What is the lowest your blood sugar has been?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is a great but sort of naughty thread :D

my lowest is LO ( I believe meant to be below 1.3 or 1.1 )

hope you get yourself sorted quickly @Eireannn :)

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
this is a great but sort of naughty thread :D

my lowest is LO ( I believe meant to be below 1.3 or 1.1 )

hope you get yourself sorted quickly @Eireannn :)

Ah, I'm better now thank you haha! How do we get so low without dropping into a coma?!

Reactions: himtoo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that unusual for me to see LOW on my metre, which I think is <1. Last time was Friday. I can't remember anything unusual about Friday, I certainly didn't have any symptoms and would have self treated no problem, no fuss.

Reactions: Eireannn

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I hit 1.8 once, barely had control of my body and consciousness for that matter - I forget what I took to get my BGs up but it obviously worked! I just hate that feeling of low to even lower Blood Sugars - it's terrible.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
That's the same as me @catapillar, I only have a weird feeling. Other than that, I'm fine and I've never felt weak or anything
@fletchweb that's awful, I'd hate to feel powerless over myself! :(

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.3 is the lowest I can remember think I miscalculated and took a unit too many IIRC. Wasn't very pleasant so I dread to think what less than 3 is like.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@db89 2.2 just feels the same as something around 3 for me, and I'm not even entirely sure why it doesn't affect me as bad as other people :nailbiting:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@db89 2.2 just feels the same as something around 3 for me, and I'm not even entirely sure why it doesn't affect me as bad as other people :nailbiting:
this would be the simple answer -- you have lost some of your hypo awareness

this has happened to me over the last 15 years -- so to counter it I just make sure I test very regularly so I can catch any potential lows as quickly as possible

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
this would be the simple answer -- you have lost some of your hypo awareness

this has happened to me over the last 15 years -- so to counter it I just make sure I test very regularly so I can catch any potential lows as quickly as possible

I guess so but even since day 1, my first hypo didn't make me feel weak, just cold and shaky like any other time lol

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I guess so but even since day 1, my first hypo didn't make me feel weak, just cold and shaky like any other time lol
sort of a serious question ........ have you discussed this with your care team --- it is hard to be specific because we are all different in our feelings with hypos ( there are loads of common feelings ) -- but you as an individual will just be you -- nobody else -- it is important your care team take that into account in your care !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: db89

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say I feel weak when going hypo but I usually get shaky hands warning me. I'm glad it's that way round as I feel normal if going hyper.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@himtoo no I havent, but I'm going to the hospital tomorrow for my second HbA1c thing so I'll just ask if what I'm feeling is normal :)
@db89 I haven't been diagnosed long to recognise what I feel when going hyper :(

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@himtoo no I havent, but I'm going to the hospital tomorrow for my second HbA1c thing so I'll just ask if what I'm feeling is normal :)
@db89 I haven't been diagnosed long to recognise what I feel when going hyper :(
most important thing to do is to just make internal notes on how you feel --- this will hopefully assist over the coming years !!
try not to fear hypos -- not too nice to have them -- but totally treatable !!

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My lowest was 1.8. This was 1 hour after eating my dinner when i was on walk with friends. I suddenly felt awful, and my legs were shaking and in pain. This was like a month after diagnosis, 5 months ago. My usual hypos are low 3's, but can often go into the 2's and low 2's.

Last edited:

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
most important thing to do is to just make internal notes on how you feel --- this will hopefully assist over the coming years !!
try not to fear hypos -- not too nice to have them -- but totally treatable !!

Oh but hypos are also a blessing if they aren't too bad! I can have a cheeky snack without insulin ;)
I'll keep a record on how I feel from now on, should help me more! :)

Last edited:

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Eireannn I've not long been diagnosed either but there have been a few times I've had a reading over 12 and double checked it as I just felt fine. It was one of the mysteries when I was diagnosed I was feeling perfectly normal and didn't have the symptoms anyone was asking me about.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@Amy993 dread to think what it could've gone to, glad you recognised it though! :)

Reactions: Amy993

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@Eireannn I've not long been diagnosed either but there have been a few times I've had a reading over 12 and double checked it as I just felt fine. It was one of the mysteries when I was diagnosed I was feeling perfectly normal.

Same for me too! When I was diagnosed and my blood sugars were around 30 and my ketones had risen to 6, I didn't feel sick or anything. I felt normal which confused the doctors lol.

Reactions: db89

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh but hypos are also a blessing if they aren't too bad! I can have a cheeky snack without insulin ;)
I'll keep record on how I feel from now on, should help me more! :)
totally agree !! :D