New cravings after weeks of low carb

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed with type 2 just under three months ago. Doc suggested I try 3 months of diet and exercise. Started low carb diet immediately, testing on average eight times a day. weight started to drop off, but bs didn't start to drop until I started skipping breakfast and keeping my carb intake to about 30g a day. Anyway, everything was going swimmingly until about a week ago....masses of energy, lost 25 lbs, BS averages down from the 13's to the high 6's (still a way to go!). Suddenly, after not feeling overly hungry or craving carbs at all, I'm suddenly thinking about food all the time again and craving sugar!! Help!! My willpower is rubbish and I was so thrilled that the low carb diet wasn't leaving me hungry! Haven't changed my diet and can't think what's causing the change.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed with type 2 just under three months ago. Doc suggested I try 3 months of diet and exercise. Started low carb diet immediately, testing on average eight times a day. weight started to drop off, but bs didn't start to drop until I started skipping breakfast and keeping my carb intake to about 30g a day. Anyway, everything was going swimmingly until about a week ago....masses of energy, lost 25 lbs, BS averages down from the 13's to the high 6's (still a way to go!). Suddenly, after not feeling overly hungry or craving carbs at all, I'm suddenly thinking about food all the time again and craving sugar!! Help!! My willpower is rubbish and I was so thrilled that the low carb diet wasn't leaving me hungry! Haven't changed my diet and can't think what's causing the change.
You did you haven't changed your diet but have you inadvertently upped protein or lowered fat? Some new food? Artificial sweeteners?
Sometimes these little things make a big difference.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This happens , What I do is just shine it on and keep goin , if it REALLY bugs me I brush my teeth , chew sugarless gum it works for me.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As your palate changes it can become less as time goes and you will start looking forward to sugarless gum , that occasional diet soda and be satisfied with these and others you may think of along your way.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You did you haven't changed your diet but have you inadvertently upped protein or lowered fat? Some new food? Artificial sweeteners?
Sometimes these little things make a big difference.
Hmm, have been drinking diet coke over the last week or so, which I wasn't before - could it be that?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As your palate changes it can become less as time goes and you will start looking forward to sugarless gum , that occasional diet soda and be satisfied with these and others you may think of along your way.
Started drinking diet coke as a bit of a sweet fix - maybe that 'set it off' ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Started drinking diet coke as a bit of a sweet fix - maybe that 'set it off' ?
Only one way to find out!!! Ditch it for a few days.
Did your blood sugar change?
Sometimes the sweet tells the brain it wants more. If it's the bubbles you like go for flavored seltzer ( sparkling) water. Not the same but better than feeling hungry!! I put a lemon in it. Good for flushing the kidneys too!!

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only one way to find out!!! Ditch it for a few days.
Did your blood sugar change?
Sometimes the sweet tells the brain it wants more. If it's the bubbles you like go for flavored seltzer ( sparkling) water. Not the same but better than feeling hungry!! I put a lemon in it. Good for flushing the kidneys too!!
I shall ditch it and see, and no it was not affecting my BS.

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's good at least. Seems it might trigger something in your brain. Please keep me posted. I'll be interested to see if we nailed it

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's good at least. Seems it might trigger something in your brain. Please keep me posted. I'll be interested to see if we nailed it
Will do! The I've had a cold too, so maybe my resistance is a bit low.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2

i binge on raw carrots if i get really hungry (not the most enticing snack, i know, but they fill me up quite quickly). i read somewhere (can't remember where) that diet colas, etc., can turn on the sugar cravings again, so probably better to keep them to a minimum. the nutritionist i work with said that starting to feel hungry on a low carb diet can be a sign of your system starting to function more normally again, and the trick is to do a little exercise, maybe walk up a couple of flights of stairs - as hunger is a signal that we are going to need food in the near future (not immediately) and is regulated by our 'old' brains, we are programmed to go foraging or hunting when we start to feel hungry. so exercise can apparently fool your brain into thinking that food will be coming soon, so it may reduce the feelings of hunger.

no idea if any of this is helpful or not :)

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i binge on raw carrots if i get really hungry (not the most enticing snack, i know, but they fill me up quite quickly). i read somewhere (can't remember where) that diet colas, etc., can turn on the sugar cravings again, so probably better to keep them to a minimum. the nutritionist i work with said that starting to feel hungry on a low carb diet can be a sign of your system starting to function more normally again, and the trick is to do a little exercise, maybe walk up a couple of flights of stairs - as hunger is a signal that we are going to need food in the near future (not immediately) and is regulated by our 'old' brains, we are programmed to go foraging or hunting when we start to feel hungry. so exercise can apparently fool your brain into thinking that food will be coming soon, so it may reduce the feelings of hunger.

no idea if any of this is helpful or not :)
Yep, helpful thanks. Carrots are not great for me, they spike me a bit more than I'd like, but maybe run up and down the stairs! Am doing a mile walk in the morning and 45 mins at the gym almost daily, so am getting enough exercise generally, but will try a bit when I get the cravings (that and ditch the diet coke!)

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I remember seeing a TV program some time ago when the divided people into 3 groups, the groups where given
  • Water
  • Coke
  • Diat Coke
To drink before having access to a room with unlimited food, have had not eaten for a few hours. It was monitored how much each person ate.
  • The people who drink the water ate the least,
  • The people with the full sugar coke had the next highest intake of calories including the suger in the coke.
  • The people who had the diat coke ate the most calories by a large amount.
The researchers think that that taste of sugar resulted in the brain expecting to get lots of carbs and the brain was not happy until it got all the carbs it was expecting…. It could even be that the taste of sugar results in insulin being released.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Will do! The I've had a cold too, so maybe my resistance is a bit low.
Having an infection can make BG go high. I find that even minor infections can cause high readings. As is the character of diabetes, different things affect people in different ways, but I wouldn't mind betting that the initial sugar spike has set off these carb desires.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the cold would effect your bs more than cause hunger. Have some broth for the cold

If it's a sweet craving a bite of pickle or tsp mustard will stop that dead in its tracks!!!

I'm thinking it's the sweetness turning on the brain.

Carrots don't work for me either.
Having an infection can make BG go high. I find that even minor infections can cause high readings. As is the character of diabetes, different things affect people in different ways, but I wouldn't mind betting that the initial sugar spike has set off these carb desires.
the OP said his blood glucose didn't go up. Just his cravings
I remember seeing a TV program some time ago when the divided people into 3 groups, the groups where given
  • Water
  • Coke
  • Diat Coke
To drink before having access to a room with unlimited food, have had not eaten for a few hours. It was monitored how much each person ate.
  • The people with the full sugar coke had the next highest intake of calories including the suger in the coke.
The researchers think that that taste of sugar resulted in the brain expecting to get lots of carbs and the brain was not happy until it got all the carbs it was expecting…. It could even be that the taste of sugar results in insulin being released.
super interesting!!! Gotta tell my stevia fan friend.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
  • Water
  • Coke
  • Diat Coke
Yup , and I believe even the smell of certain things trigger the brain for a release.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as hunger is a signal that we are going to need food in the near future (not immediately) and is regulated by our 'old' brains, we are programmed to go foraging or hunting when we start to feel hungry. so exercise can apparently fool your brain into thinking that food will be coming soon, so it may reduce the feelings of hunger.

I've definitely found this to be true. On fasting days - particularly when at work, a lunch time walk generally gets rid of any hunger. When it doesn't - like yesterday - I know I'm truly hungry and just eat something low carb.

Reactions: Chook and Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is all really interesting - I drink a LOT of diet pop, and sweeten my yogurt with Splenda (yoghurt which I have with sugar free jelly) - so I consume a lot of artificial sweeteners.

Can't be good for me...

:facepalm:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is all really interesting - I drink a LOT of diet pop, and sweeten my yogurt with Splenda (yoghurt which I have with sugar free jelly) - so I consume a lot of artificial sweeteners.

Can't be good for me...

:facepalm:
Stop that @Snapsy !! We need you healthy! Lol.

Artificial sweeteners tear my gut up! Immediately.

Funny story. My stevia fan friend bought some new protein powder with stevia. She makes an avocado smoothie for her 1 1/2 year old grandson and when she used the new protein powder with stevia he wouldn't touch it and spit it out. He gobbles the other one without artificial sweeteners. Kids know best!!!

I used to love diet iced tea and sugar free lemonade but always bloated me. It took awhile to get used to but now I drink sparkling water witha lemon or a very weak black tea with lemon. I make a cup of tea and use about 1/4, add water lemon and ice.

Doesn't it make you feel like junk?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow @Kristin251 - amazing story about the kid!

I don't feel like junk, BUT I do have an ongoing issue, cause unknown and treatment for which didn't work, which might possibly be explained, if I thought about it long enough, by consumption of artificial sweeteners. Might have to go cold turkey to see if it makes a difference........ it's something that I think about now and again, but never do quite manage to put aside the sugar-free squash, diet ginger beer or no-added sugar strawberry jelly with yoghurt and Splenda on top!

:rolleyes: