slimming clubs

bluestar

Does any one know if these slimming clubs can help in controlling BG levels. I want to join slimming world and I do not know if i will be doing more harm than good. I once lost weight with them before I was diagnosed diabetes. :?

PaulReilly73

I would suggest that besides Atkins, all weight watchers and fat fighters and the like concentrate on reducing portions, reducing fat, increasing exercise and carb counting.
All of which with the right insulin regime would be productive in weight stability or reducing it.
The only addage of "no carbs after 7" which some of the places believe in is the only bit im not so sure about. if your hungey your hungry after all and starving yourself before bed if your levels arent steady is not such a great idea in my view.

If your type 1 and have the right amount of back ground insuling going on to keep you steady and then only take QA insulin to counter balance ur carb intake, i cant see how joining a weight watching club could do you any harm.

I dont think you could ever do any harm with a calorie controlled diet, exercise programme and monitoring and recording what you actually eat.

Just be aware that if you have miracle results any insulin requirement could change on the strength of weight loss.

Regards
Paul

C

catherinecherub

Hi bluestar,

As your profile says that you are type 2 on diet only, I don't think you need to worry about an insulin regime.

Some members here use weight watchers and slimming world.
Hopefully they may post about their experiences.

Take care,

Catherine.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used Slimming World fairly recently and because it is so flexible I imagine that it would be fairly easy for a type 2 to follow. I am type 1 so cannot really help. You do get the choice of a non-carb day (a red day - mainly meat and veg), or a day with more carbs (green day - potatoes, pasta etc), and now you can mix and match the two.

Even on a non-carb day though you can still have some carbs (called something like your 'healthy choices'), so providing you choose and plan well you should be okay.

Check out their website for more info (ummm, slimmingworld.co.uk perhaps?) :?

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I am following Slimming world, and doing their Extra Easy diet, all lean meat, fruit, and veg is unrestricted. anything else you have to use your 5-15 syns a day for.

I very rarely use the syns, and have lost 16.5lbs in 5 weeks. I am having quite large meals and can adapt it to my Diabetes quite easily.

badmedisin

My mum does slimming world and it seems to be quite good for low GI eating and reducing carbs, particularly if you like meat and do mostly red days.

She's lost loads of weight on it, so I'd say it was worth a try.
Good luck!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
bluestar said:
Does any one know if these slimming clubs can help in controlling BG levels. I want to join slimming world and I do not know if i will be doing more harm than good. I once lost weight with them before I was diagnosed diabetes. :?

Hi bluestar :)

I don't think that any of the slimming diets are absolutely aimed at Diabetes but if you go back to the 'Advice to new T2s' and also eat to your meter you should be ok. Joining a club doesn't appeal to me as I like to do my own thing! :roll: