Wrongly diagnosed?

foobar1245

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey all

I've recently been diagnosed as prediabetic however I have my doubts about this tbh (for a few reasons)

My question is how many blood tests did you guys have before being diagnosed? How many borderline vs absolutely perfect creates the pattern to say prediabetic?

And also, is it possible to get the Dr's to withdraw the diagnosis if you can prove it was a mistake? (I know it'll take some doing for that -_- )

Thanks in advance ☺️

Reactions: Jordi77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

I've recently been diagnosed as prediabetic however I have my doubts about this tbh (for a few reasons)

My question is how many blood tests did you guys have before being diagnosed? How many borderline vs absolutely perfect creates the pattern to say prediabetic?

And also, is it possible to get the Dr's to withdraw the diagnosis if you can prove it was a mistake? (I know it'll take some doing for that -_- )

Thanks in advance ☺️
I was already quite thoroughly diabetic when diagnosed. If there had been prediabetic test results before that, they were never mentioned, as those don't usually get medicated anyway. Usually for diabetes there are two HbA1c tests done to confirm diagnosis, doubt things are that thorough on prediabetes though. They're mainly just a signal that it's something to keep an eye on. Do you happen to know what your results were? And why do you doubt the diagnosis? Is there anemia present, for instance, as that can skew results.

Dunno how high or low on the prediabetic scale you are/were, but if it is a matter of prediabetes, you could just lower carbs some and have good results at the next test, if you're up for that...

Anyway, we can't really say a whole lot without specifics, as there's a LOT of factors all over the place that are of influence.... Genetics, medication for other conditions, working night shifts for instance, so it's a bit hard to say what's what. But aside from some rare blood conditions and/or anemia, a HbA1c is more often than not, quite right. And if it's just the one, who knows, you could be reversed and the slate wiped clean yet.

Hope this helps a little,
Jo

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

Thanks in advance ☺️
Why do you think the diagnosis may be wrong? Many millions of people have it without knowing because it can asymptomatic for decades before it gets to the (arbitrary) levels set by various nations.

And, did you know weight gain is a symptom of it, not a cause?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

Thanks in advance ☺️
Technically you haven't been diagnosed with anything as "pre-diabetes" isn't a disease. It however means your blood glucose is no longer within the normal BG range - see the attached graph.

In the UK the medics call anyone with an HbA1c reading of 42-48 "prediabetic", because they will no longer make a diagnosis of diabetes unless the BG is higher than 48. When I was between 42 and 48, I had many diabetic symptoms. Other people don't.

What was your A1c reading? And why do you think it's a mistake? There's always an allowable error in the test but the value depends on who you listen to - some people say it's 3%, others 6%, depending on the test used.

Attachments

• HB copy.jpg
    HB copy.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Melgar

Paul41

Hey all

Thanks in advance

You haven’t been diagnosed with T2 you have been told you are pre diabetic. It’s a big difference.

But it isn’t clear how or why you think what you’ve been told is wrong.

Anyway you will probably be offered a further A1C test or if not you could ask for one.

I guess you have a choice to act on the A1C result or you could ignore it.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all

Thanks in advance
It's not a diagnosis its an observation. In the GP record it will be noted that you had 'non diabetic hyoerglycaemia' but you wouldn't be diagnosed with anything unless you reach diabetes HbA1C which isn't a given. If you're concerned your result is inaccurate, which is quite unlikely, you can always ask them to repeat the blood test in 3 months.

foobar1245

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah thank you!! The way they were on at me I didn't realise its not a proper diagnosis.
I've just had shocking care from them, including lost records, misdiagnosis. i was definitely judged by appearance too. unfortunately unable to go to a different surgery.
I've had 3 tests; 1st 'bad' (suspect alcohol hindered the accuracy), 2nd 'perfect' Dr was shocked I'd managed to make it drop so fast (I didn't do a thing) 3rd 'bad' (not sure what was different.
The last bad blood says
"Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 45 mmol/mol [18.0 - 41.0]; HbA1c is recommended for diagnosis of diabetes in
non-pregnant patients at 48 mmol/mol or above. 1 raised reading between 42-47 in last 3 years" (what happened to the 1st bad reading??)

Last edited:

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prediabetes or you may want to think of it as Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT), means your blood sugars are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed diabetic. You are naturally upset over this label, but think of it as an opportunity. Life has kind of cut you a break, I know you don’t see it that way, but most people don’t find out until their blood sugars are very high and are diagnosed as diabetic and already doing damage to your vascular system and organ. Your blood sugars are up and down, shifting between normal and raised, because you are in the early days of raised blood sugars and what you eat can push it over or under depending on the carbs you are consuming.

It’s important you don’t ignore it. You may just need to cut down on some of your carby meals, and beer if you drink it, but at least you are aware of it. That’s the thing. You can do something about it. You have had lots of advice already from very knowledgeable people here. Any questions just ask.

foobar1245

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not upset with the diagnosis I'm upset with the care I'm getting, and if it was wrongful I'd want to reverse so I can go private without that being a preexisting condition/ excluded from cover because I'm sure I will face it in the future

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one test - with a result of 42 - right at the start of pre-diabetic range. I found out by text message from surgery which asked me to enrol on a preventive programme. I will not get another HbA1C test until November which will be 1 year after my first one.

I have taken the result as an early warning and have taken steps with my diet (gone lchf) to try to avoid a full type 2 diagnosis for as long as possible if at all.

My advice is to not ignore it - as others have said you have the opportunity to do something about it now.

Reactions: Outlier and Melgar

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is how many blood tests did you guys have before being diagnosed?

Earlier this year my GP warned me my fasting blood glucose was "almost" in the pre-diabetic range. It was 6mmol/L which, if I'd been in the US, would have put me squarely in the pre-diabetic range (US only) I believe, if there was a corresponding test to confirm it. I asked about other tests like HbA1c, but she was not inclined to order them, telling me she thought next year would be time enough to see what happens. (She did offer another fasting test this year if I really wanted it, but I took her advice and will wait till next year's tests).

However she did firmly warn me about diet - to cut down carbs, particularly simple carbs, sugars etc. which I've done.

I can tell I have a problem through monitoring my blood glucose via finger tip testing. It spikes too high if I eat some things. That might be an idea if you're not sure about the diagnosis but want to err on the side of caution.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is interesting to me , I was told over the phone by a surgery doctor that I was diabetic after one blood test , through me completely as didn’t understand , one month later another test I was not diabetic,in the in between time I had been told about this site , alway such a great help.
now on low carbs

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I didn't have a blood test when I was diagnosed as a diabetic even from the GP practice or the hospital when I was in the only thing I had done was a urine test and that came up with more colours than the test strip could give out and that's when the GP called the hospital and ordered me a bed and I was in a for a few days and in that time I was only given water samples and in my arms glucose and insulin and potassium chloride solution and when they eventually checked my blood sugars it was sky high and it eventually came down over 24 hours or so and that was the only blood I give out to anyone other than that every time I go to the hospital to see the doctor now I give blood but that's the only time