Is your diabetes a day job?

Do you consider your diabetes to be your day job, and everything fits in around it?

• Yes, 100%

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No, not at all....

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Actually I'm somewhere in between...!

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I used to but not anymore.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've never thought of my diabetes as a Day Job, so it's interesting to hear people say that for them it is. I thought it would be interesting to conduct a little poll and see how people look at it.

Reactions: Snapsy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Me neither, although it's always there it doesn't interfere with life too much.

Reactions: Jaylee and Snapsy

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like there might be a flaw in the "pay my mortgage" aspect of this diabetes day job. Also, no days off...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
At the start it felt like it was, but as time has gone on I get on with the full-time job that pays me money and attend to my diabetes on a part-time basis. I give both jobs 100%!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, the 'Yes' in the poll results is me.

I've been obsessed about control to the point of idiocy for 30 years, to the extent that my diabetes takes up more time, energy and thought than anything else.

I work. I have a husband and a happy marriage. I have friends. I do stuff. I'm happy. I'm a good laugh, or so I'm told. But I'm afraid my diabetes is a full-time job.

But that's fine, because that's the way it is. Over the last year, since getting a pump and a Libre, my attitude has softened rather, and I suddenly do have a bit more mental energy to be doing other stuff, BUT my diabetes is still in the top priority position, and it's the thing I spend most time and most energy on. I would love to not be like this, to be honest. I guess it's rather ingrained after all these years!

I appreciate that everybody's very different, and I wish I could be more relaxed about it. But this is me, and that's okay.

Love Snapsy
:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No offence intended to anyone who struggles with control and does feel D is a full time job but I'd be navel gazing if it was something I treated as a full time job. I manage fairly ok but yes, my real job, child, husband and associated roles always come first (unless I am on the floor hypo).

Reactions: ickihun and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only reason I have always had such excellent control is I think because I treat it as a full-time job! I fear if I relax too much all the complications I was warned about and frightened by as a kid will jump out to get me*.

I've never really liked the thought of the bogeyman coming to get me, that's the thing!

:nailbiting:

*I'm 42 now. I still feel the same!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll say I have 2 full time jobs, as others have said one that actually pays and allows me holidays and time off, pretty much 9-5 then there's T1D - no monetary pay, no holidays or let up and is 24/7. If I didn't manage both I wouldn't be here, and I wouldn't be able to do one without the other so to speak. It is part of who I am and what I do.

Reactions: himtoo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm retired so diabetes is my hobby well one of my hobbies anyway.

Reactions: Jaylee

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Full-time hours in the UK are currently 30hrs or more.
So effectively less than 4 and a half hours a day.
Cooking low carb and injections and testing, ordering prescriptions and buying low carb food could constitue as full-time?
Well maybe not 4.5hrs but maybe close.
Those with complications might need extra time to dress and apply additional creams, drops etc.
Oh what fun being diabetic!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I almost do feel it is like a fulltime-job..

but anyhow it is still quite new and a bit traumatic to me, but I have really learned so much the last 4-5 month, and with both planing and finding out what foods to actually eat and also doing about 14 hours of excercise every week it feels like it is occupying really a lot of my time... but I think I´ll relaxe in the longer run.. I do test my numbers less already like only 3-4 times a day, and now my numbers are down to totally normal and that was one of my goals.

Next goal is to become as fit as possible but in those 15 hours a week...

And the last goal is to try by loosing enough to reverse my diabetes... even though I do understand that is for a few... but I think that if at any time that could be tryed to be achieved , it would be when being relatively newely diagnosed...

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Two years ago when I was diagnosed as type2 and for a good year, I classed my diabetes as a full time job. I even became obsessed and it was taking over my life.
Now a days I am more carefree and most of the time, I am now in control

Reactions: Snapsy and ickihun

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes definitely not my day job. More like the drive to work. It has to be done, but depending on weather, route taken and unforeseen traffic it can have an impact on my working day.:):):):):)