high bloods

sallywally

hi my daughter has just started her periods and her bloods have gone through the roof when they do get low they are too low like 2.2 most of the time they are staying in the 20 to 30 despite good diet and higher amonts of insulin,has any1 got some advice? thankyou very much :)

jopar

The poor thing...

It's difficult to know what to suggest, as most methods do invovle being regular as clockwork, I would take a close look at her data, see if you can see any patterns emerging just before she due, as you might find that you can locate a point that indicates that increaseing background insulin would help, and the point where you can drop it back to normal levles... So she's not so relient on correction doses...

I've never been lucky enough to pin point, as it's not until the day I start, and my BG drops through the floor.. Used to be a nightmare and I didn't find any resolve until I started using my insulin pump, I now can be proactive in my management a lot better and quicker than with MDI...

Perhaps asking about insulin pump therapy might be her way forward?

I'm assuming that your daughter is a teenager, so as her teenage hormones settle down, then hopefully this should come easier for her to manage..

sorry I couldn't be more helpful

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sally,

Being a male my knowledge of such matters is severely restricted, but you must get your daughters bg levels down when running so high, she could be in danger of developing ketoacidosis which can be life-threatening if not treated. Try discussing your daughters control with her DSN/Consultant and look at ways of overcoming this problem each time she begins her periods, and always, always test for ketones when your daughters bg is running above 13, more-so when she is struggling to bring the levels down, as this is when ketoacidosis can begin.

Good luck!

Nigel

sallywally

thanks for all your posts we are in clinic tomorow so hopefuly we find some solution.she is only 10 which makes it hard for her,her levels been high for 2 weeks cant get them down no ketones either.i dont think she understands how serious diabetes can be either nightmere at the moment. :)

badmedisin

I found periods to be a complete nightmare. I'd get really high blood sugars, lots of hypos, a bad stomach, unbearable cramps and suicidal feelings. The doctor was no help as she didn't seem to believe all these different body systems interacted with each other. It was a little easier to cope with when I went on the pill, cos at least I knew when to anticipate the horror! But eventually I went on the injection and it stopped my periods, and life is a lot easier this way!
I think you'll need to keep a serious diary for a while so that you can work out any pattern to the blood sugars. Record all insulin doses and do extra tests. It'll help to work out whether your daughter needs to adjust her background insulin, or maybe she has different quick insulin to carbs ratios during a period. Good luck :)