Your Valued Opinions Please

Bob700

Hi
I am thinking about my diet very seriously and this is the type of food I'll be eating on a daily basis. I'm looking for advice/opinion on the sugar and carb amounts in what I eat

Breakfast: Plain poriddge with semi skimmed milk, 2 slice of wholemeal toast and white coffee with sweetners

Lunch: Homemade vegetable or chicken breast curry (no potatos or rice) with 1 whole meal pita bread

Dinner: Meat or chicken with a small portion of potato and vegetables (non starchy)

I'm still looking for a suitable snack

Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob

alaska

The breakfast is significantly more carb heavy than some of us on the forum would have.

It's well worth doing blood tests before breakfast and between 1 and 2 hours after starting your breakfast. Try this on at least a couple of days to give your breakfast a fair test. If you're getting a sharp rise as a result of the breakfast, consider dropping one or two of those slices of bread.

If you need to drop some of the bread from your breakfast, strongly consider using full fat milk. Your meal plan here looks to be very low in fat and there's no harm in having a bit more fat as long as your carbohydrate intake does not also increase.

Unsalted nuts make for a good high fibre snack food.

Natural sources of fat (eg dairy fats and nuts) are good for satiety and research suggests that natural fats confer a lower heart risk than starchy carbohydrates.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Best of health Bob

Ed

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test?

For me, porridge with milk sends my bg into double figures, as does toast. I shudder to think what the combination of them would do to my levels.

So my advice is to test and see how different things affect bg.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I cannot eat pitta bread or portage without my bs going sky high .. Eat to your meter .. Test just before eating and 2 hrs after .. Then you will see what works for you

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with everyone else about breakfast, and I know it's tough to find "western" breakfasts with lower carbs, Try the German route of cooked meats and cheese - Eggs in any form a good old fashioned Full Englisg minus the fried bread and toast or my personal favourite at the moment Soya yoghurt with milled flax seeds and berries. Most of all test, test test. What works for me might not work for you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all the others. Your breakfast would send my levels rocketing. There are so many carbs there, and milk is full of sugar. I have a full fat plain Greek yogurt and throw in a few berries for sweetness. The pitta bread is also heavy on carbs, and of course the spuds, although they may be fine for you. Use your meter to test these meals out and then amend them accordingly. I enjoy a fry up but tend to have these for lunch (and I can manage half a slice of fried white bread but only know this by testing)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Bob700 I have porridge in the morning with milk but do not have the toast. You will need to check your levels and find the right amount for you. Unlike others I do not have any issues with it. I would question why you would want toast as well you would be better to have some nuts (maybe crushed and mixed in) with it if you find the porridge isn't enough

how about replacing the pitta bread with berries and/or an apple, coconut, other nuts. These will keep you fuelled a lot longer than pitta bread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that every meal is too high carb for me - I would be feeling dreadful after a single day. The breakfast in particular would floor me.

However, if you are testing your BG before and after each of those bouts of carb intake, and your BG is below 7.8 two hours after the meal, then it may work for you...

BJR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would knock out anything with wheat, I reversed my type 2 by changing to gluten free permanently, breakfast for me is either scrambled eggs and no toast unless I have flatbread made on hand from seeds, such as millet or amaranth etc or I make smoothies from almond milk, protein whey and fresh berries. Make sure to have protein at every meal, snacks can be go jo berries, chickpeas roasted, or certain nuts. Raw foods as much as possible and some dairy, never use skim milk as it has more carb than full cream milk, you are better of with a little of real stuff. Also never replace butter with margarine as it is plastic fat.

There are a few good books on reversing by changing foods, the Paleo living works for many also.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Check each meal with a meter.
Only way to know.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wholemeal bread is often some wholemeal flour and a lot of white flour. Waitrose for example is 6% wholemeal flour, 51% white flour and 43% other undisclosed stuff.

If you want wholemeal bread, bake it yourself. Wholemeal rye bread is brick like but 50% wholemeal rye and 50% wholemeal wheat is better, still solid but you only need a couple of small slices to fill you and it takes ages to digest.

Anything soft and springy is unlikely to be good for diabetics. Real bread takes time to prove and time to bake and commercial bakers don't have that amount of time.

See A Wholegrain of Truth.

Porridge oats are supposed to be low GI but not everyone can take them. Porridge is easy to digest, that's often why gruel was given to sick people. If you want real porridge that takes a long time to break down in your digestive system, cook steel cut oats or scotch porridge, not to be confused with Scotts Porridge Oats.

2013-01-15-steel-cut-oats-vs-rolled-oats-web.jpg

Steel cut oats take a long time to cook though, about 45 mins and you have to stir regularly. They taste great and are very kind on your bG levels.

BJR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem for a lot of people is the gluten, which is almost impossible to digest and it has been proven to cause major problems with thousands of people and not just celiac disease...it can all be researched via books, google and people's experiences.