Wheat Bran can help with type 2 diabetes

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
With the news on research in the US I am wondering if it would be worth trying this to see if it works, perhaps others might join me, we could report back our results over a 6 month period of eating 20 grams of wheat bran a day?

Views and thoughts on this from my fellow T2s much appreciated :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the carb count of wheat bran?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
What is the carb count of wheat bran?

Average is 26.8g of carbs per 100g. (Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible 2010)

Nigel

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Think it is helpful keeping snails away from seedlings, or was that sawdust?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Not sure carbs would count if it helps with diabetes.

No, it's beer that keeps snails away from plants :D Guess they get too drunk to eat them.

I imagine you would sprinkle it on your breakfast. No idea otherwise :!:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HpprKM said:
No, it's beer that keeps snails away from plants :D Guess they get too drunk to eat them.
:

Sloshed snails.............I like it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Just to add a note of sobriety here!

Wheat bran is an excellent source for relief of constipation apart from being a very healthy product.
I sprinkle a tablespoon of it over my cereal in the morning or add it to oats when making porridge.
Tried and tested and magnificent!

C

catherinecherub

Wheat bran is an insoluble fibre that "speeds up" bowel movements.

Note to I.B.S., U.C. and Crohn's sufferers, make sure you only have small quantities and not on it's own. Has the same effect as excess fats do for you. :( :(

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Foxglove Hi,
Can I ask how this affects your bgs .Oats and cereal shoot my bgs up anyway does the bran raise levels even more?
CAROL

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi Foxglove,

Can I ask where you buy your Wheat Bran, would it be just plain old bog standard supermarket, I have thought of trying Holland and Barrett?

Regarding raising sugar levels, I can understand some people might worry about this, but surely if it is good for T2s it would not be an issue, or am I being really, really naive :oops:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't It would be great if this was reliable research ?
(I hope I've got the right one, else I've wasted a lot of time)
http://indjst.org/archive/vol.3.issue.3/mar10prieya-13.pdf
Though the press release cites a US source about the increase in the numbers of people with T2 the wheat bran study is from the food and technology departments of 2 Indian Universities. Someone seems to have been excellent at promoting their paper .

30 subjects 15 provided with bran supplements, 15 as control without
Trial was 6 months long
Supplement of 20g wheat bran per day . The subjects were instructed to mix 10g with 50g of wheat flour to make chapattis. This was eaten twice a day.
The results reported are extremely impressive
Average HbA1c in the experimental group fell from 8.37 % to at 6 months 6.41%. Average fasting glucose also fell by 22.8mg/dl and average post prandial levels are also reported to have fallen with an average fall of 39.80 mg/dl (but they don't report whether this was after a specific test meal , a weeks self monitoring, how long after eating etc etc)

In contrast a study in 2002 http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... 22.full#T2
23 diabetic subjects
Each subject spent 3 months on their normal diet with provided bread and cereal supplemented with 19g of wheat bran , thye also spent 3 months as their own control, again on their normal diet but provided with white bread and a cereal containing only 4g of fibre. The cereal products provided contained similar amounts of protein, fat , and availabel carbs. The difference was in the wheat bran fibre. Uneaten supplements were weighed and recorded.
There was a 2 month period between trials and the order they completed the trial was randomised.
No change was seen in mean blood glucose or HbA1c level across either treatment or between treatments
Actually there were no changes in any markers (lipids, blood pressure and many others)
conclusion was
We conclude that addition of wheat bran to foods did not seem to influence glycemic control or risk factors for CHD in subjects with type 2 diabetes. ......' in the short term, no major change should be expected in blood lipid levels and glycemic control from supplementing the diet of diabetic subjects with wheat bran.'
The 2002 study is by a group of very experienced researchers, It appeared to be a very well controlled and well documented piece of reseach . It was published in a major, peer reviewed journal. Very odd that the 2010 paper doesn't even reference it. Even an undergraduate study should start with a literature search (the researchers don't actually claimto have a BSc between them). Sadly, they also haven't checked their abstract:
The present study was to supplement wheat bran........Group A formed the experimental group to which 60 g of wheat germ was supplemented daily for a period of six months. ( 60g here 20g in the body of the paper, wheat germ and wheat bran are not the same thing )

But,if you haven't gone to sleep!
There have been many other studies suggesting that whole grains, and/or cereal fibre help in preventing problems in diabetes. Earlier in the year the Nurses Health study reported that wheat bran may be protectve in the longterm but I really think a drop of 2% points on HbA1c by taking bran is wildly optimistic
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content ... 21/20/2162

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Unfortunately I have found that wheat bran gives me awful stomach pains. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
Unfortunately I have found that wheat bran gives me awful stomach pains. :(

Unfortunately this can be the case with some people Daisy, my daily bowl of all-bran with seeds helps keep my bowels healthy and tip-top condition, but if I go a few days without I can feel the difference (if you know what I mean! :oops: )

Nigel