Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Thank you for the link. I have one big problem with phlaunt and it is the background colouring to the text, I find the site extremely difficult to read. Having said that, I looked for the 5.7 info and couldn't find it. The closest was the reading for non D numbers. We cannot always expect to acheive non D numbers, especially so soon after diagnosis or at the beginning of dietary adjustment. Our aim at the beginning should be to lower our bg levels and I am not sure that setting a target for fbg of non D numbers is aiming too high. Maybe later, after we have got to grips with pre and post prandial readings.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the link. I have one big problem with phlaunt and it is the background colouring to the text, I find the site extremely difficult to read. Having said that, I looked for the 5.7 info and couldn't find it. The closest was the reading for non D numbers. We cannot always expect to acheive non D numbers, especially so soon after diagnosis or at the beginning of dietary adjustment. Our aim at the beginning should be to lower our bg levels and I am not sure that setting a target for fbg of non D numbers is aiming too high. Maybe later, after we have got to grips with pre and post prandial readings.
Nevertheless, most doctors consider any fasting blood sugar below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) as completely normal
Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

So that´s why my target is under 5.7 before meal. I want to imitate as near as possible the healthy people. But I agree that it is big target. With “no carb” meal I’ve got to that within 14 days from the start, it was no problem. The problem is to stay at this level for long period of the time - years to come.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nevertheless, most doctors consider any fasting blood sugar below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) as completely normal
Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

So that´s why my target is under 5.7 before meal. I want to imitate as near as possible the healthy people. But I agree that it is big target. With “no carb” meal I’ve got to that within 14 days from the start, it was no problem. The problem is to stay at this level for long period of the time - years to come.

I saw the 5.6. Targets should be at all times at least attainable. There are many factors in this including insulin resistance which is not routinely measured in this country and we as individuals have different levels of IR and some, who have managed their condition well, can regain some insulin sensitivity but not everyone can. There is nowt like failure to put someone off even trying to get better bg because they are under the illusion that only certain levels are deemed acceptable. Rather, a range of numbers gives a broader goal to aim for and incentivises most people. I distinctly remember getting my first 5.9 reading and punching the air and whooping with joy and I was determined to lower that level further. Had I had your target I would have been a tad disappointed on that day.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler depends on the type of character - we had that discussion with Rachox :)
I’m highly target oriented (manager of IT) and I know that the “non success” on the way will not disturb me... Just more work to be done.

But we are off topic - now you know why I had suggested the priority to be under 5.7 before meal. There is no need to solve FBG, better to point initial effort to BG level before lunch and dinner and before sleep. (my conviction).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler depends on the type of character - we had that discussion with Rachox :)
I’m highly target oriented (manager of IT) and I know that the “non success” on the way will not disturb me... Just more work to be done.

But we are off topic - now you know why I had suggested the priority to be under 5.7 before meal. There is no need to solve FBG, better to point initial effort to BG level before lunch and dinner and before sleep. (my conviction).

So the target of 5.7 is a personal one.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Before meal - yes. And I think it should be the target of all T2D people.

It is a good target. We must remember though that other factors come into play and that we are all at different stages in attaining better management of our condition so that using some of the personal targets and to a degree some of the seemingly arbitrary targets set by our health tzars may just be too high (or too low for the uninitiated). And yes, personality comes into play.

Reactions: rom35

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone is different so if someone suggests something but it doesn't work for you, don't stress over it, it is all a learning curve. If I were you, I would look into intermittent fasting, it might help clear out your liver.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before meal - yes. And I think it should be the target of all T2D people.
I dont think you realise how hard it is to get FB levels down. I am four months in and trying very hard to reduce my BG and have reduced my HBA1c to 41 but I am still getting high FB. I got my first 5 this week and thought I was there but this morning it was 7.1. I am fine with difference of less than 2 pre/post eating but FB seems to be uncontrollable

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think you realise how hard it is to get FB levels down. I am four months in and trying very hard to reduce my BG and have reduced my HBA1c to 41 but I am still getting high FB. I got my first 5 this week and thought I was there but this morning it was 7.1. I am fine with difference of less than 2 pre/post eating but FB seems to be uncontrollable
Solve for the first phase the pre-meal BG of lunch and diner. FBG last. And yes, it´s hard work I know it myself..,

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Solve for the first phase the pre-meal BG of lunch and diner. FBG last. And yes, it´s hard work I know it myself..,
What does “solve for the first phase the pre-meal BG of lunch and diner” mean. I just dont understand

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leave the fasting reading for now. Concentrate on your readings before and after meals by eating the correct meals. I would also take a reading before bed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What does “solve for the first phase the pre-meal BG of lunch and diner” mean. I just dont understand
I think he means the first things to bring down are the pre meal readings. I disagree with this btw. In my opinion the first thing to address should be the difference between pre meal and post meal readings while you learn about the foods that affect your bg as an individual.

Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guzzler said it better than I did. Don't take on too much at the beginning, it is a steep learning curve. And when you make mistakes, don't beat yourself up, just learn and move on.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry for my english. I mean that morning BG can be tricky (see down phenomenon, quality of sleep, number of sleeping hours, long time diggested dinner, and so on). Leave it for later. At first concentrate on pre meal BG level for lunch and dinner. That was my strategy - combined with limiting of carbs in one meal not to cross two points difference one hour after meal (not two hours, as is the target for others).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry for my english. I mean that morning BG can be tricky (see down phenomenon, quality of sleep, number of sleeping hours, long time diggested dinner, and so on). Leave it for later. At first concentrate on pre meal BG level for lunch and dinner. That was my strategy - combined with limiting of carbs in one meal not to cross two points difference one hour after meal (not two hours, as target for others).

Sorry, I am confused. Are you saying that people should take post prandial readings at one hour after first bite and not the (generally advised) two hours after first bite?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I am confused. Are you saying that people should take post prandial readings at one hour after first bite and not the (generally advised) two hours after first bite?

No, 2h after meal is also important, but “spike” value is by my opinion much more important. “spike” is for t2d around 1h after meal and should not go over 8. So for the first phase of fighting diabetes the best information is to measure 3x for one meal. Before, 1h and 2h. You will see the function of the carbs on you and you can fine tune the carbs in your meal. To prevent over 8 spike and to be (ideally) on the same level 2h after as you were on the start. See the picture of my BG as example. Three meals a day - spike one hour after, and my 2h after on the same level as the start - fine tuned carbs in meal.
IMG_1524348272.069587.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No, 2h after meal is also important, but “spike” value is by my opinion much more important. “spike” is for t2d around 1h after meal and should not go over 8. So for the first phase of fighting diabetes the best information is to measure 3x for one meal. Before, 1h and 2h. You will see the function of the carbs on you and you can fine tune the carbs in your meal. To prevent over 8 spike and to be (ideally) on the same level 2h after as you were on the start. See the picture of my BG as example. Three meals a day - spike one hour after, and my 2h after on the same level as the start - fine tuned carbs in meal.
View attachment 26226

Aye, I understand now. The thing is that what you are describing is fine tuning. Someone newly diagnosed has to get their heads around the basics first otherwise it can be overwhelming.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aye, I understand now. The thing is that what you are describing is fine tuning. Someone newly diagnosed has to get their heads around the basics first otherwise it can be overwhelming.

That is why my first post was to target under 5.7 before meal. To get the BG to healthy level. Standard target of 2 points difference before and 2h after is (by my meaning) a little bit missleading - you can stop with over 8 BG levels for a long time and with big “spikes” - target should be to bring it down :)