Just been diagnosed

And need some help. I have recently had a glucose tolerance test where my levels were - fasting 6.8 mmol/l - after glucose drink 2 hours - 15.1 mmol/l. I am 62 years old.

I have had 4 tests where I am in the pre-diabetic levels. I have heart failure and Ischaemic heart disease - both unrelated.

I saw my GP last week who said I am diabetic, and have an appointment to see the diabetes nurse on 30th September. I have just bought a Blood Glucose monitor, and the readings fasting are about 6.1 mmol/l, and 2 hours after food are about 8.8 mmol/l.

Because of my heart problems, I already eat a fairly healthy diet, but cannot exercise due to severe breathlessness and osteorthritis in both hips. I am overweight, but don't eat a lot.

Do I need to change my diet?

wobblyme

Dislikes
Offal (hate it) rudeness, inpolite people
Am like you, newly dx and totally confused with the dos and dont's...

I'm even confused with this site lol...and this is the first message I have been able to read and therefore you have a reply!!

Sadly I havn't got the answers as am in limbo land myself...Wish I knew how to post a message of my own :(

Good luck with your journey into finding out what you need to do from here on in...

Really wish people used the chat room here would of been great to chat to experienced diabetics...

Take care

Wobbly me :)