UPDATE TO NICE RECOMMENDATION FOR T2D

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
More likely to be intensive spouting of the same rubbish that many of us are already used to .. and, of course, more NHS money frittered away. Apparently NICE are aiming for a target of 1.7 million folk being identified as "High Risk", thus increasing the diabetic population by something like 40 to 50%

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not impressed.

"GPs should also advise all patients with weight problems to make diet changes - such as swapping Bombay mix and crisps for healthier snacks such as unsalted nuts and low-fat yoghurt, the NHS guidance says. Fish and lean meats should be chosen instead of sausages and burgers, with fatty foods such as mayonnaise, chips, pastries and samosas shunned, it says."

This still demonises fat and still gives out the message that unsalted nuts will cure you.

Also I would like to see an end to the blame culture and there is still a whiff of this in this guidance.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of a routine check for over 40's I am convinced that I would have been alerted sooner, and thus contained the damage - depending on the advice given for those with higher BG

This was a NICE recommendation some time ago. My surgery started it at least 2 years ago. My daughter and her husband were called in, as were some of my younger friends. (all in their 40s) They had the full works - HbA1c, cholesterol etc, kidneys and liver, FBC. Plus blood pressure, height and weight and waist measurement. They also had the Q-risk score done. They all passed well enough to be told they would be called back in 3 years. (or it may have been 5 years)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried the on line tool for assessment? The link is in the article.

I am still laughing. I am deemed at risk because I scored 9 points. The 9 points were all because of my age! I scored 0 on all the other criteria. So because I am 69 I am at risk and can do bu*ger all about it.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fish and lean meats should be chosen instead of sausages and burgers, with fatty foods such as mayonnaise, chips, pastries and samosas shunned, it says."
This still demonises fat and still gives out the message that unsalted nuts will cure you.
I think you'are over-reading it. By the way I stay awy from pastries and chips because elsewhere my BG sky rockets. Mayonnaise it's another thing if is't home made or you'll check the label always.
547346_hellmansoliveback-00.jpg

(Soybean oil? Starch? Sugar?? Eh?)

In these thing the devil is in the detail, or the presentation of data. I am sure very few people have understood the eatwell plate and correctly follow it or aren't forgetting the random snack or icecream outside dinner and lunch.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
New recommendations from the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (Nice) say “intensive lifestyle change programmes” will be routinely offered to those whose weight or habits is jeopardising their health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/15/40s-should-have-diabetes-check-millions-put-diet/

"millions ordered to go on strict diets by GPs"

Leaving aside that GPs do not "order" you to do stuff, how are they going to enforce it? The rest of the article said "offered" not "forced". What a load of sensationalist tosh.

I tried the test and I scored 14 which is increased risk.

However male (1) and age 60-69 (9) put me in the increased risk anyway.

The interesting one was that I put my waist at 36" and height at 72" (so waist half of height) but the scoring gave me 4 for that and would have given me 0 for a 35" waist.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone tried the on line tool for assessment? The link is in the article.

I am still laughing. I am deemed at risk because I scored 9 points. The 9 points were all because of my age! I scored 0 on all the other criteria. So because I am 69 I am at risk and can do bu*ger all about it.

You should have avoided getting old.
Not currently available on the NHS though.

Reactions: donnellysdogs
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you'are over-reading it. By the way I stay awy from pastries and chips because elsewhere my BG sky rockets. Mayonnaise it's another thing if is't home made or you'll check the label always.
547346_hellmansoliveback-00.jpg

(Soybean oil? Starch? Sugar?? Eh?)

In these thing the devil is in the detail, or the presentation of data. I am sure very few people have understood the eatwell plate and correctly follow it or aren't forgetting the random snack or icecream outside dinner and lunch.
I am only quoting the NICE guidlines. When you quote me you are quoting them. I don't think I have misunderstood the Eatwell Guide. If I have misunderstood the random snack or icecream outside dinner and lunch then you are unfamiliar with the habits of many of us type 2's who cannot indulge in that kind of eating

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ice cream is allowed as long as it is Oppo.

Says he, have way through a bowl of Oppo ice cream and strawberries.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MikeTurin
My Hellmanns mayo jar says:=
Rapeseed oil, water, pasteurised free range egg, spirit vinegar,salt, sugar, lemon juice,antioxidant, flavouring, paprika extract.

frankbegbie

The big problem is the world doesn't have enough food for all the people if everybody wants to change to LCHF.
Most of the population has to eat cereals, bread and rice and all the other stuff that we don't, or there won't be enough to go around.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am only quoting the NICE guidlines. When you quote me you are quoting them. I don't think I have misunderstood the Eatwell Guide. If I have misunderstood the random snack or icecream outside dinner and lunch then you are unfamiliar with the habits of many of us type 2's who cannot indulge in that kind of eating

I am Type 2 too. And I am not an English native speaker so I know that sometimes I can be misunderstood.
Shooting at NICE guidelines or the Eatwell plate when a lot of people, even who, like me has Type 2 diabetes, doesn't follow it and eat worse with more calorie intake than the necessary, because is misinformed, isn't aware due the lack of information from their GP, is counter productive.

The problem from what I can see is that a lot of industrial foods are pictured as wealthy when they are actually not and unfortunately are proposed from expert.
Weetabix and skimmed yoghurt with fruit and sugar, for instance.

LCHF is a possible diet for people with diabetes for losing weight in the Italian guidelines, and MEditerranean too, similar wordings are used in Canadian guidelines, so I'll be unsurprised if the new guidelines will contain these principles.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The big problem is the world doesn't have enough food for all the people if everybody wants to change to LCHF.
Most of the population has to eat cereals, bread and rice and all the other stuff that we don't, or there won't be enough to go around.
Population could eat less, so will remain lean and will make more difficult to develop insulin resistance.

D

Deleted member 308541

They want to send me a letter to take to my GP, because I scored a 30. :meh:

D

Deleted member 308541

Great! I clicked on the link for the letter for my GP and it has timed out. :arghh: