York test ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya

So I'm wondering has anyone any info on these food intolerance tests? I had a york tear done years ago that said I was intolerant to cow dairy . Egg white. Gluten . Wheat and kiwi.

I have obviously been eating these things since starting lchf and I'm wondering if it is why I feel still drained and weird.

C

catherinecherub

Why would you eat foods that you are allergic to?
There are mixed reviews on the York test.
Google it and you will see that some swear by it and others think that it is a money making exercise.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you google York food intolerance test, the YorkTest website will come up. If I thought I had a food intolerance, I would try giving it up / re-starting / giving up again to see if my health changed accordingly and would be suspicious of commercial labs offering testing "in the comfort of your own home".
Anyway, why are you eating gluten, wheat and kiwi if you are doing LCHF?
Sally

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No . I eat greek yogurt and egg whites more now. I ditched those foods for years as I was a vegan . But I have chronic fatigue syndrome so it's always hard to detect if a food has caused me a symptom. I reintroduced as York test did say that you won't always necessarily be Intolerant (not allergic ) so try to reintroduce and since I'm lchf I wanted to include eggs and Greek yogurt. But now I'm not sure if I'm still intolerant and just wondered if anyone had info on if it's reliable

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As with all medical advice, they take the majority over the minority in everything, so if a normal healthy person can eat every type of food and its healthy for a normal healthy person, so why can't everybody, because it's healthy!
Anyone with a food intolerance (including all types of diabetics) food allergies, or thyroid issues, hormone imbalances and so on, there will be a reaction to that food, wether it's relatively small or something as serious as a peanut allergy which could be fatal!
There has been many studies done on people who have allergies, and always told to avoid the food they are allergic to!
Why isn't it the same for people who have diabetes?
If a certain type of food makes you ill, they why are we told to not avoid it but eat smaller amounts of it! (Go figure!)

There are always alternatives to all types of foods!

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But my point is , is it reliable ? I just don't want to cut something out with no real need !? And also like I said above I don't know if it's the eggs or yogurt that is keeping me ill

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not give up eggs for a week, then if there is no improvement, go back to eggs and give up dairy for a week.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Test it out on yourself - have a week of not eating eggs and keep notes on how you feel, then reintroduce them and keep notes on how you feel. Then do the same with yoghurt. Then, if you still feel unwell try cutting both out for a week , once again keeping notes on how you feel, then decide if either or both affect you.

I agree with @Lamont D that there are alternatives to most foods. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a laugh, wether he meant it or not, but a GP told me because I'm largely intolerant to dairy, to avoid eating eggs in the same sentence!
I think I'm lactose intolerant to the high sugar content of anything but full fat yoghurt, cannot eat low fat, any milk, cheese, butter and so on, as it just comes back up as soon as it hits my stomach!

Love eggs though! Eat about a dozen or more a week and does nowt to my levels!
But my point is , is it reliable ? I just don't want to cut something out with no real need !? And also like I said above I don't know if it's the eggs or yogurt that is keeping me ill

You just have to try and test! Experiment with those foods different ways and amounts!

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just made some nice almond cookies but have eggs in so need new recipe .

Dark Horse

Sense about Science have this to say about the York Test :-
• Food-specific IgG testing (food intolerance test, YorkTest, Hemocode) looks for specific IgG antibodies against food stuffs in the blood. IgG antibodies are part of the immune system with a key role in fighting infections but the best medical evidence has shown elevated IgG levels do not suggest an allergy. Results are frequently positive in individuals who do not have an allergy or a food intolerance.
http://senseaboutscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Making-Sense-of-Allergies-1.pdf

There is further information about food allergies here:-
https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Allergy.pdf