Xmas day - how do you do yours ?

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Christmas All - hope you are having a great day.

So as a relatively newly diagnosed type 2 I am in the testing phase so today for me is full Monty Christmas dinner - its one day and I want to at least enjoy it food wise.

So what do you do ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So what do you do ?
I usually go to my aunt and uncle for Christmas, and uncle always goes full out with the food.
I try to focus on the meats and veggies, and have just a little nibble of the higher carb things to taste them.
Doesn't work perfectly, but a lot better than indulging in all the carbs, and I still get to fully enjoy my meal.

This year is easy, I'll eat with my neighbour, he cooks, and the focus is on the meat. There won't even be a dessert so no trouble there.

I think you'll love this thread where many people (with all types of diabetes) share what they do. :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...echanisms-swaps-recipes-anything-goes.198916/

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch at 11ish, smoked salmon, cheeses, continental meats, berries with Greek yogurt, big pigs in blankets, bacon roll ups, croissants & pastries for the none keto folks.

Dinner about 5ish, for me - turkey, low carb Cauli cheese, Brussels with bacon, asparagus, green beans, small amount of carrot & turnip mash, keto cranberry sauce, pigs in blankets, 1 small roastie, tiny drizzle of gravy - others will have more roasties and yorkshires

1 small spoon of Christmas pudding with lashings of thick double cream
Cheeseboard no crackers, celery, pickles, low carb chutney

Champagne throughout

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dropped the roast potatoes, had EVERYTHING else - all of it, double helpings of the zero/low carb Christmas dinner stuff. Haven't missed anything other than milk chocolate and even that is a distant craving at this point in the day due to how full I feel!

Paul41

So as a relatively newly diagnosed type 2 I am in the testing phase so today for me is full Monty Christmas dinner - its one day and I want to at least enjoy it food wise.

So what do you do ?

Merry Christmas

As I’m the cook I have some control on what we ate. I slow cooked a joint of beef in red wine and garlic.
Served it with celeriac “roasties” , roast parsnips carrots, broccoli, sprouts & cauliflower. No pudding and a single glass of Pinot Grigio.
IMG_1232.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Xmas lunch was meat (turkey and pigs in blankets) and veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels and carrots), one small roast potato, half a stuffing ball and a splash of gravy. Followed by a LC Xmas pud with cream :hungry:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
No traditional Christmas dinner here , nice big fry up , after visiting grandweans etc , the jammies back on nice glass of port , some Guinness then some cheesy Xmas movie and a snooze thank god it’s only one day a year

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So what do you do ?
A very enjoyable day with a rare treat of having my middle son visiting us. Food wise I've kept everything in moderation, so my pre lunch buffet produced a BG of 6.3 and before our main Xmas dinner it was still only 6.6.

Ive avoided chocolate largely but I did have a mince pie earlier. Dinner was heavy on veggies but very little carb and a delicious mushroom gravy that I made myself. Sat here afterwards feeling pleasantly full but not straining at the seams. If post meal BGs are good I might have a choccy or another mince pie

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BreAkfast was small slice of sourdough toast with butter, marmite, avocado, 2 poached eggs & a benecol
Lunch was prawn cocktails followed by roast turkey, chipolatos, a couple of roast potatoes, roast parsnips, homemade Yorkshire pudding, carrots, Brussels, broccoli, cranberry sauce, turkey gravy & a couple of glasses of Prosecco. Blood sugar now 4.4 & need to eat but not hungry

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear all -

I can report back that I am hugely suprised at my BG readings post my Christmas feast - I expected huge rises as has happened when I have have had a sunday pub lunch , but not I went from low 6's to around 10 max then down to around 8 2 hours post, which is great for me. even more suprising is that I had a christmas pud with brandy sauce at 4pm which ros only to around around 8.9 and then back down to low 6's ... I am amazed.

I have to admit I have been at the red wine so that will have supressed the numbers but overall extremely pleased with that ,

lunch consisted of roast topside beef, parsnips, roast spuds, brocolli, cauliflower, stuffing, pigs in blankets, mushrooms, gravy, pickles and horseraddish and yorkshire pud ... it was fantastic if i say so myself.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished the evening off with a small slice of my low carb lemon cheesecake - started the day on 5.4 and ending the day on 6.6 whatever happened in between will be forever a mystery but happy with that

Tomorrow may be a different story as I indulge in my one big carb cheat over Christmas as it’s my favourite festive meal that I enjoy most of all the festive food - full of nostalgia for me - lunch of cold turkey, ham, cold pig in blankets handful of big fat triple cooked chips with pickles, cranberry etc and a slice of low carb bread for my chip butty I will pleading the 5th on my BG :hilarious:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think, after all these months of being careful, I was being a bit over cautious. I think I should have had roast potatoes and some stuffing. In fact I'm going to do a second Christmas lunch at the weekend.

The graph shows Brazil nuts and 85% dark chocolate, then lunch, and then a couple of slices of New York cheesecake.

I found an unopened pack of Ryvita crispbread in the cupboard, so I'll have a few of those with the nice cheeses I've got.

2131951938.jpg

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine went pretty much to plan. Several coffees with cream in the morning after my walk, small piece of cheese for brunch (British Brie - lovely!) and dinner was preceded by a few walnuts and hazelnuts, followed by a wonderful roast rib of beef with cauliflower, sprouts and cabbage, one glass of red wine and a formidable brandy. Today will be similar but the beef will be cold.

Reactions: gogobroom

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my Libre didn't seem to like those Ryvitas. I had three - all with lots of butter on, two with creamy blue cheese on, and one with Marmite on. Just before it read 4.2 and two hours later it still read 8.2. So I won't be buying those again!

• Hug
Reactions: Rachox and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found an unopened pack of Ryvita crispbread in the cupboard, so I'll have a few of those with the nice cheeses I've got.

Well, my Libre didn't seem to like those Ryvitas. I had three - all with lots of butter on, two with creamy blue cheese on, and one with Marmite on. Just before it read 4.2 and two hours later it still read 8.2. So I won't be buying those again!
Have you discovered cheese crisps already? They're no carb, easy to make, and there's absolutely no reason why you can't have them topped with cheese. :)
Just grate or VERY thinly slice any type of hard cheese and pop in microwave on a baking sheet for a couple of minutes. They should be crunchy, not chewy after cooling, if crunchy, they need a bit longer. Works in the oven as well, takes a little longer.

This will be my planned meal for new years eve, because why not eat cheese with cheese and call it a meal! :happy:

Reactions: Outlier

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you discovered cheese crisps already? They're no carb, easy to make, and there's absolutely no reason why you can't have them topped with cheese. :)
Just grate or VERY thinly slice any type of hard cheese and pop in microwave on a baking sheet for a couple of minutes. They should be crunchy, not chewy after cooling, if crunchy, they need a bit longer. Works in the oven as well, takes a little longer.

This will be my planned meal for new years eve, because why not eat cheese with cheese and call it a meal! :happy:
Thanks. I haven't but I will. I also fancy trying a fathead pizza. I like cheese.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I haven't but I will. I also fancy trying a fathead pizza. I like cheese.
I tried the fat head pizza, but found it a lot of faff for something acceptably tasty but not very pizza-like.
So now I simply buy a pack of low carb wraps to use as a pizza base. Still not very pizza-like, but it saves you a lot of work and expensive ingredients. :hilarious:

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the fat head pizza, but found it a lot of faff for something acceptably tasty but not very pizza-like.
So now I simply buy a pack of low carb wraps to use as a pizza base. Still not very pizza-like, but it saves you a lot of work and expensive ingredients. :hilarious:
I don't like a lot of faff, so I may give that a miss. I always look for other recipes.

As an aside, the special fried rice that I've not long eaten has caused much less of a spike than the Ryvitas did. That's weird. More experimenting required while I've still got the Libre, I think.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77