So, I have a question

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! :D
I have recently found out i have a sugar intolerance.. Yup , cant eat sugar.. which i usually use to put my hypos up before eating.
So now i'm a little stuck, how can i put my level up from a hypo without sugar? any tips/help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kitty :)

Reactions: Freema

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Wow; never heard of this before. How about trying honey?

Reactions: Addy41

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Glucose tablets or are they sugar?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Use less insulin so you don’t hypo.
I can get mine up with some higher carb veggies like brussel sprouts, broccoli or hummus but mine are never severe.

Glucose tabs are pure glucose/ sugar

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you have fructose or whatever other sugar types there are? I mean is it just glucose that you don't eat?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Strange intolerance. I’ve not come across this before - what reactions do you have to sugar? Are you sure it’s pure sugar that have caused your symptoms? What do you mean by sugar, can you give examples?

All carbohydrates become glucagon, a small molecule form of what we call sugar, when fully digested by a functioning endocrine system. The key is to find a fast digesting high GI carbohydrate that doesn’t ostensibly contain sugar that’ll be absorbed as swiftly as possible. This might be difficult as manufacturers add sugar to make products attractive to consumers’ palates.

I can only think of a few things that might be reasonable alternatives and you’ll need to read the packets carefully:

Crisps, popcorn (make your own, but not when hypo obvs?), potato patties, rice cakes, rice, bread.

If you can tolerate fructose then unsweetened orange or apple juice, banana, pear, mango, watermelon, as a treat, and grapes are good.

It’ll all take longer to be effective so your testing will need to be rigorous and you’ll need to remain hypo-aware.

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange intolerance. I’ve not come across this before - what reactions do you have to sugar? Are you sure it’s pure sugar that have caused your symptoms? What do you mean by sugar, can you give examples?

All carbohydrates become glucagon, a small molecule form of what we call sugar, when fully digested by a functioning endocrine system. The key is to find a fast digesting high GI carbohydrate that doesn’t ostensibly contain sugar that’ll be absorbed as swiftly as possible. This might be difficult as manufacturers add sugar to make products attractive to consumers’ palates.

I can only think of a few things that might be reasonable alternatives and you’ll need to read the packets carefully:

Crisps, popcorn (make your own, but not when hypo obvs?), potato patties, rice cakes, rice, bread.

If you can tolerate fructose then unsweetened orange or apple juice, banana, pear, mango, watermelon, as a treat, and grapes are good.

It’ll all take longer to be effective so your testing will need to be rigorous and you’ll need to remain hypo-aware.

Ok, so i was diagnosed with IBS and i went all in to try and relieve the symptoms by changing my diet. I started with a no starch diet and symptoms remained so i went a step further and cut out everything except for chicken breast fillets. Symptoms remained which was odd but i was still having tate & lyle sugar cubes which are made of sugarcane. Changed to silverspoon sugar which is made of sugar beets to try to see if it makes a difference and it did in the beginning but i did not eat it for two days because my blood sugar levels were oke and my symptoms were subsided and then i had half a teaspoon of the sugar yesterday and my symptoms came back. So i looked up sugar intolerance and found carbohydrate intolerance which has the exact symptoms i am experiencing for years.

I always used sugar to get my level up while i am having a hypo but i would like to stop that as it makes me have symptoms for days. (Symptoms include cramps, bloating, diarrhoea, flatulence, gas, headache, lightheaded and hand tremors)

So is there an alternative that can put my level up fast during a hypo that does not contain massive amounts of carbohydrates. The only thing i can think of is pure glucose so it doesn't need enzymes (as i apparently do not have enough of them) to change them from carbohydrates to glucose. Can i get a glucose pen from the doctor for the hypo's as i had one when i was a kid but when that run out i asked for another one and the doctor denied it.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
glucogel-dextrose-gel-40-25g-pack-of-3-5745243726fc1.jpg
Available on prescription,

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Otherwise try Agave-syrup it is made from a dessertplant But subststionally all sugars are similar and sometimes People confuse reactive hyperinsulin reaction with sugar intolerence , one could Then eat the sugars needed in smaller portions streched over small portions maybe devided in 5 smaller portions and maybe 15 minutes between eating each

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can i get a glucose pen from the doctor for the hypo's as i had one when i was a kid but when that run out i asked for another one and the doctor denied it.

That was probably a glucagon pen. It's not glucose, it's a hormone called glucagon which the alpha cells in your pancreas release to tell the liver to release stored glucose. It tends just to be used for serious unconscious style hypos when the person can't eat. The side effects can be unpleasant, vomiting, that sort of thing.

Still, it might be worth asking your doctor if there's a version available for injecting smaller amounts. I honestly don't know if there is, but I've got a vague recollection of reading about dual pumps which can inject both insulin and glucagon, so maybe worth asking about it to see if you can get a vial for dealing with milder hypos instead of full on face plants.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There’s another post on the site - I think the last comment was 2 days ago. It’s from @Colin of Kent and titled Digestive Issues. Might be worth a look.

Your G.P. should be able to help, too, if you explain your need for hypo treatments. Usually the glucagon pen’s used when a hypo’s severe and someone else has to administer it.

I realise I called glucagen glucagon in my previous post. Sorry.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For your digestive issues you might look into the FODMAPS diet. It breaks foods down into each type of sugar. It really helped me a lot.
It gives some serving sizes that some people can tolerate. You might see something fast acting that you could use like sweet potato?

As I said, I don’t have severe hypos and if I have one a few hours away from insulin veggies work for me. I don’t like to overshoot and start the roller coaster but taking care of the hypo is first and foremost.

https://www.ibsdiets.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IBSDiets-FODMAP-chart.pdf

Here’s to start

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
There’s another post on the site - I think the last comment was 2 days ago. It’s from @Colin of Kent and titled Digestive Issues. Might be worth a look.

Your G.P. should be able to help, too, if you explain your need for hypo treatments. Usually the glucagon pen’s used when a hypo’s severe and someone else has to administer it.

I realise I called glucagen glucagon in my previous post. Sorry.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

Hi Fairygodmother, I think the typo/autocorrect fairy has been at work. All carbohydrates do not become glucagon. What did you mean?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KittyCatMew - Did you have a raft of tests to confirm your issue is indeed sugar, or was it your exclusion exercise that took you to that conclusion?

What does your Doc suggest in terms of the enzymes you are deficient in?