Yet Another Newbie

Lazycat6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I’m a newly diagnosed type 2 a month in, also on metformin, my hba1c was 107 which somewhat shocked me as I had no symptoms, only discovered as I went for pre op assessment as I’ve torn my chilled tendon, so still hobbling about which reduces exercise I can do, unlike others I don’t have a dog to walk but do have 2 lazy cats and a slow tortoise none of which like walking, I have got an exercise bike now which I’m trying to use daily, I’m also doing low carb , and have managed to lose 5 kg ( 3/4stone) so pleased about that

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lazycat6 and welcome to the forums

Clearly the low carb is having some immediate benefits, well done on that. Are you using a meter to test before and after food? I found that the best way to assess the impact food was having on my blood glucose.

This is a friendly and knowledgeable place - feel free to ask questions. We've all been down the same path and foks are generally very willing to share experiences.

best of luck!

• Friendly
Reactions: Pipp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, I’m a newly diagnosed type 2 a month in, also on metformin, my hba1c was 107 which somewhat shocked me as I had no symptoms, only discovered as I went for pre op assessment as I’ve torn my chilled tendon, so still hobbling about which reduces exercise I can do, unlike others I don’t have a dog to walk but do have 2 lazy cats and a slow tortoise none of which like walking, I have got an exercise bike now which I’m trying to use daily, I’m also doing low carb , and have managed to lose 5 kg ( 3/4stone) so pleased about that
Hi Welcome to the forum. What was your diet & lifestyle like for you to get a HBA1C result of 107? Mine was diagnosed few weeks back it wasnt great at 82. Made a few changes since then and its come back to 67 after 4-5 weeks i found out this weekend, It can be done but its hard work.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low carb'll help more than anything else, though the bike'll mke some difference. Since diet's the main thing though, no need to long for a dog. Just thoroughly enjoy the cats and tortoise, as they can be relaxing, and that's good for blood sugars too. ;) You'll get your numbers down enough for the procedure with low carb and lots of head-bumps, I'm sure.

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you're in a similar situation to myself - I went to see the doc primarily because I wasn't sleeping well (which I think might be due to some pain from the onset of arthritis in one of my hips) but after blood tests they're kind of ignoring that now and instead picked up on my hb1ac which was 106. I don't appear to have any symptoms from that though, but given how high the test was I can understand the concern.

After a bit of research (in particular on here) I also decided to go low-carb and also have a good go at getting my weight down into the healthy BMI range, and have also lost about 5kg in the last month - with about the same again needed.

In my case I suspect the 106 hb1ac might have been somewhat of an anomaly as, due to the issues getting enough sleep, I wasn't exercising as much or eating as well as I'd normally do and in particular was doing a lot of snacking on crisps and the like.

Are you doing any ongoing testing of your blood sugar?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
In my case I suspect the 106 hb1ac might have been somewhat of an anomaly as, due to the issues getting enough sleep, I wasn't exercising as much or eating as well as I'd normally do and in particular was doing a lot of snacking on crisps and the like.
You did not cause your diabetes because you ate crisps and had trouble sleeping.
The vast majority of non diabetics eat crisps, don't get enough exercise or sleep and yet they don't have a problem with the carbs in their diets.
Your body has become resistant to insulin, that's it, there is no anomaly, no fault and certainly no blame for having the same lifestyle as millions of people who don't have diabetes.

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You did not cause your diabetes because you ate crisps and had trouble sleeping.
The vast majority of non diabetics eat crisps, don't get enough exercise or sleep and yet they don't have a problem with the carbs in their diets.
Your body has become resistant to insulin, that's it, there is no anomaly, no fault and certainly no blame for having the same lifestyle as millions of people who don't have diabetes.
Sorry - perhaps wasn't clear enough. I'm not disputing that whether I had diabetes or not - just that the very high hb1ac might have been influenced by those issues over the previous few months (or more that the lack of sleep was influencing my diet, which was then influencing blood sugar). One thing that going low-carb has taught me is that diet definitely can impact getting the blood sugar levels down, so it seems reasonable to expect that a bad diet could make them higher.

I've significant family history of T2 so it wasn't all that big a surprise although the levels I was seeing were.

Reactions: Bludnok

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
just that the very high hb1ac might have been influenced by those issues over the previous few months
Yes I agree that your Hba1c was influenced by your diet but it is your insuln resistance that caused your high levels
One thing that going low-carb has taught me is that diet definitely can impact getting the blood sugar levels down, so it seems reasonable to expect that a bad diet could make them higher.
Most people have bad diets and poor lifestyles but also have normal blood sugar levels.
Your diet affects your levels because your insuln has become less effective , nothing you could have done differently, unless of course you had a crystal ball, would have prevented you from getting T2. Even so called healthy diets , lots of exercise, fruit,veg , healthy wholegrain carbs and low fat everything would not have prevented you from getting T2.
After all good nutrition and exercise didn't prevent one of our greatest Olympians, Sit Stephen Redgrave from getting T2.

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree that your Hba1c was influenced by your diet but it is your insuln resistance that caused your high levels

Most people have bad diets and poor lifestyles but also have normal blood sugar levels.
Your diet affects your levels because your insuln has become less effective , nothing you could have done differently, unless of course you had a crystal ball, would have prevented you from getting T2. Even so called healthy diets , lots of exercise, fruit,veg , healthy wholegrain carbs and low fat everything would not have prevented you from getting T2.
After all good nutrition and exercise didn't prevent one of our greatest Olympians, Sit Stephen Redgrave from getting T2.
Indeed - not disputing any of that, just that the very high initial hb1ac reading of 106 was potentially a bit of an anomaly.

Reactions: aylalake