Yo-yo numbers

valann

Last week we had a few days away to celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary and since coming home my BG levels are all over the place and I have no idea why.

Whilst away I stuck to my Low Carb diet completely except on the day itself when I had a single bite of chocolate cake with double cream (far too sweet for me now), the rest of the time it was low carb, mainly chicken with salad for main meal and scrambled egg with bacon and small portion mushrooms for breakfast. All my tests came up within the 5-6mmol range both fasting and before meals, then nothing higher that 7.1 2 hours after meals (that was the day of the mouthful of cake), so always below the 2 full point range.

Since getting back home 5 days ago even my fasting numbers have been in the 6.5-8 range and after eating 9.5-10.2mml and I have no idea why :banghead:

Today it was 5.7 so am hoping it's starting to settle down, fingers crossed but really am feeling very confused about these yo-yo numbers when I am sticking to low carb.

I do understand that these numbers are not unusually high for a lot of people and mine before joining the forums were often 12-14 range and I'm not that high now but still feel it's a concern.

Any ideas will be very welcome please

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It could be the excitement or stress of your trip, or possibly you picked up a bug on your travels as lovinglife suggested.
If only our bodies were as consistent and predicable as machines, life would be so much simpler.
Trying to second guess a living body driven by hormones and emotions is difficult, sometimes we just have to shrug our shoulders, accept it and carry on.

valann

It could be the excitement or stress of your trip, or possibly you picked up a bug on your travels as lovinglife suggested.
If only our bodies were as consistent and predicable as machines, life would be so much simpler.
Trying to second guess a living body driven by hormones and emotions is difficult, sometimes we just have to shrug our shoulders, accept it and carry on.
If only! Yes it would be so much easier if we could predict or if our bodies were consistent something mine has never been.

This has just taken me by surprise as things were ok whilst away so wasn't expecting it to shoot up once home, so yes I'll just have to accept it and hope it settles soon.

Thanks so much for the replies to both you and lovinglife x

Reactions: catinahat and filly