help needed

steveyd

i am a diabetic of 23 years now my blood glucose was ok till i hit my teens then i new best betime i got to 20 i was in hospital for nearly 3 years in and out spending 10 to 12 weeks in at a time i hated been diabetic but i have done the damage now my self i admitt that by having blood sugars in 20 30 40 all the time i felt ok at the time but suffering lots now i take on average 38 tablets a day for pain for high blood pressure stomuck problems my nerves in my hole boody have been a fected my bowls my diagestion my site my kidneys and feet and legs my mum died of renual failure and nerve problems my sister has now started of all this two am goin the same way with my kidney we all are diabetic i am prob the worset one i need help trying to keep in control i find it so hard now to do any thing cause i have messed about so much i have been told i will be dead in the next 5 years by 6 doctors what is not good i suffer from losts of infection so always on antibiotics what does not help can any one help me i am scared and finding this all very hard to keep in control and under stand it all thanxs yours steve

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya steve,
really sorry to hear u are feeling ******, basically to heal some of the damage youve done you have to get these numbers under control, what exactly can we help u with? :)

steveyd

how to deal wiv high blood sugars and keeping control of it all when on the amount of tablets i am and antibiotics am only 30 i want to see my 40th but dnt look like i will no one seems to under stand

vodka660

What are you eating ? Have you tried low carbing. My first BG reading was 20.4 - this was last April.
By changing my diet I am now at non diabetic BG levels.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Steveyd and welcome to the forum. :D

It sounds like you have some pretty serious health concerns and therefore some good reasons to get your BG levels under control. :(

Cutting down on carbohydrates has helped me to get my own BG levels under control and I would recommend you to look at the ‘low carb forum’ and the ‘success stories’ to find out as much as you can for yourself.

You will need to cut out the starchy carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. If you look at the ‘food forum’ you will find all sorts of suggestions for alternatives to the starchy foods.

Get yourself a carb counter book which will give you the low down on the carbs content of a wide range of foods and that will help you even more.

You also need to self test before you eat and 2 hours afterwards to see what your food is doing to your bg levels.

This will take some working at but is worth all the effort and you may find that you can help your sister too! 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi steveyd
You may not be able to correct all the damage you have done, but if you get REALLY GOOD control, you should see an improvement.
I'd suggest a reduced carb diet. Try reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution( ask at the library for it)
this will show you what you can do
Hana

jopar

You may not have to go to a strict low carb diet to regain the control of your diabetes, I certainly don't avoid the carb and eat normal foods...

What you need to do, is learn to count the carbs you are eating, what types they are and how they may react with your body.. So that you can effectively use your insulin to do its job..

This means being pandantic about testing your BG's before and after meals, bedtime and when you get up.. along side keeping a food diary and carb count + insulin dose you used so that you got the data to use to work out where you may need to make adjustments..

Most meters can be downloaded onto computers, and scanlife, Ultrasmart meter that has an electronic logbook, you can enter, insulin dose (other meds you regularly take) carb amount, exercise, whether you were on hols, if you feel ill etc, you can even enter blood preasure etc.. All this information can be downloaded onto your computer, the software is downloadable from there website (free of charge) but you have to order the data cable but this only costs around £11 with p+p, sometimes you can blag one from there customer services if you'll lucky....

Handy books, I would recommned is either Think like a pancreas or Using insulin, both easily avaible via the normal internet book shops...

Enlist the help of your diabetic nurse, ask if they've got a carb counting course you can attend, such as DAFNE or Bertie... Explain your fears don't worry to what you have or have not done in the past, as they will not mark you on this, they will only be interested in your future

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Try the Glycaemic Load diet. This has really worked well for me. I've lost 2 stone in 2 months, have stopped taking insulin and my BM's are between 4.1 and 7.0. We all have high BM's at some point, and some of us have real difficulty controlling them. Then something just clicks and it all falls together. Maybe you just need to find out what will 'click' for you. Good luck, it's not easy I know, and it sounds like you have a lot to cope with right now.