Would you book a holiday knowing your child may well be t1 by the time it comes round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We'd possibly like to book Disneyland Paris for next easter - booking early makes it a fair bit cheaper - and my husband doesn't want to go this year as he says my daughter is too young as only 2.
However it is likely that at some point - although I don't know exactly when - she is going to develop t1. It is strongly genetic in my family and she has had some high blood sugars here and there.
So we either book it and take out insurance and not tell the children so they aren't disappointed when we have to cancel or just leave it for now and accept we can't go.

If you knew you had a child that was likely to develop t1 what would you do?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If she wasn't diagnosed at the time of booking then your insurance will be valid. But are you saying you wouldn't want to go if she was T1?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If she wasn't diagnosed at the time of booking then your insurance will be valid. But are you saying you wouldn't want to go if she was T1?

Yes. There is no way I would take a toddler with diabetes to Disneyland. Particularly a newly diagnosed one.
A similar thing happened to my parents - I was diagnosed in the February aged 11 and we were meant to be going to Spain in the summer and they claimed off their insurance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My opinion is that you can’t live your life being ruled by what might happen. You’d never do anything and your kids will miss out. Anyone booking a holiday might get an unexpected diagnosis, that’s what insurance is for. Maybe surprise your children with the holiday, we did that once with my kids when they were younger, their faces were a joy to behold, but surprise them for the right reasons.

Reactions: Picci

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So are you going to risk never taking your children on holiday? You have repeatedly tested your daughter and her bloods are normal.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please explain why a T1 diabetic child shouldn't go to Disneyland.
How many restrictions are you going to place in your daughters life based on your own personal problems.
Your daughter does not have diabetes, she is showing no signs of diabetes and you have no way of foretelling the future.
Sooner or later for the sake of your daughter this needs to be sorted out.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Again, you're projecting and predicting outcomes. That's not the way I'd live my life, guarantee it, far less than impose it on others.

Last edited:

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We all have our limits of risk and for me, personally, the anxiety over taking a t1 child abroad and the potential risks would outweigh the enjoyment. We would holiday in the UK.
I wish really my husband would agree to going this year.
I haven't checked my daughter in some time but I plan to go through trial net once she turns three.
Does anyone know if the antibodies come back positive if that affects things like insurance?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How does your husband feel about your assumption that your daughter will develop t1?

Reactions: therower

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
He agrees that given the family history and given that we've seen 8s and 9s it is quite likely at some point that she will develop t1.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You were diagnosed at 11 yrs old, what's to say your daughter won't be diagnosed at 11 yrs old as well?
That's 9 yrs of undiagnosed fun she could have, Disneyland included
Does insurance, which to all intents and purposes is down to money, more important than your daughters happiness?
Perhaps you could ask your husband to join the forum so we could hear his opinions on this subject, I'm assuming he is the father and should be allowed to have his input.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd wait till she's at least 6 as she'll enjoy it more.

T1 or not.....

Reactions: becca59

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - yes - why ever not?
Diagnosed or not - what is the problem?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haven't we been here before? My recollection is that there's been a number of lengthy threads discussing in detail why there are no obvious indicators of the wee one being anywhere near being T1.

Even if she does develop it, there's a tweet which went viral which suggests Disneyland is entirely the best place to be:

dRbxmGA.jpg

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We'd possibly like to book Disneyland Paris for next easter - booking early makes it a fair bit cheaper - and my husband doesn't want to go this year as he says my daughter is too young as only 2.
However it is likely that at some point - although I don't know exactly when - she is going to develop t1. It is strongly genetic in my family and she has had some high blood sugars here and there.
So we either book it and take out insurance and not tell the children so they aren't disappointed when we have to cancel or just leave it for now and accept we can't go.

If you knew you had a child that was likely to develop t1 what would you do?

If I was a young kid and had just been told I'd need to spend the rest of my life jabbing things into me and checking numbers, I think a trip to Disneyland would be just the ticket to cheer me up no end and show me that life keeps going on and can be filled with fun things just like anyone else's.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You were diagnosed at 11 yrs old, what's to say your daughter won't be diagnosed at 11 yrs old as well?
That's 9 yrs of undiagnosed fun she could have, Disneyland included
Does insurance, which to all intents and purposes is down to money, more important than your daughters happiness?
Perhaps you could ask your husband to join the forum so we could hear his opinions on this subject, I'm assuming he is the father and should be allowed to have his input.

Once there have been abnormal blood sugars - and 8s and 9s ARE abnormal - it's usually less than two years to diagnosis. According to trial net anyway. When they pick up antibody positive people once they get abnormal OGTT then they usually develop frank diabetes in less than two years so I think it's unlikely to be another nine years, although of course I can't know for sure.

I would be very hesitant to take a t1 child abroad, particularly a very little one. Stuff that could go wrong is too long to list.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I was a young kid and had just been told I'd need to spend the rest of my life jabbing things into me and checking numbers, I think a trip to Disneyland would be just the ticket to cheer me up no end and show me that life keeps going on and can be filled with fun things just like anyone else's.

Or it highlights that you ARENT like all the other kids who can eat what they want in this magical place and not worry about numbers.

Reactions: Engineer88

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ExtremelyW0rried . Your daughter needs help. Please for her sake get it for her. No child deserves this in their lives. I only hope that intervention comes soon for her.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once there have been abnormal blood sugars - and 8s and 9s ARE abnormal - it's usually less than two years to diagnosis. According to trial net anyway. When they pick up antibody positive people once they get abnormal OGTT then they usually develop frank diabetes in less than two years so I think it's unlikely to be another nine years, although of course I can't know for sure.

I would be very hesitant to take a t1 child abroad, particularly a very little one. Stuff that could go wrong is too long to list.
Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm or anything, but theme parks are tedious for t1s anyway :p and water parks are worse, I took my then 9 year old to Port Adventura in Spain on my own a couple of years back (budget Disney :) ) I had to wear combat shorts for the pockets for all my d things on the rides bad time to find that your late 40s isn't for roller coasters and stash in a locker in the water park.

Fantastic holiday tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: therower
Status
Not open for further replies.