Wrong move

Stano39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HELLO EVERYONE. ON THE 12, 7, 16 I RECIEVED MY FREESTYLE LIBRE. THERE REP. TALKED ME THROUGH IT AND WAS THERE WHEN I APPLIED MY SENSOR. I SCANED THE SENSOR AND WAS TOLD IT WOULD TAKE 60 MINS TO SET IT'S SELF UP SO I WAITED UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING UNTIL I USED IT. THE READING WAS VERY LOW SO I PRICKED MY FINGER AND GOT THE CORRECT READING. IT KEPT GIVING ME LOW READINGS FOR THE REST OF THE DAY SO I CALLED THERE HELPLINE. AFTER SPEAKING TO A HELPFUL MAN WHO TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD TAKE ANOTHER 24 HOURS TO SETTLE DOWN, SO AGAIN I WAITED. ON THE 15, 7, 16 I STARTED USING IT AGAIN BUT IT STILL WAS GIVING LOW READINGS SO I HAD TO CONTINUE PRICKING MY FINGERS. THE IDEA BEHIND ME GETTING THIS NOT SO CLEVER FREESTYLE LIBRE IS BECAUSE I ALSO HAVE PARKINSONS WHICH GIVES ME A VERY BAD TREMOR AND I STRUGGLE TO PRICK MY FINGER'S MOST OF THE TIME IT TAKES ME FOUR OR FIVE ATTEMPTS UNTIL I GET IT RIGHT. I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM USING MY PEN TO INJECT MY INSULIN. I CALLED THERE HELPLINE AGAIN AND GOT CUT OFF HALFWAY THROUGH MY CONVERSATION. I FEEL VERY LET DOWN BY ABBOTT LABORATORIES. I FIND IT VERY EXPENSIVE FOR SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Stano39 and welcome to the forum.

I would ring them back and report the faulty sensor, with luck you will get through to a different operative who will replace the sensor for you.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HELLO EVERYONE. ON THE 12, 7, 16 I RECIEVED MY FREESTYLE LIBRE. THERE REP. TALKED ME THROUGH IT AND WAS THERE WHEN I APPLIED MY SENSOR. I SCANED THE SENSOR AND WAS TOLD IT WOULD TAKE 60 MINS TO SET IT'S SELF UP SO I WAITED UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING UNTIL I USED IT. THE READING WAS VERY LOW SO I PRICKED MY FINGER AND GOT THE CORRECT READING. IT KEPT GIVING ME LOW READINGS FOR THE REST OF THE DAY SO I CALLED THERE HELPLINE. AFTER SPEAKING TO A HELPFUL MAN WHO TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD TAKE ANOTHER 24 HOURS TO SETTLE DOWN, SO AGAIN I WAITED. ON THE 15, 7, 16 I STARTED USING IT AGAIN BUT IT STILL WAS GIVING LOW READINGS SO I HAD TO CONTINUE PRICKING MY FINGERS. THE IDEA BEHIND ME GETTING THIS NOT SO CLEVER FREESTYLE LIBRE IS BECAUSE I ALSO HAVE PARKINSONS WHICH GIVES ME A VERY BAD TREMOR AND I STRUGGLE TO PRICK MY FINGER'S MOST OF THE TIME IT TAKES ME FOUR OR FIVE ATTEMPTS UNTIL I GET IT RIGHT. I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM USING MY PEN TO INJECT MY INSULIN. I CALLED THERE HELPLINE AGAIN AND GOT CUT OFF HALFWAY THROUGH MY CONVERSATION. I FEEL VERY LET DOWN BY ABBOTT LABORATORIES. I FIND IT VERY EXPENSIVE FOR SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I think Abbott usually like to make sure the sensor is well settled in before replacing them.

Personally, I have found the Libre works best, for me, when I apply the sensor then wat 40 hours before I activate it. That's just me, but some others have found it best to wait a while before scanning it. My theory, and it is only my hunch, is that my body gets a bit uppity when the sensor is applied - a bit like it does if I have a splinter, perhaps, and tries to reject it. As I understand it, this rejection effort results in extra fluid going to the "injured" area to try to flush it out (like it would try to get rid of splinter on its own. Do you see what I mean?

Moving forward, please do call Abbott again. Unfortunately, any call can get cut off, just by bad luck. I accept it's very frustrating, when you're already feeling frustrated, but at least provided you are using the correct number (I use 0500 467466) the calls are free. I have never seen a charge on either my mobile or landline for Abbott support calls.

I have honestly found Abbott support to be very helpful, and they haven't even paid me to say that!

Good luck with it all. Once you have experienced a decent run of readings, you'll be hooked on it, like the rest of us.

Reactions: 4 people