Yoghurt

sarahanne

I also buy the Greek yogurts from Lidl, they are really thick and creamy and add my own fruit and a few chopped nuts.
I am new to Diabetes (Type 2) and still finding out what foods spike me or not, the one thing I miss the most is my cereal for breakfast, anybody got any ideas of really low carb ones?

Thanks

Sarah

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have muesli which I make up myself sort of. I buy Dorset Foods Simply muesli/ or the nutty one which has no sugar and is the lowest carb one. I pour half a pack into a big tin add the same amount of large organic oat flakes, some rye flakes, barley flakes, wheatgerm, linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, toasted sesame seeds, goji berries, raw cocoa nibs and mix well. I have 4-5 tablespoons with yogurt in which I mix cinnamon and soya milk(low carb). Ok you have carbs here buy low GI ones and there is a lot of fat (in the seeds), protein (nuts, seeds, yoghurt and milk) which helps to slow down the passage of the carbs through the gut. Try testing after 2 hours and I am sure you will find it fine.

When I first did low carb/low GI I tested all the time to see what I could and could not tolerate. e.g. I can't take rice but I can udon noodles - don't ask me why!! I also don't tolerate Malitol which you find in diabetic friendly sweets/chocolate so I eat 85%+ chocolate if I fancy some.

The best bit of advice I was ever given was to eat my fruit with a meal never on its own (it spikes!).

Good luck

sarahanne

Thanks Ricky this is great, will have a go at this at the weekend and see how I get on. I was also told to eat fruit with a meal and so have my yogurt with fruit as part of my lunch. Weird but I can't eat rice but noodles are fine too, not so bothered about sweet things as I don't have that much of a sweet tooth anyway, would prefer savoury and am managing to sort those kind of snacks, although I must admit I have been snacking less and eating more in my meals so I am full up. :D

Sarah

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sarahanne said:
Weird but I can't eat rice but noodles are fine too

That sort of thing is quite typical. We all have different metabolisms, producing different levels of the many different enzymes which digest this sort of thing. Highly processed products such as white flour or white rice get digested very easily whereas wholegrain products, brown rice, wholewheat, wholeoats etc contain indigestible carbs, ie fibre and difficult to digest carbs.

Noodles can be made from several things. I always have wholewheat noodles or maybe egg noodles. Wholewheat pasta is similar but normal durum wheat semolina pasta, ie course ground, is not bad at all, for me. It's when these things are very highly refined that it is not good for diabetics. There is a big difference betwen boiled new potatoes, mashed potatoes and pureed potatoes for example. But, it all depends on your personal make up.

sarahanne

yes i have also discovered this with boiled potatoes and mashed potatoes, all new to me but i'm getting there. Thanks for the reply :thumbup:

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went out for a meal last night and ate boiled new potatoes and blood sugar was 5.4 this morning!! My latest naughty is Bombay mix. I also haven't got a sweet tooth and tell myself Bombay mix can't be bad as it is made with gram flour which is high protein :)