Young boy's Blake, death in two days due to missing meds

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am so sorry that this young lad has lost his life due to lack of diabetic meds. The article is informative but why he did not take his medications, is not explained. R.I.P.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor fella was in an institution, no doubt some jobsworth busy ticking all the boxes, head in the screen rather than hands on supervision of the vulnerable (just MHO)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very sad, just awful.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am so sorry that this young lad has lost his life due to lack of diabetic meds.
It is indeed very very sad.

The BBC article does say his death is understood to have been related to his diabetes, but is currently being treated as unexplained and police inquiries are continuing. A very cautious statement, which implies that they don't really know for sure.

Reactions: Kieron10

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Poor fella was in an institution, no doubt some jobsworth busy ticking all the boxes, head in the screen rather than hands on supervision of the vulnerable (just MHO)
As a former foster carer and my partner is a social worker, please don't denigrate the profession. If a child decides to leave where they are you can't physically stop them, all you can do is phone the police and it becomes their job. Looked after children are just that, usually very well looked after. So hands on supervision is really hands off supervision. It's incredibly sad he died, and maybe he wasn't looking after himself well.

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am so sorry that this young lad has lost his life due to lack of diabetic meds. The article is informative but why he did not take his medications, is not explained. R.I.P.

This very said case illustrates the dangers of Diabetes, especially Type 1. It is not known yet why he didn't take his medication but it is a tragic loss of life. There was another tragic case somewhere in the north east of Scotland where a an elderly man had lost a leg through Diabetes Type 1. This case though had a happier ending though. The guy had an artificial leg. He also had a dalmation dog and got his artificial painted white with black spots like his dog. The loss of his leg ,though, indicates just how serious Type 1 Diabetes can be. Kenny

Reactions: ME_Valentijn
M

ME_Valentijn

There was another tragic case somewhere in the north east of Scotland where a an elderly man had lost a leg through Diabetes Type 1. This case though had a happier ending though. The guy had an artificial leg. He also had a dalmation dog and got his artificial painted white with black spots like his dog. The loss of his leg ,though, indicates just how serious Type 1 Diabetes can be.
A reclusive family friend lost his leg below the knee due to diabetes, after depression and self-neglect following the death of his mother. But then he also got the help he needed, anti-depressants, and a place in an assisted living home. He's loving life now, has gotten in pretty good shape for an older guy, and is running the social activities at the home. It's never too late to turn things around, until it's really too late.