Testing

Annewalks

My question is regarding tobreadings before and after meals. I understand that shouldn't have a rise of more than 2 between. Who're and two hours after meals but if your reading is example 5.0 before the meal would it be too terrible if the figure rose to say 7.7 . I realise it more than the 2 but still under recommended figures

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well its obviously not optimal and it depends how often it happens. If I got numbers that did that I would be looking for carbs in the meal and reducing them. Assuming you are a Type 2 trying to follow a low carb way of eating.. might be an idea to amend your tag as "member" doesn't really give us much of a clue..

Reactions: Philb69

Annewalks

Sorry I didn't realise the tag was not correct. I am newly diagonosed and been following low carbs for 3 weeks. Didn't think the numbers were that bad as were within the guide lines

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The aim of below 2mmol or lower is to prevent the sharp spikes that over time can cause damage. Your example of the pre meal reading of 5 and post meal reading of 7.7 is too much so you would look at what you ate in that meal and try swapping out an ingredient or trying a smaller portion of an ingredient. At first there is a lot of experimenting to do when trying to lower the carb intake but it gets easier over time. Do not stress about a high reading just learn from it.

This is dependant on whether you take bg lowering drugs or insulin by which I mean that any drop in carbs needs to done with the aknowledgement of your HCPs and a clear understanding that carb lowering must be done extremely carefully.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't realise the tag was not correct. I am newly diagonosed and been following low carbs for 3 weeks. Didn't think the numbers were that bad as were within the guide lines

"not bad" is a relative term. I try to stay below 6 at all times and get very annoyed when I go above that level which is usually down to eating too much of the wrong thing. Going up by 2.7 is far better than going up by 5.0 but a rise of 2 or less is better for you. By keeping blood sugars level and low you should avoid all the nasties that Type 2 can bring, That is where I am coming from. The "Guide lines" have also been written for people who are for the most part on medication (the majority of Type 2's in the UK I imagine) with not so good control. I aim for better but as always its up to you what you do.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bg readings fasting today 6 @ 8am
Before breakfast 7.2 @8.30 only had black decaf tea
2hs after first bite 9.2
3hrs after first bite 6.5

Any advice please,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2hs after first bite 9.2

Any advice please,
What were you biting on or did you just have the tea?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2hs after first bite 9.2

Any advice please,

If it were me I would make sure I had something fatty ASAP after getting up. Instead of black tea, why not a coffee with cream, or a boiled egg, or cheese? It looks like your liver is continuing to dump glucose all morning but your insulin isn't able to keep the glucose levels down.

Annewalks

"not bad" is a relative term. I try to stay below 6 at all times and get very annoyed when I go above that level which is usually down to eating too much of the wrong thing. Going up by 2.7 is far better than going up by 5.0 but a rise of 2 or less is better for you. By keeping blood sugars level and low you should avoid all the nasties that Type 2 can bring, That is where I am coming from. The "Guide lines" have also been written for people who are for the most part on medication (the majority of Type 2's in the UK I imagine) with not so good control. I aim for better but as always its up to you what you do.

Annewalks

This is all new to me and obviously I am going to do what is necesssary. Hopefully I will get numbers lot lower but as I was diagonosed only 3 weeks ago I am still learning. Thank you for your input

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all new to me and obviously I am going to do what is necesssary. Hopefully I will get numbers lot lower but as I was diagonosed only 3 weeks ago I am still learning. Thank you for your input
Sounds like you are doing the right thing anyway and I realise that you are new to all of this..
I'm sorry if I come across a bit abruptly but I look on Type 2 as quite a serious condition that can have some very nasty outcomes so want to avoid those myself and hopefully help others do the same. I'm a low carb evangelist because I think its great and has worked really well for me and quite a few others on the forum.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said some more information from you would help people make the appropriate comments. Bear in mind that some of the members here are much more "dedicated" to maintaining their low BG than others and have very demanding standards specially for the newly diagnosed. I hope @bulkbiker won't mind me saying that he is in the "Elite" category as far as BG control is concerned. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I have a moderately low carb diet and no medication, my last HbA1c was 38 but I have never seen a reading as low as 5 before a meal, so I think you are doing well. The rise of 2 mmol/L is in my opinion a guide to the suitability of meals and not to your overall control. I would rather be going from 5 to 7.7 than say 10 to 11.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The rise of 2 mmol/L is in my opinion a guide to the suitability of meals and not to your overall control.

I understand the variability/standard deviation/swings/spikes or whatever we want to call them are very important indeed. Not to assess food suitability, but to help prevent future complications. It seems to be the case that slightly higher levels but within a tight band of variation, are better than slightly lower levels that fluctuate wildly even though an average of all these fluctuations might be deemed good. (for example on an HbA1c). The aim should be to maintain levels within a narrow range, even if that range starts and finishes a little higher.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand the variability/standard deviation/swings/spikes or whatever we want to call them are very important indeed. Not to assess food suitability, but to help prevent future complications. It seems to be the case that slightly higher levels but within a tight band of variation, are better than slightly lower levels that fluctuate wildly even though an average of all these fluctuations might be deemed good. (for example on an HbA1c). The aim should be to maintain levels within a narrow range, even if that range starts and finishes a little higher.
Opinions differ.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been getting gd fasting bg, then eating & testing 2hrs later most are in range. Today I didn’t eat till bit later after fasting bg, so tested again & was shocked by the bg before eating