New Member Hello

Helenwales

Hello i am new on here joined today,i hope to chat and meet new friends that understand what i am going through with type 2 diabetes.
please come and say Hi :)

Linda59

Hi and welcome you will find a lot of help on this site.. I am also type 2 over a year now...

regards

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Helen.Have a good browse round ,there is some great info and support for type 2 here.Check out the "Links" in diabetes discussions,some really informative sites there.

Knowledge is the key to control

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Welcome Helen.

I am also type 2, for a similar time to you so know what you are going through. If there's anything you would like to know or discuss about your diabetes please ask. There's nearly always someone on here who will know the answer, or can point you to somewhere where you can do the research yourself.

Good luck.

sami

hi helen and welcome im type 2 i only found out last week so im very new to all of this but every one here has been a big help

sami
just found out
HbA1c 7.7

Helenwales

Thank you all for your welcome:),iv often read this site but thought it's about time i joined,Sheepseyes,i am from a small village called Sarn just off the M4 near the Mc Arthur Glen shopping village 2 miles outside Bridgend.
When i first had diabetes i was devastated,i was so scared that i lost 5 stone from the Jan to the May,i ate to the book and walked everyday,then as my confidence came back i slowly put the pounds back on,iv just started insulin injections 6 weeks ago and iv lost a stone so hopefully a new me again for 2008,the only problem i have is no support of my family i get very depressed and tend to keep my diabetes to myself that's why iv joined here i need friends that understand me.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well you'll get support in bucketfuls here,Helen!:DIt can be a very lonely thing,diabetes.But you are doing the right things for the person that matters,you.Have a good read of some of the threads that advice on insulin etc.I'm not on insulin so I'm not really up to speed on advising about it ,but there are many experienced members here who are and will be only too pleased to help you.Consider us your cyber family!!:D

Knowledge is the key to control

jfairy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people who show no respect to people in wheel chairs
hello and welcome to the site :D

granny

hi, im newly diagnosed, have been told by the G.P. i have diabetes but not told anything else, just to wait for the clinic to phone me with an appointment! I was so shocked i didnt ask any questions, my own fault. so now im waiting patiently for more info.......

j.hill

sami

hi granny and welcome
i to have only just found out my gp also told me nothing other than to have full blood tests and to see the nurse i did this last monday and she went into a few things but not to much as i have my first appoinment tomorrow morning with the diabetic clinic (they phoned me within 2 days of me been told )im having my eyes checked seeing the diabetic nurse a dietision and foot people (cant spell realy name but you now who i mean )i have been told i will be there most of the day . so hopefully you will not be waiting to long to get your appointment in the mean time have a good look on the net and this forum as they have really helped me

sami
just found out
HbA1c 7.7

steveng

Hi Sami and Granny,

I was diagnosed on new years eve and your experience completely mirror my own. To be told you have Diabetes and then have to wait for appointments for nurse, dietitian, eye screening etc, with next to no information about what to do in the mean time between appoinyments.

I have found great support on here. Luckily my family have been OK so far but i do not think they fully understand diabetes yet, but then again nor do I.;).

Steve

ChocFish

Hi Granny, Helen, Sami - good to see you here, come here often, pull up a chair and ask away, whatever you want to know about diabetes, someone is always ready with an answer, suggestions, a shoulder to cry on and more.

Helen, why do you have no family support (you dont have to answer that if it is too personal) just wondering maybe there is nobody living close by, but I remember back in my case, I didnt tell my mother for ages that I was diagnosed, my sister knew but she stayed away and clammed up s soon as diabetes was mentioned. I found out, the hard way, that with this disease we can do a awful lot to help ourselves and it is true as Sue says 'knowledge is the key to good control' the more you learn about diabetes the more confident you will become people tend to shy away and ignore it because they are scared.

All the very best

Karen

I have 2 shoulders that are used to getting soaked...

sami

hi steve
i had my first of appointment yesterday and all is well i had my hight and weight checked along with my blood sugar it was 11.9 but had come down to 10.2 20 mins later isaw a nurse who was very good she spent over an hr going through everything with me she gave me a monitor and found me as many test strips and lancets as she could find after asking if i paid for my presritions (spelling not my good point ) witch i do i then saw the dietitian who also spent a long time with me after that i had a ecg followed by the eye screening and last but not lest a blood test :( i left there feeling i understand a lot more about diabetes than when i went in.
i have my next appointment in may with a diabetologists the clinic told me as i had pancreatitis 5 years ago that i was very lucky to have taken this long to get diabetes as moat people who get that as bad as i did usely leave hospital on insulin as a type 1 so a lest i've had 5 years before i got it :D
i hope both you and granny get to your appointments soon

sami
just found out
HbA1c 7.7