Yoga

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I am type 2 I do Yoga but not sure what the difference is Hatha Yoga. Yoga grounds me mentally. It also makes me more supple so I wouldn't have thought it would be detrimental to any type of diabetes, but that's just my opinion. After all it is a form of exercise, so surely that's good for all whether type 1, type 2 or any other ailment - within reason. I am asthmatic and it actually helps my breathing, sort of opens up my lungs. I can touch my toes now - without bending so it must be good! If in doubt ask your gp or dn.

Reactions: MrsA2 and EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried Hatha Yoga? Is it good for Diabetics?
Having T1 means you don't produce insulin, so instead you inject it.
It doesn't change anything else really.

There are no things that are particularly healthy or unhealthy just because you have T1, except the things giving you rollercoaster blood glucose.

I'd expect hatha yoga to be exactly as healthy for diabetics as for non diabetics.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Exercise is generally good for diabetics.
Hatha Yoga is a good form of exercise under a qualified teacher.
Look for the British Wheel of Yoga.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im trying to see what classes work for me with having diabetes.
I have had diabetes for nearly 20 years during which time I have tried classes from wine tasting to flying trapeze including pottery and rock climbing and circuits and spin. I have yet to find anything diabetes stops me doing.
In fact, it is important for my mental health that I find ways to do whatever I want and don't let diabetes define me or my life.
My advice is to stop thinking if "what classes work for me having diabetes" and start thinking "what classes work for  me".

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was actually enjoyable. My freestyle Libre alarm didn’t go off and I felt very relaxed at the end of the class. Will definitely try it again. Im trying to see what classes work for me with having diabetes.
Hi,

Glad to hear it went OK.

I agree with the comments above. Don't let the D stop you. I've tried yoga years back.

But then I also spent 3 years in a dance college too..
Always try something new..

Reactions: EllieM

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
you have practically no contraindications to anything, the main thing is to carry insulin and sugar with you and you can do whatever you want, even yoga, even dancing, even parties with friends.
Since I was a child when I started having diabetes, I hardly remember how I lived before that, but I don't think my life was very different from the lives of my peers. I tried yoga, but it seemed boring to me, I tried dancing, but it also didn't bring pleasure, as well as fitness, then I got carried away with boxing and I really liked it. I can't say that diabetes interfered with anything much, I just realized that before active cardio I need carbs
Just do what you like

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I think I just worry too much about how the exercise will affect me instead of just doing the classes and trying new things. I’m trying not to let the diabetes affect my life.
The only way to find out how things affect you is trying them.
So try whatever you fancy and spend some time afterwards to see how it affected your BG, using the graphs on your Libre.

If something made you go high or low it doesn't mean the activity is not healthy for you, it only means you need a bit of practice working out how to adjust your insulin or food around the activity!