Freestyle Libre - is it worth it?

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
With the recent (re)availability of the Libre system I have contemplated investing in the system to improve my BG control further. I am still reading reports of sensor failures, poor results, obviously forums are usually filled with complaints rather than praise.

I use the Cellnovo system which has made a dramatic improvement in my BGs (in conjunction with LCHF diet). My hba1cs are nearing the <6% range, last reading was 6.3% which is my best since diagnosis 20+ years ago.

My questions are:

Will the Libre improve my BG/hba1c further? Is it worth the cost to get into the magical 5% range?

How much more of an annoyance is running 2 medical gadgets?

Am really looking for pros and cons based on having decent control (few hypos/hypers here and there).

Anything else to note?

(If this has been discussed already, apologies!)

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience with my first sensor has been positive.

I would suggest you try it for yourself as that is the only way that you will know.
You may be influenced by someone else's experience that is not relevant to you.

You can try it for about £150

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just explaining to someone else what the Libre will do. When you see the graphs for the first time you'll think either its wrong or that you haven't got a handle on this disease that you thought you had because of the peaks and troughs, you probably do have good control it's just you are seeing the whole picture very clearly rather than some snap shots in time.

I had never heard of the Cellnovo system before so thank you for mentioning it - it looks interesting! do you know how much it costs/available through the NHS?

Reactions: 2 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Thanks @slip the question is, does the info help in improving control or does it give the user more info to worry about? My worry is it becomes another expensive gadget (coupled with a phone, and insulin pump!) to carry around. How does the info help control? E.g Can you predict hypos/hypers etc and act accordingly to prevent them?

Cellnovo is an insulin pump available on the NHS (in some areas) - post code lottery scenario.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @slip the question is, does the info help in improving control or does it give the user more info to worry about?

That is a great question.

What the Libre does is show you which way your bg levels are heading using trend arrows, so it is possible that it could help improve your incidences of hypo's/hypers, the graph on the Reader is extremely useful and I've made some changes to my night basal rates based on the last two nights readings.

I'm barely a a week into using the Libre so can't comment too much on whether it's worth the £139 price tag for the starter kit.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to state the obvious, but the Libre provides you with info. That is all.

Experiencing improvements in control will depend entirely what use you make of the information.

My experience is that I get more info than i expected. Some of which explains things i have never understood, and some of which i can use. Like @noblehead I am not yet far enough down the road to see the full results of my changes, but am expecting significant improvements in control.

Reactions: 8 people

Berty16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Happy new year!!! I've just recently started using the Freestyle and have 6 days remaining on my sensor. Installing was ok the needle's a bit of a beaut!!!

Pros:

- saves the fingers
- can simply scan when ever
- seeing the graph when scanning I find an advantage
- the indicators of which way your glucose trends is good
- out and about its brilliant for scanning and no tabs etc!

Cons:

- a massive point would be that recently my results don't match my other blood meters. There is a massive difference of 3-4mmol ????? Which I'm currently keeping an eye on.
- for activities mainly football I have to strap it up with dressing.
- it can come loose at times during activity.
- once attached that's it any faults issues you have you then have to attach another sensor ££££

I will probably use this now and again for example during the holidays and when I want to give my fingers a rest
If anyone else has noticed a difference in blood results compared to their other meters it would be good to get some feedback?

Hope this helps!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the other thing that no-one has mentioned on here is seeing the output of a beautiful flat line completely in range when you have a good day. The mental aspect of being able to visualize that is extraordinary, and you challenge yourself to do it again and again.

In that respect, it's an incredibly powerful tool to help you give yourself a pat on the back!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the other thing that no-one has mentioned on here is seeing the output of a beautiful flat line completely in range when you have a good day. The mental aspect of being able to visualize that is extraordinary, and you challenge yourself to do it again and again.

In that respect, it's an incredibly powerful tool to help you give yourself a pat on the back!

Absolutely.

It proves that actions you take have a clear and measurable effect. Seeing it plotted as a line on the graph has so much more impact than snapshot numbers on the screen.

Griffter15

With the recent (re)availability of the Libre system I have contemplated investing in the system to improve my BG control further.

I'm afraid it's not available at the moment. Not to me anyway I've was told they aren't supplying new users until they can get increase their production capacity.

Like you I was in two minds but decided it's worth a try.

I think in a year or two we will all be using this technology in some form

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to go on the waiting list, you have to register somewhere on the site. Sorry, can't remember where (it is a long time ago that I did it). Once you reach the front of the queue they email you to say that you can order.

But if you are at all interested, it would make sense to register now (there is no obligation to buy when you reach the top of the queue) rather than wait to decide, and then have to wait again before you can order.

I dithered for months before registering, and then had to wait in the queue for months...

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Hi Berty

Wondering how you are getting on with the accuracy? I have had the libre for 2 weeks and switched to my second sensor on Monday. I too had noticed some discrepancy, but yesterday, I was getting reports of LO all day on the libre (whilst feeling fine and well) and on my VarioIQ blood glucose tester readings around 6. Luckily I know the symptoms of a hypo, but concerning there is such a large discrepancy between the two.
Hi all

Cons:

- a massive point would be that recently my results don't match my other blood meters. There is a massive difference of 3-4mmol ????? Which I'm currently keeping an eye on.

Hope this helps!

Berty16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same "LO" after football but my other meter was reading. About 8.0 ?? I did think maybe it was because I knocked it and to be honest it did come slightly unstuck. I replaced it and the results were then fine so it must have been faulty.I have been off it for a while as it does get expensive and only wear it now and again. I'm putting the next one on at the weekend I'll see if the results are the same.

How you finding it? Bar the discrepancies

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I want to really like it, it feels like I get some freedom back, test in public easily, don't carry all the extra gear with me but I can't quite trust it. The meter is poor in terms of input and user experience. There are Apps on Android and iOS which means the meter isn't needed at all, but the Official App isn't available in the UK yet. The patterns and constant readings have been really helpful (but not sure I can trust them) and the direction the glucose is going is really helpful. I tested a lot as it is new but think I will test less once that excitement is over (but great you can test as much as you want now) A big concern I have is airport travel and going through the scanner, so need to wait and see what that experience is like.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to really like it, it feels like I get some freedom back, test in public easily, don't carry all the extra gear with me but I can't quite trust it. The meter is poor in terms of input and user experience. There are Apps on Android and iOS which means the meter isn't needed at all, but the Official App isn't available in the UK yet. The patterns and constant readings have been really helpful (but not sure I can trust them) and the direction the glucose is going is really helpful. I tested a lot as it is new but think I will test less once that excitement is over (but great you can test as much as you want now) A big concern I have is airport travel and going through the scanner, so need to wait and see what that experience is like.

I believe @AndBreathe has travelled without issues while wearing a sensor. Maybe she will confirm that, if she sees my tag.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm coming to the end of my first sensor, and although it's been consistently 20-25% high, it's added a whole new dimension of awareness to my diabetes-wrangling life. It's worth its weight in gold (actually it's not heavy, so that's not a great analogy) for identifying trends and spikes that I hadn't always been aware had been happening even with my normal, albeit 8+ times a day, blood testing routine.

And you know what? In 30 (nearly) years of diabetes I didn't actually KNOW that a wavy line is 'okay'. I'm having fewer idealistic dreams about straight lines. I am so, so reassured by the information my Libre is giving me, and I wouldn't be without it for the world.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've flown about half a dozen times with the Libre - no problems at all. Didn't even get found on a pat-down ;)

Reactions: 3 people

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've flown about half a dozen times with the Libre - no problems at all. Didn't even get found on a pat-down ;)
Hi Robert, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing you had the pat-down though, as the sensor set the machine off and sometimes the scanners do random stops, so my thought is more do you declare it before walking through or try to explain after it sets it off. Also in the X-ray scanners which are compulsory in some airports, they will see it and it will appear concealed. I do carry an exemption letter but never seem to be able to engage with the security beforehand.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Robert, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing you had the pat-down though, as the sensor set the machine off and sometimes the scanners do random stops, so my thought is more do you declare it before walking through or try to explain after it sets it off. Also in the X-ray scanners which are compulsory in some airports, they will see it and it will appear concealed. I do carry an exemption letter but never seem to be able to engage with the security beforehand.
No the sensor doesn't set the machine off - I only got the pat down once when I wore fly-button jeans ;)