Life with Libre

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant! I'm a primary school teacher and have managed to keep sensor firmly covered up for the most part apart from one day when I was wearing a t-shirt...I got a fair few curious glances and even a prod followed by an inquisitive "what's that stuck on your arm for?" As they're only little I just said it was medicine which they seemed happy with but now the weather (fingers crossed!) will be getting that bit warmer I can see myself fielding off some more questions and may borrow your grandson's description!!!!
Have ordered some Cavilon from Boots which I'm picking up today so I'll ask the pharmacist about Tegaderm. What size did you go for?
6cm x 7cm. Perfect size to cover the sensor and surrounding area to keep it dry.
My grandsons are very familiar with finger pricking although the 6 year old still frowns when he sees the blood. I explained to them a while ago I have to be careful what I eat so I do not get too much sugar in my blood. The 3 year old takes great delight in telling people what I can't eat because too much sugar makes me Ill. They have also been learning from me about the surprising places sugar is. The both have Apps on play phones about Human Body and they have been really interested. They are like little sponges.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
6cm x 7cm. Perfect size to cover the sensor and surrounding area to keep it dry.
My grandsons are very familiar with finger pricking although the 6 year old still frowns when he sees the blood. I explained to them a while ago I have to be careful what I eat so I do not get too much sugar in my blood. The 3 year old takes great delight in telling people what I can't eat because too much sugar makes me Ill. They have also been learning from me about the surprising places sugar is. The both have Apps on play phones about Human Body and they have been really interested. They are like little sponges.

Very impressive!

New sensor on with cavilon and tegaderm so hoping it won't come loose....!

Thanks again ☺

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @maglil55

Looking at the dates you posted, did your first sensor last (almost) 16 days? rather than the 14 days quoted by Abbot.

(I appreciate it wasn't very accurate at the beginning and perhaps at the end of its life.)

I've just fitted my first sensor and plan to activate it tomorrow based on your experience. Fitting was completely painless, but my arm throbs a little now, similar to an inoculation. This may be because I have little body fat (I'm only allowed to inject insulin into my stomach area).

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just ordered by first sensors as I'm part way through a trial. I really love the Libre and in the 6 days I've had it has changed the way I manage my insulin so much. My readings seem to be spot on or within 0.4mmol part from a few odd readings. Very impressed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55

Looking at the dates you posted, did your first sensor last (almost) 16 days? rather than the 14 days quoted by Abbot.

(I appreciate it wasn't very accurate at the beginning and perhaps at the end of its life.)

I've just fitted my first sensor and plan to activate it tomorrow based on your experience. Fitting was completely painless, but my arm throbs a little now, similar to an inoculation. This may be because I have little body fat (I'm only allowed to inject insulin into my stomach area).
No it was 14 days. It seems longer because I put it on and left it a day before I activated it plus I put it on when my BG was at its most stable which is the afternoon. Reason for this is usually I have breakfast but no lunch so there is not much going on with my BG mid afternoon.
When you get to Day 14 it starts to countdown. Starts with the hours then eventually it gets only the minutes until it kills itself! Was quite sad - like losing an old friend. I had had the new one on for 2 days before No 1 Libre died so it had loads of time to settle and it has been really accurate. As soon as No 1 died I activated No 2 and it started it's 1 hour countdown.
I'll need to order more. Despite its quirks I really like it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55

It will settle. I now have No 2 on my inside arm and I get the occasional twitch. Mostly I forget it's there. Certainly on the back on the arm on the bingo wing never got a twinge at all. As it was explained to me you are lancing yourself any inserting a sensor into yourself so it is to be expected that the body will react to this interloper.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just ordered by first sensors as I'm part way through a trial. I really love the Libre and in the 6 days I've had it has changed the way I manage my insulin so much. My readings seem to be spot on or within 0.4mmol part from a few odd readings. Very impressed.
I noticed that the really way out readings tend to be when it is really low. I've found I am low but not as low as Libre thinks I am. To be honest the low reading is enough for me to do a finger prick check anyway.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks for your answers @maglil55

The "bruising" feeling only lasted about 3 or 4 hours and it's been fine since. I activated the sensor this afternoon and have been "testing" it frequently. I'm pleased so far.

Reactions: deborabaratto

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey everyone! I started Libre for abou 2,5 days ago and until now, I have experienced vary quirky readings comparing to the prick test :( maybe it's because I'm adjusting my basal levels from my insulin pump (very low readings), but I get LO readings almost 80% of the time with Libre (comparing to 69, 75 even 92 in my meter).
But I think for the next one, I'll put it on and wait 2-3 days to activate it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone! I started Libre for abou 2,5 days ago and until now, I have experienced vary quirky readings comparing to the prick test :( maybe it's because I'm adjusting my basal levels from my insulin pump (very low readings), but I get LO readings almost 80% of the time with Libre (comparing to 69, 75 even 92 in my meter).
I think @Bluetit1802 will know more about this than I do as I'm not an insulin user. I have had way out readings but mostly it stays about 0.2 under.

justadad

Hi, in my experience with two sensors so far, the libre is unreliable on day 1, better on day 2, and constant until it expires. However, the readings are always lower than my meter readings, even after day 2, usually for about 1 mmol. This bothers me, but I appreciate the libre for the trends and the history. The information I get about how some foods affect bg levels, the spikes and the lows, is most useful, it overrides the reading inaccuracies.
Lost the reader the other day, only then I realised how valuable it was to me. Found it the next day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I thought you were are you are so knowledgeable.

LOL. If only. I know nothing about T1, insulin use, pumps and a lot more besides! I only know somethings about the Libre because I use them. Nice of you to think that, though!

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hi, in my experience with two sensors so far, the libre is unreliable on day 1, better on day 2, and constant until it expires. However, the readings are always lower than my meter readings, even after day 2, usually for about 1 mmol. This bothers me, but I appreciate the libre for the trends and the history. The information I get about how some foods affect bg levels, the spikes and the lows, is most useful, it overrides the reading inaccuracies.
Lost the reader the other day, only then I realised how valuable it was to me. Found it the next day.

Yeah, I totally get you. But for me the difference is way too big - today I measured in the Libre and it was finally something different then low - 98 and I got super happy! But in my meter it was 180 :( and again the difference this afternoon was from 100, so if my blood sugar is ok, it'll always show Lo and no trends and that pretty much makes it not worth using..

Do you guys think I should do something?
I'm really upset with everything..

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I totally get you. But for me the difference is way too big - today I measured in the Libre and it was finally something different then low - 98 and I got super happy! But in my meter it was 180 :( and again the difference this afternoon was from 100, so if my blood sugar is ok, it'll always show Lo and no trends and that pretty much makes it not worth using..

I'm not a Type1 so I was kind of hoping other Type 1 Libre users would have words of wisdom. My first Libre was all over the place at first but then it settled. If yours is way out all the time it might be worthwhile getting in touch with Libre Customer Support as you may have a dodgy sensor.
When it was all over the place I did feel a bit 'what's the point?' But I stuck with it. For me though it is not as important for total accuracy as I am not an insulin user. Get in touch with them, explain your results and see what they say.

justadad

From what I have read on this forum, people are quite happy with their libre and accept its faults, but such drastic difference in the readings is not helpful. Might be an issue with the sensor, if you want you can report the issue to abbott, they will respond within three days. As I understand thay do replace faulty sensors.
All the best!

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I'm not a Type1 so I was kind of hoping other Type 1 Libre users would have words of wisdom. My first Libre was all over the place at first but then it settled. If yours is way out all the time it might be worthwhile getting in touch with Libre Customer Support as you may have a dodgy sensor.
When it was all over the place I did feel a bit 'what's the point?' But I stuck with it. For me though it is not as important for total accuracy as I am not an insulin user. Get in touch with them, explain your results and see what they say.

Yeah, I'll do that first thing tomorrow!
Thanks a lot for the advice! :)

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
From what I have read on this forum, people are quite happy with their libre and accept its faults, but such drastic difference in the readings is not helpful. Might be an issue with the sensor, if you want you can report the issue to abbott, they will respond within three days. As I understand thay do replace faulty sensors.
All the best!

Thanks! I will call them tomorrow and explain the situation.
Today I fell a bit better and hopeful!
Going on a bike ride soon, that always cheers me up :)
All the best to you too!