. Other than a liver dump I can't explain the high morning reading - unless you tested after getting up and pottering about for a bit? Best to test as soon as you get out of bed.

Red wine or most spirits (with sugar free mixers) are generally OK in moderation.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Or dry white wine is also OK. Must be dry though - or Brut champagne!

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just bought two small bottles ( equivalent of a med glass each) of red blossom hill. Might have one later. Spent two days painting my shed (Ronseal - forrest green) and the paints running off in the rain. How much can a woman take. Diabetic and **** paint. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any...

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look on the bright side marion07 at least the grass will be green, unless the sheds on gravel or slabs!! In that case have a glass of wine LOL ;)

Reactions: 3 people

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sheds on grass. However I have three large dogs who check the parameters at every opportunity for pensioners or toddlers (anyone in between and I'm on my own). Still green flashes might just be the in thing in the canine world.. who knows. Glass of vino me thinks..

marion07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The breadcrumbs and spuds were the likely cause. Please try some tests at your peak after meals to see what is really happening.
Read ur blog Alan. It was fab. Going to make that my bible. Everything explained in laymans terms. Thanks again..