Would you believe it?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Yesterday, I attended a diabetes research conference in Oxford. There were some excellent speakers, especially the professor who is working on the problems of young adults wih diabetes and their relationship with alcohol. Very amusing in places. She did however inform us that middle aged people actually do more binge drinking than kids. they are just not such a nuisance!
However, when talking to one of the doctors afterwards, I was informed that it's Ok to give 2 litres of IV 5% dextrose to a diabetic, because it's only water.
I would have hoped that a senior level doctor working in the field of diabetes care would know that a] 2 litres of 5% dextrose contains 100grams of glucose and b] a normal human adult has about 5 grams of glucose dissolved in his/her TOTAL blood volume. He also said that 2 Weetabix and a slice of wholemeal toast is a well balanced breakfast. [I work that out to about 110grams of carbs, if you add in some milk!]
I do so hope, that I'm never dependent on that doctor for my treatment.

I suspect, I'd end up one of the mistakes that doctors bury
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
He also said that 2 Weetabix and a slice of wholemeal toast is a well balanced breakfast. [I work that out to about 110grams of carbs, if you add in some milk!]

Your carb counting skills need updated Hana, 2 Weetabix with 100ml of milk is around 31g of carbs, unless the bread is cut like a doorstep it won't come anywhere near 80g of carbs :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not the best balanced breakfast but 110g carbs ? I'm glad that you aren't calculating my insulin!
(there are 25.7g carb in 2 Weetabix http://www.weetabix.co.uk/products/cere ... nformation so you'd have to have an enormously thick piece of toast, plus a bucket of milk to get to 110g carbs).
whoops, didn't see Nigel's post!

As for the 5% glucose, surely it depends upon the situation. If I were very ill, and not eating or vomiting (Edited to make clear) I would continue to take insulin, and probably more insulin than normal but I would also try to drink sugary drinks (my doc recommends flat coca cola!)
I think you are referring to the use of sliding scales and the infusion of dextrose. There are a lot of NHS protocols online for the use of sliding scales in illness, Ive had no experience with them I can't really comment,I know that there use is controversial.
I would point out that the glucose is normally administered at the same time as insulin. Typically they introduce the glucose when levels fall below 15mmol/l , at that level according to this protocol, they are put in 3u of actrapid an hour . I think the problem is with the bluntness of the instrument which takes into account the need for more insulin in illness to avoid DKA but not the individuality of the patient. ( I normally only take 0.3-0.5u an hour so I suspect that even with 5% glucose I could end up hypo)
http://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk/fo ... pr2007.pdf (p11)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
noblehead said:
hanadr said:
He also said that 2 Weetabix and a slice of wholemeal toast is a well balanced breakfast. [I work that out to about 110grams of carbs, if you add in some milk!]

Your carb counting skills need updated Hana, 2 Weetabix with 100ml of milk is around 31g of carbs, unless the bread is cut like a doorstep it won't come anywhere near 80g of carbs :)

Weetabix was my favourite cereal, but I only had one and maybe a small slice of wholemeal bread, lovely memories aahhhhhhhhhhh.

t getting back to the carb content it would probably be going towards 45/50 carbs with the slice of toast as well, but that's an awful lot for breakfast :eek:

It is the youngsters I feel for :(

Best wishes RRB

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sorry guys!
I don't carb count routinely and I looked Weetabix up wrong, however, I still wouldn't eat it. The doctor said it was high in fibre too, and having checked the book again, it isn't! I'd rather have a scrambled egg and a slice of Livlife bread. they are SMALL slices.3.8g carb and 2.1 of fibre. I have salad type veggies later in the day. I don't eat a lot of fruit.
I'm still glad I don't have to depend on him for my safety
Hana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
phoenix said:
Not the best balanced breakfast but 110g carbs ? I'm glad that you aren't calculating my insulin!
(there are 25.7g carb in 2 Weetabix http://www.weetabix.co.uk/products/cere ... nformation so you'd have to have an enormously thick piece of toast, plus a bucket of milk to get to 110g carbs).
whoops, didn't see Nigel's post!

As for the 5% glucose, surely it depends upon the situation. If I were very ill, I would continue to take insulin, and probably more insulin than normal but I would also try to drink sugary drinks (my doc recommends flat coca cola!)
I think you are referring to the use of sliding scales and the infusion of dextrose. There are a lot of NHS protocols online for the use of sliding scales in illness, Ive had no experience with them I can't really comment,I know that there use is controversial.
I would point out that the glucose is normally administered at the same time as insulin. Typically they introduce the glucose when levels fall below 15mmol/l , at that level according to this protocol, they are put in 3u of actrapid an hour . I think the problem is with the bluntness of the instrument which takes into account the need for more insulin in illness to avoid DKA but not the individuality of the patient. ( I normally only take 0.3-0.5u an hour so I suspect that even with 5% glucose I could end up hypo)
http://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk/fo ... pr2007.pdf (p11)

Hi , I know I was on a sliding scale after having my daughter by caesarean under an general anaesthetic. Nil by mouth for days and my BS was constantly around 15, that's really all I knew at the time, but what was actually going into my body from the sliding scale I couldn't tell you (that was 13 years ago now).

Hana, I do need to say that giving such misleading information regarding carb intake of foods, which would mean a massive Insulin dosage would be extremely dangerous, especially to a newly diagnosed diabetic who has to come to terms with tackling all the issues with Type 1 diabetes.

RRB

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a doctor to say two weetabix and a slice of toast is a good breakfast for a diabetic is unbelievable especially for those of us with type 2.

Unbeliever

tonyS54 said:
For a doctor to say two weetabix and a slice of toast is a good breakfast for a diabetic is unbelievable especially for those of us with type 2.

Wouldn't have thought it was parcularly good for anyone. Whether Hana made a mistake with the carb count or not the principle is the same.

B

badcat

tonyS54 said:

It's still all a case of timing in relation to the amount of function your pancreas has, and the level of insulin resistance your cells have
I've been diagnosed T2 for nigh on 20 years - at first 2 wetabix or porridge or wholmeal toast was a fine breakfast for me, but now is way too high in carbs and would send my BM's through the roof

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a T1 diabetic alone i would have happily eaten that for breakfast (possibly with a banana as well) and just carb counted it. No big problem especially if i had a big day ( outdoor activities/walking)

as a coeliac i see this as a much bigger problem! Its all about perspecive I guess.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BG levels aside, I couldn't face that much food in the morning. But I used to love Weetabix with hot milk. Ah memories! Sigh:(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Sorry but what is wrong with 2 Weetabix a day for breakfast? I have mine with either sliced strawberries or blueberries and milk. Used to have Oats so Simple but didn't want hot breakfast during the summer months. . . .Huh, thought I was doing well too. :clap: :crazy:

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I have 2 weetabix with berries for breakfast and 2 hours later I'm hypo with a reading of 3.3 !

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
many on restricted carb diets would consider weetabix too carby (me included)
which sucks because they were my breakfast of choice pre dx :(

many would of course consider them fine :) yay for them :D

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
It's strange as this only happens with the amount of carbs in the Weetabix. I have other cereals with the same number of carbs and have no problem. Just have to remember to lower the insulin dose with Weetabix.