X-pert health.org.uk

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha ha

I've just had an invitation to attend a six week group diabetes education programme, designed to help me self manage my diabetes.

Will I be going?

Why would I? It's 8 months after my diagnosis and I'm already managing myself thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would go, they will have cake and sweet biscuits for morning tea and a nice pasta bake and mash potato for lunch, as per the healthy plate.

You might lean about carb counting and some other stuff, so overall it could be ok.

Reactions: 9 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I already know about carb counting and my HbA1c has reduced from 115 on diagnosis in November to 35 in May. My 3 x 500 metformin gradually reduced and doctor has said ok to trying without until next HbA1c in November when it will be reviewed. I'm also no longer obese but overweight. I've gone from size 24/26 to size 14/16. I'm on a LCHF diet, max 50g carbs a day. I walk 4-5km most days.

At this point, I don't need to join a group. I'm not really a groupie person .

My main point is the tardiness of the invitation. I could have been someone floundering and doing damage to my body. 8 months is a long time.

I work full time and have a stressful job so I don't want to join something just to see what it's like.

Apologies for the rant.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha ha

I've just had an invitation to attend a six week group diabetes education programme, designed to help me self manage my diabetes.

Will I be going?

Why would I? It's 8 months after my diagnosis and I'm already managing myself thank you.

Snap. Perhaps we could go together and cause mayhem? I noticed the course leaders are our own practice nurses.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree its 7 months 2 weeks late (you need 2 weeks after diagnosis to settle down from the shock)
But that's how it is, even for t1, I've read here they are sent hope with their insulin and no idea

As you know you are doing very well and have no real need to go.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We didn't go. Quite honestly, I saw such a thing as part of the NHS punishment programme (ritual mortification, along with the ****-a-lot tablets), rather like having to turn up to see a probation officer or being put in the stocks, for the crime of being a fat nuisance. Not going didn't do us any harm. But others may find Desmond/Expert etc as comforting, reassuring and informative. I think it's important to decide which camp you are in and react accordingly. Nobody should feel obliged to go.
Sally

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We didn't go. Quite honestly, I saw such a thing as part of the NHS punishment programme (ritual mortification, along with the ****-a-lot tablets), rather like having to turn up to see a probation officer or being put in the stocks, for the crime of being a fat nuisance. Not going didn't do us any harm. But others may find Desmond/Expert etc as comforting, reassuring and informative. I think it's important to decide which camp you are in and react accordingly. Nobody should feel obliged to go.
Sally
i quite understand others may find it comforting etc. I don't really feel obliged to go I just think it's a bit late however anyone is managing their condition.

I've seen my nurse several times and she's never mentioned it.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you are doing well then as an individual perhaps it wouldn't be useful for you so fair enough, though I personally have always found something new on any course I have done.
But how does anyone know what the course is like without going on it for themselves?

If you search this forum ,you will find quite a few people who have found it to be a very good course. One of it's aims is ' 'to empower patients to enabling them to make informed decisions about their lifestyle and management of their condition' Surely a worthwhile aim. It is documented as being successful in at 14 months leading to a variety of improvements compared with people who had individual appointments (and I expect they would have done better than those just left to themselves)
.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=E14149F4A6738EE9C9A6447A16C4F412.f03t02

The course and research project (as above) was designed by Dr Trudi Deakin who you may remember was praised for her speech at the DUK conference on carbohydrates by the 'Southport GP'

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I went and it was very good and intresting,they have a thing about very low fat,from my experience low carbs and low fat leaves you without energy,
what I did notice that there were five very young women who were all overweight and only came to the first session which was a shame as you do learn somthing.
I have got much more knowledge and motivation from the forum.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps they've invited us on purpose so we can give our input!! Ha ha ha!

I suppose that would be a good reason to go...

Possibly GP has target of x number of diabetic patients attending the GP paid a bonus.
If you don't feel it will be of use don't go.

Alternatively, if you feel like enlightening other poor deluded T2s go and educate the educators.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i quite understand others may find it comforting etc. I don't really feel obliged to go I just think it's a bit late however anyone is managing their condition.

I've seen my nurse several times and she's never mentioned it.

Well I waited 28 years to get on the DAFNE course so 8 months isn't too bad ;)

Not sure about the X-Pert course but other structured education courses do have long waiting lists, plus the availability of these courses all comes down to funding.

If your not going to attend the course then do let them know so they can offer your place to someone else.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are doing well then as an individual perhaps it wouldn't be useful for you so fair enough, though I personally have always found something new on any course I have done.
But how does anyone know what the course is like without going on it for themselves?

If you search this forum ,you will find quite a few people who have found it to be a very good course. One of it's aims is ' 'to empower patients to enabling them to make informed decisions about their lifestyle and management of their condition' Surely a worthwhile aim. It is documented as being successful in at 14 months leading to a variety of improvements compared with people who had individual appointments (and I expect they would have done better than those just left to themselves)
.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=E14149F4A6738EE9C9A6447A16C4F412.f03t02

The course and research project (as above) was designed by Dr Trudi Deakin who you may remember was praised for her speech at the DUK conference on carbohydrates by the 'Southport GP'

I don't remember saying it wasn't a useful course. I do remember saying 8 months (or 7 months 2 weeks) is a little tardy for an invitation ESPECIALLY for people who may benefit enormously from it.

I'm not criticising the course (only the timing for me) and I would recommend people give serious consideration to attending for the "empowering" reasons you mentioned.

It was not my intention to discourage anyone from attending and I think I made it clear why it wasn't for me and you acknowledged this in your first paragraph.

I'm not saying I know everything.

I am sure I would learn something, but not enough to attend group meetings.

Group meetings aren't my thing (I also mentioned this before) and that's a reason I don't go to slimming clubs either. They can add pressure to some people.

Of course, as you say, we don't know what courses are like until we attend. All I can do is make an informed decision for myself, based on the invitation sent. Quote:

"X-PERT Diabetes Education has proved to improve diabetes control, reduce diabetes medications, increase self-management skills, improve lifestyle and quality of life."

As I believe I have achieved this 7 months and 2 weeks after diagnosis, I feel the course will be better suited to someone who needs it (more than I do).

Please let me reiterate, I'm not saying I know everything. I'm saying the invitation is a little late for me personally.

I'm one of the lucky ones (yes I feel lucky that I've been able to achieve what I have). I just feel these courses should be offered earlier rather than through an annual blanket invitation with a list of dates to choose from. It could be too late for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been invited to attend the same course as @peacetrain We live in the same town and have the same Practice. I was diagnosed in January. Since then I have taken control of my own BS levels and weight, 99% of which is down to finding this forum. I also am not criticising the course and would recommend any struggling Type 2's to attend, particularly ones that thrive in group situations. I'm not struggling, I have reached my goal weight, and most certainly don't enjoy or thrive in group situations, added to which, it is my own DN and her colleagues that are the group leaders. I find it highly unlikely she will be saying anything she hasn't already told me on our 3 meetings, or at my next ones. I would rather decline the invitation and leave room for someone who might get more benefit from it. I'm also not saying I know everything. None of us do. There is always something to learn, but personally this course is not for me.

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I waited 28 years to get on the DAFNE course so 8 months isn't too bad ;)

Not sure about the X-Pert course but other structured education courses do have long waiting lists, plus the availability of these courses all comes down to funding.

If your not going to attend the course then do let them know so they can offer your place to someone else.
Thanks. Yes I will let them know as there is a tick box option to respond. The invitation appears to be a blanket annual one sent out to everyone with diabetes in the practice. There are several courses dates/times to choose from going right up to September 2015. I guess this means any newly diagnosed from now may miss out until next august.

I also didn't like the tick box options because I would have to tick:

I am not interested in attending the X-EPERT Programme

That's not completely true, so I've altered it.

Funding is a problem and it annoys me how much money is misused.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been invited to attend the same course as @peacetrain We live in the same town and have the same Practice. I was diagnosed in January. Since then I have taken control of my own BS levels and weight, 99% of which is down to finding this forum. I also am not criticising the course and would recommend any struggling Type 2's to attend, particularly ones that thrive in group situations. I'm not struggling, I have reached my goal weight, and most certainly don't enjoy or thrive in group situations, added to which, it is my own DN and her colleagues that are the group leaders. I find it highly unlikely she will be saying anything she hasn't already told me on our 3 meetings, or at my next ones. I would rather decline the invitation and leave room for someone who might get more benefit from it. I'm also not saying I know everything. None of us do. There is always something to learn, but personally this course is not for me.
Thanks for that. :)

At my last meeting with my DN she was very interested in this site when I mentioned it and she also wrote down the information I gave her about myfitnesspal.

I would also like to thank everyone on this site for all the help they have given me, knowingly or unknowingly. That's what I meant when I said I was lucky. ;-)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively, if you feel like enlightening other poor deluded T2s go and educate the educators.
I pondered that but then thought I may be seen as a know it all or trouble maker. One of the DNs running the course was interested in myfitnesspal when I last saw her so she may mention that.

If the practice had looked at the data and selected those with a good success rate, perhaps they could have invited those people to share their stories. I would see this as proactive and it would help others to have the confidence to try to get off the medication, if that's a possibility. Also to lose weight. I would jump at organising a walking group. I prefer to walk alone but I would be willing to organise people initially, until they were used to the routine and found their confidence to either walk alone or form their own little friendship groups.

I remember my DN saying I was rare in the practice and most think the medication is a passport to eating anything. I think the message needs to be more forceful and if the practice can get people who are managing successfully to meet others, then that surely would help.

We all contribute to the NHS and benefit and it would be nice to put something of ourselves back in.

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps, I misinterpreted but I was reacting specifically to the remarks about' NHS punishment programme' and then the banter. I think it would be a pity if others who may benefit were put off what others have said is a good course,

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@peacetrain - the suggestion you made there of asking people like yourself who had cut meds. to talk to a group about your experiences sounds excellent. I would appreciate that opportunity.
Mentioning toDN about the foeum and other useful websites , which was mentioned by two posters was interesting. I have done this myself to a practice nurse when being prescribed for weightloss aid pre diabetic diagnosis. However I do feel that professionals have a duty to keep up to date with their own field of expertise.

Reactions: 4 people