advice please

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if i give myself some of my fast acting insulin because at the moment my bg is very high will it affect my basal shot which im due to take in about an hour x

Reactions: negara123
D

Deleted Account

I would not expect your fast acting to affect your basal.
I would,often take basal and bolus at same time or close together.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The correction dose would not affect your basal unless of course your basal dose is incorrect. I would guess that unless you have done any intense activity your high reading is most likely as a result of either a miss calculation in carbs you have consumed or your basal needs a little tweaking. If your basal dose is correct and your bolus was taken 3-4 hours ago and you have no insulin on board it may well be that your insulin to carb ratio may need adjusting. If that's the case than I would say a correction dose would be required which would not affect your background insulin but would bring you back intro range. I obviously can not advise on the correction you will need as this is base on the ISF which is different for we everyone. Has your DNS discussed and advised you of your correction dose?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm high I take a well thought out bolus. Then basal. I know 1/2 unit drops me about 20 US points and then I take normal basal.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone i didnt take the bolus because i wasnt sure if it would effect basal as i hadnt had your replies when i went to bed my bg was 15.2 and on waking this morning my bg was 8.6 so maybe in hindsight i should of bolused just a bit unsure how it would of effected me i have been doing a carb count on the 1-10 ratio so maybe do need a bit more but at the moment i dont have a half unit pen and i am waiting to go on a carb counting course so once again thanks for advice x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone i didnt take the bolus because i wasnt sure if it would effect basal as i hadnt had your replies when i went to bed my bg was 15.2 and on waking this morning my bg was 8.6 so maybe in hindsight i should of bolused just a bit unsure how it would of effected me i have been doing a carb count on the 1-10 ratio so maybe do need a bit more but at the moment i dont have a half unit pen and i am waiting to go on a carb counting course so once again thanks for advice x
Sounds like your basal is too high.
I think I read in Think Like A Pancreas that if your 30 or more points below bed and fasting, reduce basal and 30 or more over bed and fasting to add more basal. This is how I do it. Basal should just keep you steady. It's not meant to work on food or lower you.
So if I go to bed a little high I keep my basal the same but might take 1/2 unit bolus to take me to where I want to be and use the basal to keep me steady.
You had quite a drop.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your basal is too high.
I think I read in Think Like A Pancreas that if your 30 or more points below bed and fasting, reduce basal and 30 or more over bed and fasting to add more basal. This is how I do it. Basal should just keep you steady. It's not meant to work on food or lower you.
So if I go to bed a little high I keep my basal the same but might take 1/2 unit bolus to take me to where I want to be and use the basal to keep me steady.
You had quite a drop.
sometimes my readings could be around 8 b4 bed and then they are about 7.6 of a morning other times i could be high at about 12/13 then come morning bk to around 7/8ish its mad and i dont really understand but im seeing dn on monday so will discuss it with her although my readings are starting to rise so maybe honeymoon is coming to an end x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
sometimes my readings could be around 8 b4 bed and then they are about 7.6 of a morning other times i could be high at about 12/13 then come morning bk to around 7/8ish its mad and i dont really understand but im seeing dn on monday so will discuss it with her although my readings are starting to rise so maybe honeymoon is coming to an end x
An unusually high fatty meal can do that. For me animal fat does.. like a burger. Plant fats not nearly as much.

The amount of protein too. I need to split boluses if I eat a high animal fat meal or more than 3 oz protein

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An unusually high fatty meal can do that. For me animal fat does.. like a burger. Plant fats not nearly as much.

The amount of protein too. I need to split boluses if I eat a high animal fat meal or more than 3 oz protein
thats probably it kristin thanks x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's said if your basal insulin is set at the right dose then your overnight bg levels shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol/l, but many things can effect overnight bg levels and one is eating a evening meal that is high in fat (as @Kristin251 has already pointed out).

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's said if your basal insulin is set at the right dose then your overnight bg levels shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol/l, but many things can effect overnight bg levels and one is eating a evening meal that is high in fat (as @Kristin251 has already pointed out).
i think that is right noblehead i think the fat has a delayed reaction on me went to bed last night at 8.6 and woke up at 7.3 so all good there yet night b4 went to bed at 15.2 but down to 8.6 in morning and i did have a high fat content tea and was not very active afterwards if my bg stays below 10 im satisfied with that although others consider 7/8s as too high i actually feel full of energy were if im round the high fives or below i feel awful i know this is due to being use to high bg levels and will try and get them down but for now i wont worry too much as its only been 5 months since my diagnosis an thanks for advice x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something's not quite right here.

If your unusual 15.something before bed results in a 7.something in the morning, it's not down to a high fat previous evening meal, surely (everyone feel free to shoot me down, correct me or what ever!) if you had a high fat meal and bolus accordingly at the time, you'd find you'd go lowish before bed or ~2hrs after injecting (the insulin working quicker than the carbs are absorbed) and higher during the night (as the carbs are finally absorbed and the bolus insulin runs out).

The initial reaction to this scenario is to assume you have too much basal, but as you say other nights you stay level overnight.

Perhaps it is the honeymoon and your pancreas kicking in over night when you do go to bed high.

BTW taking basal and bolus insulin together isn't a problem, the basal's there to keep you level, the bolus to cover a meal and/or as a correction for a high. They won't affect each other unless you inject them in the same area - a bit like mixing your drinks, try and keep the injection sites well apart.

Reactions: karen8967

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i think that is right noblehead i think the fat has a delayed reaction on me went to bed last night at 8.6 and woke up at 7.3 so all good there yet night b4 went to bed at 15.2 but down to 8.6 in morning and i did have a high fat content tea and was not very active afterwards

Did you take a corrective dose when you went to bed on 15.2 ?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Something's not quite right here.

If your unusual 15.something before bed results in a 7.something in the morning, it's not down to a high fat previous evening meal, surely (everyone feel free to shoot me down, correct me or what ever!) if you had a high fat meal and bolus accordingly at the time, you'd find you'd go lowish before bed or ~2hrs after injecting (the insulin working quicker than the carbs are absorbed) and higher during the night (as the carbs are finally absorbed and the bolus insulin runs out).

The initial reaction to this scenario is to assume you have too much basal, but as you say other nights you stay level overnight.

Perhaps it is the honeymoon and your pancreas kicking in over night when you do go to bed high.

BTW taking basal and bolus insulin together isn't a problem, the basal's there to keep you level, the bolus to cover a meal and/or as a correction for a high. They won't affect each other unless you inject them in the same area - a bit like mixing your drinks, try and keep the injection sites well apart.
perhaps it like you say still in honeymoon cant make it out myself but when im not high levels stay even ,mad isnt it lol also i still spike 2 hours after meals but by 4 hours im bk to normal [what ever normal is haha] so have stopped checking 2 hrs after to give me fingers a rest and thanks for replying slip xx

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was able for a few months this year to not take corrections as they always landed me on the verge of or hypo no matter how small. If I left it it would reasonably correct overnight. It was put down to honeymoon at the time which I agree with. I'm now able to take small corrections at higher (double) figures and know roughly where I'll end up. It fits with my insulin sensitivity factor which I calculated.

I had to try taking 0.5 unit to see what that lowered me by until I cautiously tried 1 unit and I've been able to use the correction factor since. It's not hugely precise as I think I'm fairly insulin sensitive.

Just my two pence of my own experience. :)

Reactions: karen8967

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
no because i was waiting for advice from yous good people on the forum x

The reason why I asked was because you'd dropped over-night by 6.6mmol/l, yet the night after you only dropped by 1.3mmol/l.

Maybe keep a detailed bg diary for a few days (bg levels, insulin doses, carbs eaten and the content of the meals) and run it all by your DSN for them to advise.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason why I asked was because you'd dropped over-night by 6.6mmol/l, yet the night after you only dropped by 1.3mmol/l.

Maybe keep a detailed bg diary for a few days (bg levels, insulin doses, carbs eaten and the content of the meals) and run it all by your DSN for them to advise.
i do keep a detailed bg diary with me doses of insulin i take and i have got an appointment with dsn on monday il jot down the meals ive eaten for me tea tonight ive had a grilled gammon steak ,small jacket potato and beans i took 8 units of apidra this was at 4.30 this afternoon done me bg at 9.30 and reading was 11,7 so il let you know what my reading are in the morning x

Reactions: noblehead