Anyone else vegan?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry just seeing your reply. Thanks. I added fish in to 3 lunches a week. I still end up having loads of carbs despite having only 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup beans etc... its insane
I think that's why vegan would be very difficult. Glad to see fish back in.
We really don't need loads of complete proteins so it's not hard to eat it through the day. Typically 4-5 oz divided is enough.

So put and egg on your spinach with some avocado instead of quinoa and beans. Same for lunch and dinner. Use veggies as your starch or carbs. My diet is only 15% protein. Most of it is fat but modest amounts. Avocado is very filling. Then a few veggies and nuts. MOST of my fat is plant fat vs animal fat. Very few carbs as they are no good for my Bg and that is my priority.

How is your bg with the carbs? Are you home testing?

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going vegan on s low budget can be really really easy. You just need to think about a menu plan for the week AND stick to it. For example, I can handle a small bowl of muesli for breakfast (no dried fruit) only berries. You can get cheap frozen berries in an supermarket and they last ages. Lunch can be hummus, olives and salad - always make your own as it's a tenth of the price. Or you can have soup - tomato, lentil, vegetable .. whatever you fancy. Get s thermos for when you are on the go.

Tea can be sooooooooo varied. If you have friends get them round and use onion, courgette, celery, 1 small carrot finely chopped, (if you can handle it) squash cut and cubed .. and if the budget allows add an aubergine. A little oil and simmer slowly for an hour. Add chopped tomatoes and s.immer for another 45 minutes!.

Tell your friends it's ready - tell them you want a contribution then serve.

If no supportive friends reduce portions proportionately

Enjoy. Being Veeg is fun. I did it as s student and that was probably when your mum and dad were still playing on trikes!!!! Lolol

Good luck

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 if you really want to be Veeg then don't be put off by the nosayers. There are many diabetics out there who follow a low a low carb diet and are exclusively plant-based. I know because I'm one of them.

The secret to eating Veeg and being healthy is ALWAYS plan your meals AND test, test, test!

If there are foods you cant handle, work around them. I cant do bread, potato, pasta or rice but there are alternatives. In fact the beauty of plant-based alternatives are that there are usually more of them.

Try easing up on the the carbs and make sure 50% of your plate is vegetable

Going Veeg is a transition but the health, moral and ethical benefits far outweigh any hard work.

Reactions: WuTwo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Eggs don't cause high cholesterol by the way. Our bodies make it, we don't get it from food.
That is not strictly true. Eggs have 'good cholesterol' and while our bodies produce 85% of total cholesterol the other 15% is dietary.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so theoretically, I could kill a baby chick for that additional 15% of cholesterol requirement despite extensive evidence that shows there are many plant-based alternatives. Plus there is plenty of research out there showing that eggs are contraindicated for people who are diabetic or have coronary issues.

So what's so special about an egg? Well the foetus inside reckons it's pretty important. So if it's ok to eat chicken foetus what about cow? Or pig? Or lamb? Because surely the same rules apply - if you are a vegan you wiil avoid anything that causes harm or injury to any living thing. Sure if your life depended on it maybe there would be an argument - but for a meagre 15%????

All I can say to my fellow Veegs is keep the faith.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh .. and as an addendum, as someone who hasn't had an egg in any form for many years, my current HbA1c is 38 (last year 36) and my HDL and LDL cholesterol levels are all in normal range. Maybe a vegan diet really can work for you. Can it?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 if you really want to be Veeg then don't be put off by the nosayers. There are many diabetics out there who follow a low a low carb diet and are exclusively plant-based. I know because I'm one of them.

The secret to eating Veeg and being healthy is ALWAYS plan your meals AND test, test, test!

If there are foods you cant handle, work around them. I cant do bread, potato, pasta or rice but there are alternatives. In fact the beauty of plant-based alternatives are that there are usually more of them.

Try easing up on the the carbs and make sure 50% of your plate is vegetable

Going Veeg is a transition but the health, moral and ethical benefits far outweigh any hard work.
If only.....
First I am 20 carbs or less per day and all in avocado, nuts, asparagus and a lettuce for wraps. My stomach can't handle veggies in any quantity as dad as that is because I haven't met a veggie I don't like. Oh, other than mustard or dandelion greens haha. I do crave and like animal protein but I eat it in small amounts. I don't think my body would function in health without it but I never eat or need slabs. 2 oz lunch and dinner and a cheese snack

My stomach is almost worse than the big D

Thanks for your thoughts though. :)

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
Eggs don't cause high cholesterol by the way. Our bodies make it, we don't get it from food.
Absolutely nor does the high fat! Read Diet Doctor/Zoe Harcombe

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ok so theoretically, I could kill a baby chick for that additional 15% of cholesterol requirement despite extensive evidence that shows there are many plant-based alternatives. Plus there is plenty of research out there showing that eggs are contraindicated for people who are diabetic or have coronary issues.

So what's so special about an egg? Well the foetus inside reckons it's pretty important. So if it's ok to eat chicken foetus what about cow? Or pig? Or lamb? Because surely the same rules apply - if you are a vegan you wiil avoid anything that causes harm or injury to any living thing. Sure if your life depended on it maybe there would be an argument - but for a meagre 15%????

All I can say to my fellow Veegs is keep the faith.

Ah, eggs are not foetus'. They are unfertilised ova.

Reactions: Enclave

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And why do you think they are unfertilised? Where do you think the male chicks go? If you don't know then you remain happier ignorant but I have photographs if you wish to see. They are not for the squeamish.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just stepping in with a gentle moderator reminder to everyone to keep it civil please, and be mindful of others' choices being equally valid.
Specifically, in case of doubt, this is part of the community ethos we are all signed up to:-

Rule B3
Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Duly noted @Pipp and apologies if my response was a bit OTT. Hopefully you'll forgive if you know that ATM I am in hospital with pneumonia (ok .. ok ... I admit it, I'm playing the sympathy card ).

Oh .. and being Veeg and diabetic in hospital is a nightmare!!!!!

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Duly noted @Pipp and apologies if my response was a bit OTT. Hopefully you'll forgive if you know that ATM I am in hospital with pneumonia (ok .. ok ... I admit it, I'm playing the sympathy card ).

Oh .. and being Veeg and diabetic in hospital is a nightmare!!!!!
Like the response, not that you are in hospital.
Get well soon, and good luck with the food. Hope you have someone to bring in something you can eat, and enjoy.

delinwales

I was type 2 diabetic according to the doctors. I was a veggie but then stopped eggs and only have milk because I can't afford to change totally to soya milk. The doctors now confirm I am no longer type 2 diabetic.

Post edited by a Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was type 2 diabetic according to the doctors. I was a veggie but then stopped eggs and only have milk because I can't afford to change totally to soya milk. The doctors now confirm I am no longer type 2 diabetic.
I would not be healthy without animal or fish flesh. I don't need loads but I do need some.

I would never drink milk. I refer to it as cow pus. We all have our own thoughts and feeling on food. That's why no two people are the same!

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess at the end of the day it comes down to moral and ethical choice. I choose to live a vegan life because it is right for me. Is it right for everyone? Well the science shows unequivocal benefits from eating vegan. However, it does rather feel like food fascism to suggest everyone MUST eat a certain way.

Veganism like every diet must be promoted as being attractive and then people can make reasoned, legitimate concerns. I understand the comments of those who feel they must eat some meat, fish or dairy and I do appreciate their concerns if they were to stop.

Surely what is needed is better education about food so we can all make informed decisions.

For most the path to veganism is a transition and whether you are at the beginning or the end then "welcome"! Don't give up and maybe take things in slow and easy steps. You will get there. You won't die and many, many people would love to help you on the way.