Yet another Scot!

Hi all. I'm Annie from Scotland. Nice to meet you all.

Whilst I am not diabetic, this is a sad tale about my Mother. She has been disabled for the past 30 years due to nerve damage in her spine and could only be 'pain free' by lying down in bed, hence she could not go out of the house as walking and sitting was too painful. However, in the last year, she has taken a turn for the worse and her legs have finally packed in and she is completely bedridden 24/7. Her only time outdoors in 30 years was in an ambulance taking her to hospital last year when her legs went. By the way she is 80 years old. Once home, her GP told her (on the phone) she had Type 2 diabetes and to take this pill each day and not to have any sugar ( I will confirm the name of the tablet later as I have forgotten how to spell it)lol. So my Mum always does as she is told and did just that. She lost lots of weight and was very poorly to the point when she was unconscious and the paramedics had to be called. By the time I got to her she was just coming around and they managed to stabilize her. They told me to get one of those machines that test the blood sugar from the chemist which I did. Her GP doesn't want to know basically and will not visit. She has had one visit in 15 years. They are not very helpful at all so that is why I am here. My Mum (Nancy) seems to need LOTS of sugar. She fortunately loves sweets and takes them constantly to keep her levels around 6.5 to 8. When she creeps slightly over that, I advise her to cut down a little and sure enough she comes back to 6 or there abouts. Sorry this is long but do you guys out there think that she is diabetic or not? I'm confused. The advice about cutting out sugar completely, put her in the hypo in the first place. We get no advice from any medical docs at all.
BTW diabetes runs in the family.
Thanks for listening and I wish you all well with whatever problems you might be having.

Annie
xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Annie.
Welcome to the forum.

We cannot diagnose on here for obvious reasons. The tale you tell could be anything.

My advice to you is to change Dr's and get someone who will see your Mother and also look after her properly. This present situation is not good at all and if not dealt with by the Practice Manager at the Surgery then you should complain to your local PCT. Scandalous.

Ok thanks. I understand what you are saying but there is nowhere else to go to change doctors.

Thank you anyway for your response.

Annie xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Annie, welcome to the forum. Can you find out the name of the pill she is on ?

mikey

Hi Annie,
If your mum needs lots of sugar to stay in the 6 to 8 range I don't understand how she can be diabetic. If most of the people on this forum ate lots of sweets our blood glucose would be massive.
Try to find out what tablets your mum is on.

I get really bitter when older people are treated in this way.
My dad was diagnosed with cancer when he was 65 and it was as though it didn't matter because of his age.
I couldn't help feeling that they would have made more of an effort if he had been younger.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Mike,

Hi Mike and Sue,
Thanks for the nice welcome. Yes, I find it strange that she needs so much sugar. I will let you know the name of the pill she takes. The level of care she receives from her carers are second to none. But they only clean her up and make her comfortable, they are not medics. It's the GP's that are not interested. I'm visiting on Thursday, so will post the name of the pill after I get home.
Thanks for all your help and hope you are all well.
Annie xx

Hi again,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you all. My Mum's tablet is called Gliclazide. She was taking 1 X 80mg per day before breakfast and since her last 'hypo' was told over the phone to cut it in half to 40mg per day. Now, this is where you guys might be able to help me. Is this tablet a mild form of insulin that can bring down the blood sugar levels? I am thinking that if I took this tablet as a non diabetic, then surely I would need some sugar to get my levels back to normal. My Mum is eating a 200mg packet of boiled sweets every day along with a glass or two of lucozade. Her blood tested at 7.1 on Thursday night after eating those sweets and drinks. I think she has been diagnosed wrongly but I'm no expert at these things. I am so tempted to tell her to stop taking it and cut down on the sweets but you are always frightened to go against the medics instructions.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Annie xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Annie.

Gliclazide is not Insulin but it does have the ability to force the Pancreas to produce Insulin to lower the blood sugar levels which would normally rise in response to consumption of food. Your mother would appear to not need this medication if the numbers are anything to go by.

You really have to 'grasp the mettle' and demand a home visit from the GP. Make sure you are there too. Even if you have to use an 'out of hours ' service to get one. Failing this you have to make an official complaint. This is scandalous treatment of your mother and should not go unnoticed by the locatl PCT. She is doing herself no good at all eating all these sweets etc to counteract what seems like an obvious case of mis-prescribing and maybe even mis-diagnosis.

mikey

Annie,
I have to agree with Ken (cugila) your mum should not have to eat all this sugar to counteract the medication she has been prescribed.
Ask them to explain why a sugar intake that would put any diabetic's blood glucose off the scale, results in readings of 7 in your mum.
There is something very wrong here.
Regards,
Mike.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Annie
If you are not getting the service you should for your Mum
Try contacting Diabetes UK. find their number on their website, they should be able to guide you to what services are available in your area.
I would also suggest that if your Mum is umwell and the GP won't come to her, you dial 999. If she gets taken to A&E, someone will look her over and find what's actually going on.
In the meantime, Get your Mum onto a high quality diet. Loads of green veggies and fresh meat and fish.
Have you a blood sugar meter? I think you do.
Check Mum's Blood glucose an number of times per day and keep a food diary for her. Note times she takes her medicine too and when she needs a sweetie. In a week or so, you should see a pattern
Even if her legs don't work properly, a bit of seated exercise might well help.
Hana

Hi Ken,Mike & Hana,
Many, many thanks for all your advice. I am going to take the approach of phoning Mum's doctor (who is unapproachable and speaks down to you all the time) and ask him to explain all the questions you guys have put forward. I will write down everything he says and let you know his answers.
Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Annie xx