Bulletproof?

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have read that some start their day with bulletproof coffee, and that it contains double cream and coconut oil. I have made a cup just now using good quality instant coffee, a generous measure of double cream and a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil. I like the cup I have just made. It tastes lovely, but am I doing it right?

Also, is there any info on other bulletproof food or drink that you would recommend please?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I prefer my coffee black, so I make bulletproof marmite and oxo drinks instead :) I mix butter into mine with a stick blender, which emulsifies the fat and makes the whole drink creamy.

Reactions: Mufflana

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you google 'bulletproof' coffee, you will find lots of suggestions of how to make it - including videos on youtube, and the 'original' trademarked, single estate coffee brand that started the trend. Also different recipes. Butter. MCT oil. Cream. Instant. Percolated. Espresso.

Basically, you get to do what you like, and then other people tell you that they know a better way... :D

I do love a bulletprood hot chocolate though!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I make a Coconut Chocolate Square (2g carbs per piece) as a treat when cravings hit.

Bullet Proof Coconut Chocolate squares:
3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
1tbsp Splenda (or any sweetener to taste)
Put everything except coconut in microwaveable bowl, melt in microwave. Mix thoroughly until choc is melted, stir in coconut, spread into plastic 9x10 container, cool. Slice into 16 pieces. I put it into a baggie and freeze.

Last edited:

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a Coconut Chocolate Square (2g carbs per piece) as a treat when cravings hit.

3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
Put everything except coconut in microwaveable bowl, melt in microwave. Mix thoroughly until choc is melted, stir in coconut, spread into plastic 9x10 container, cool. Slice into 16 pieces. I put it into a baggie and freeze.

Sounds wonderful Would coconut flour be okay in this recipe?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick with what you're doing, @Cambiel! You don't need the expensive MCT oil you see in some (rather precious) recipes, or the egg. Hot coffee + raw egg? Who wants scrambled egg in their coffee?? Ooh, thanks to @LouWilk059 for posting her recipe for choc coco squares again - I was looking for it on the Forum as a change from choc peanut squares and couldn't find it :)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It tastes lovely, but am I doing it right?
Sorry but probably not. :bookworm:
It's all about the nutrients that you use in each stage to get the full benefit. Such as grass fed butter. Organic unrefined coconut oil, the bean oils from freshly ground coffee.
(no cream the butter is where the fat comes from. but there both fat and your's probably tastes better. :hungry:)

But if you like it your way and you must be getting most of the same benefits,
then that's got to be good right. ;)
:bag:

P.s. I know its not about me BUT ....
I drink the coffee black, have a spoon full of double cream and put the coconut oil in my hair. :wideyed:
:bag:

Last edited:

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm ok will try it with butter and try whisking it to elmusify the fat and oil.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds wonderful Would coconut flour be okay in this recipe?
It's in essence a high fat chocolate bar, hence the "bullet proof". I don't think adding flour to it would be a good idea, unless you turn the coconut flour into a base, like a crumble.

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's in essence a high fat chocolate bar, hence the "bullet proof". I don't think adding flour to it would be a good idea, unless you turn the coconut flour into a base, like a crumble.
Thanks Lou :) So which type of coconut is best please? Desiccated, creamed or flaked etc?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Lou :) So which type of coconut is best please? Desiccated, creamed or flaked etc?
I use shredded because it's easily available, but flaked would certainly work. I think toasted would be nice too. You could also substitute the coconut with chopped nuts if you prefer.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Cambiel

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use shredded because it's easily available, but flaked would certainly work. I think toasted would be nice too. You could also substitute the coconut with chopped nuts if you prefer.

Brilliant! I have some toasted flaked coconut so I can go for it! Thank you Lou

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have read that some start their day with bulletproof coffee, and that it contains double cream and coconut oil. I have made a cup just now using good quality instant coffee, a generous measure of double cream and a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil. I like the cup I have just made. It tastes lovely, but am I doing it right?

Also, is there any info on other bulletproof food or drink that you would recommend please?

The version I read was coffee, double cream, butter and coconut oil.
I can't face the coconut oil so I have "bullet resistant" coffee which is 3 teaspoons of instant :wideyed: plus a big heaped teaspoon of butter, and I guess about 1/3 double cream.

I see some other recipes use a tablespoon of butter, and I struggle to visualise this. Perhaps a "tablespooner" could weigh the butter so I can get an idea. A level spoonful of butter is a complicated concept.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The version I read was coffee, double cream, butter and coconut oil.
I can't face the coconut oil so I have "bullet resistant" coffee which is 3 teaspoons of instant :wideyed: plus a big heaped teaspoon of butter, and I guess about 1/3 double cream.

I see some other recipes use a tablespoon of butter, and I struggle to visualise this. Perhaps a "tablespooner" could weigh the butter so I can get an idea. A level spoonful of butter is a complicated concept.

A tablespoon of butter is about 12g :)

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A tablespoon of butter is about 12g :)

So that is about 20th of a 250 gram bar?

The butter I use had 50 gram units marked on the paper so one of those chopped into 4. I must weigh my heaped teaspoon tomorrow morning for comparison.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
I make something similar with cocoa powder, coconut oil and coconut manna with erythritol for a bit of sweetness and sometimes a few drops of peppermint oil. I have a chocolate mould which divides it up for me.

But, I prefer to eat mine...:D:wideyed:

Robbity

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made the bp coffee again this morning. This time used butter, coconut oil and a large tsp thick cream. Used stick blender. Lovely drink.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve got some Yogi Tea chocolate and cinnamon teabags. Tried it as a tea last night and it was lovely. Think I’ll add some butter to a mug today and see if I can make bulletproof hippy hot chocolate!