Meet up?

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what people think, but I'm a member of another online local history group and we have about 3 or 4 meet-ups every year in a pub in the historic part of Birmingham. Good old chin-wag, raffle for the site and getting to know people etc., etc.

So I was thinking, if there are enough people near to the midlands ('cos that's where I live) would anyone be interested in a similar event? It would be in a pub (natch) and would be from 1200 - 1430 ish? We could have a raffle for the website or a diabetic charity to raise a bit of money.

The advantage - as I see it - would be that if there's enough of us, we could arrange for a LCHF type buffet (I would even be willing to go to Lidl's for the protein rolls!!) so for once at a function there would be lots of stuff to eat (I'm thinking prawn/egg/tuna mayo., avocado, salad, tuna, boiled eggs, ham, rollmops, sausages, cheese of various types, olives, sundried tomatoes, pickles, sauerkraut etc. - well, you get the idea). Suggestions on a postcard, please!

Cost should be about £10 per head or so?

Our local pub has a very diabetic-freindly chef who I'm sure could do the business if there was enough interest. They would be willing to do it as long as we kept the bar busy-ish (mine's a bottle of Champagne, please!). I'm thinking that the event would be in the Stratford-on Avon area but we could find somewhere in Brum if enough people wanted.

Now as I said - this is just a suggestion, but do people think it might have a chance of working? If so, I'm willing to do the spade work - so let's hear what you think.

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

An excellent idea. I had been thinking of a similar one in London. before the C word!

M

mist

Is there enough chicken for both type 1 and type 2 to enjoy? Stocks are limited you know..:nailbiting:

A

asparagusp

I was thinking of a rather informal meet up for a coffee somewhere in central London, Sunday/Saturday. Pret do good mince pies with cream! lol Still I am only thinking of it and if I decide on it, will post another thread!

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz
M

mist

The hype is real!

ItouU.gif

Reactions: Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There's also a Diabetes UK meet up in London on 12th November:

Date: Saturday, 12th November 2016 from 11:00 am

Venue: Penderel's Oak

283-288 High Holborn
Holborn
Greater London
WC1V 7HP

And in Leeds on 19th November.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what people think, but I'm a member of another online local history group and we have about 3 or 4 meet-ups every year in a pub in the historic part of Birmingham. Good old chin-wag, raffle for the site and getting to know people etc., etc.

So I was thinking, if there are enough people near to the midlands ('cos that's where I live) would anyone be interested in a similar event? It would be in a pub (natch) and would be from 1200 - 1430 ish? We could have a raffle for the website or a diabetic charity to raise a bit of money.

The advantage - as I see it - would be that if there's enough of us, we could arrange for a LCHF type buffet (I would even be willing to go to Lidl's for the protein rolls!!) so for once at a function there would be lots of stuff to eat (I'm thinking prawn/egg/tuna mayo., avocado, salad, tuna, boiled eggs, ham, rollmops, sausages, cheese of various types, olives, sundried tomatoes, pickles, sauerkraut etc. - well, you get the idea). Suggestions on a postcard, please!

Cost should be about £10 per head or so?

Our local pub has a very diabetic-freindly chef who I'm sure could do the business if there was enough interest. They would be willing to do it as long as we kept the bar busy-ish (mine's a bottle of Champagne, please!). I'm thinking that the event would be in the Stratford-on Avon area but we could find somewhere in Brum if enough people wanted.

Now as I said - this is just a suggestion, but do people think it might have a chance of working? If so, I'm willing to do the spade work - so let's hear what you think.

Is there any reason a cost would be entailed? If you were meeting in a pub, would people not simply buy their own food and deal with drinks similarly?