Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 4 people

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last year I was 9.2 and now I'm 7.2. It been very hard but worth it as I'm doing ivf very soon so next test In February and I'm very sure my hba1c will go down more

Reactions: 10 people

Joao_Rosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed 10 years ago, always had my HbA1C around 7.0-7.2% and my doctor always told me that was good enough. A few months ago I found this forum and realized I could do a lot better to improve my health, so I did. In September I was 7.3% and last week I got 6.2%. Really proud of myself, hope to stay under 6.5% as long as I can.

Reactions: 5 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I was diagnosed 10 years ago, always had my HbA1C around 7.0-7.2% and my doctor always told me that was good enough. A few months ago I found this forum and realized I could do a lot better to improve my health, so I did. In September I was 7.3% and last week I got 6.2%. Really proud of myself, hope to stay under 6.5% as long as I can.

Well done you!

I was in the same boat as far as knowledge was concerned (hba1c, etc much worse though )... this forum and the host website has done wonders for my health and family.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Last year I was 9.2 and now I'm 7.2. It been very hard but worth it as I'm doing ivf very soon so next test In February and I'm very sure my hba1c will go down more

Well done you!

Good luck with the ivf... evidence has shown that improved levels will help you in that regard and with the subsequent trials of pregnancy and parenting!

Reactions: 2 people

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Hi Darren. By H results, I assume you mean HbA1c? This is one of the key tests and looks at your average blood sugars over 3 months (sort of anyway!) Without wanting to sound picky, this test is measured as a %, NOT in mmol so I wonder if you're getting mixed up? The mmol tests are the one-off blood sugar tests we can do on our meters. It's worth clarifying your results so you can compare properly with other tests in the future and see how you're getting on. My Hba!c was 8.2 when I was diagnosed, but fortuinately down to 5.9 when I was tested 4 months later.
Good luck!
Hi, Darren. I've been Type 1 since I was two and a half, the days of urine testing with fizzy tablets and metal and glass syringes, so life is a lot easier now! (Blood testing at home or out and about is SO good for proper control.) This table, from Diabetes UK, is really useful.
HbA1c results
You will now be getting used to seeing your HbA1c results reported using the IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemistry) reference measurement procedure of mmol/mol.

(%) (mmol/mol)
6.0 42
6.5 48
7.0 53
7.5 58
8.0 64
9.0 75

My last one in November was 49 mmol/mol. or about 6.6%. I have averaged lower, but this added a risk of hypo's.
For most adults with diabetes, the HbA1c target is below 48 mmol/mol, since evidence shows that this can reduce the risk of developing complications, such as nerve damage, eye disease, kidney disease and heart disease. Individuals at risk of severe hypoglycaemia should aim for an HbA1c of less than 58 mmol/mol. However, any reduction in HbA1c levels (and therefore, any improvement in control), is still considered to have beneficial effects on the onset and progression of complications.

Good luck, keep learning and keep well and happy. (It can be done, honest!)
TJR56

Reactions: 7 people

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My sons was 7.2% or 55 a couple of days ago, on the Omnipod since May so third reading and the highest yet as the two previous were both 6.9% or 52. Little disappointed as the average BG reading over the last 90 days was 7.3 and prior to the previous test the average over 90 days was showing as 7.7 so was hopeful of an improvement.

Not really convinced about the accuracy of this test though. A week prior to going on the pump he had a higher then previous result of about 7.7%. Started on the pump and figures went up and were all over the place initially as we started on a rather optimistic carb to insulin ratio as advised for safety reasons and a couple of weeks after with figures slowly getting back to the desired levels he had his first 6.9% which was surprising given the change despite his BG figures being worse over the previous three weeks.

Consultant was pleased but i was really hopeful of getting a 6.5% or below, I certainly didn't expect to be back in the 7's, still he will have another test in about 3 months and it is quite obvious that over time there will be many ups and downs.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sons was 7.2% or 55 a couple of days ago, on the Omnipod since May so third reading and the highest yet as the two previous were both 6.9% or 52. Little disappointed as the average BG reading over the last 90 days was 7.3 and prior to the previous test the average over 90 days was showing as 7.7 so was hopeful of an improvement.

Not really convinced about the accuracy of this test though. A week prior to going on the pump he had a higher then previous result of about 7.7%. Started on the pump and figures went up and were all over the place initially as we started on a rather optimistic carb to insulin ratio as advised for safety reasons and a couple of weeks after with figures slowly getting back to the desired levels he had his first 6.9% which was surprising given the change despite his BG figures being worse over the previous three weeks.

Consultant was pleased but i was really hopeful of getting a 6.5% or below, I certainly didn't expect to be back in the 7's, still he will have another test in about 3 months and it is quite obvious that over time there will be many ups and downs.

Hi!
I've got the exact same problem... Been on the Omnipod since August but latest HbA1c is 7.6% (albeit down from 8.4% pre-pump, and 7.6% is the best I've ever had!) which doesn't correspond with the 90-day average BG, which is 7.8, 60-day is 7.6, and 30-day is 7.4, and I test on average 15 times a day (sometimes quite a lot more). I've checked more recent BGs with another meter, and they always correspond - in fact, sometimes the Omnipod PDM gives higher readings. So...I've put my relatively high HbA1c down to three things:
1. I currently have iron-deficiency anaemia (this extends the life of RBCs, hence giving a falsely elevated HbA1c - I'm now on treatment, so hopefully this won't be an issue when I next have an HbA1c)
2. Being a high glycator (I don't know much about this but I reckon that I might be one, and your son might be too...?)
3. The HbA1c test itself being slightly inaccurate
I've decided not to be disheartened by it - it's still good (and I really am doing all I can to have good control)! And your son's is even better than mine! But I do know how frustrating it can feel...

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
People also ask
What do you mean by hba1c?
The HbA1c test (also called glycosylated haemoglobin level) is a laboratory blood test which measures your average blood glucose over the previous weeks and gives an indication of your longer-term blood glucose control. The test is used as a regular monitoring tool if you have been diagnosed with diabetes.hope this helps,clive

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Your welcome phil-86, just remember that the anxiety and nervyness that your getting now is because diabetes is primarily a diesese of the nerves and it takes a while for things to subside,so count to 1000 and 1 before you let looseand remember in weeks to come you will understand and be in control,many of the posters here are controlling thier t1 and t2 very well with no complications.
As i say daisy will be along with the info for you,looking forward to the journey,clive

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the feedback Okulu, more for me to read up on. It's good to know that your happy with the meter, I haven't done a comparison. Just got our next appointment and it's 95 days away which is a shame for the hba1c figures as our last week's average is currently 5.5% and I don't think they are going to count towards the results. The week before was a lot more unstable with a average of about 8% and with higher yo-yoing basal requirements.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the feedback Okulu, more for me to read up on. It's good to know that your happy with the meter, I haven't done a comparison. Just got our next appointment and it's 95 days away which is a shame for the hba1c figures as our last week's average is currently 5.5% and I don't think they are going to count towards the results. The week before was a lot more unstable with a average of about 8% and with higher yo-yoing basal requirements.

No problem. The thing that I've learnt with T1 is that things sometimes happen for no rhyme or reason. An HbA1c of 7.3% is still really good. I honestly have never had one below 7.6%; I've had T1 for 18 years, and I have no complications except a bit of background retinopathy that's usual for someone who's had the disease as long as me....just wanted to reassure you that your son's result is really good! Best of luck at the next appointment - let me know how it goes!