Overcoming My Fate

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 22 years old. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was only 15 months old. I never experienced life without diabetes. As one would imagine, my parents basically managed my diabetes (for the most part) until I was old enough to do it myself. However, I wasn’t wanting to except this illness. I fell into a Diabetes Burnout by the age of 11. For roughly 8 or so years I only took insulin when absolutely necessary and literally checked my blood sugar maybe 20 times in the span of those 9 years. My A1C never fell below 10% until last year when I dropped it down to 8.5%!!!! My sugars had gotten so bad that the onset of puberty for me was delayed by 4 or so years and I didn’t hit it until sophomore or junior year. My fingers are now swollen at the knuckles and crooked/bent. Growing up, I had heard my older brother and my endocrinologist (pretty sure he told me too) telling me how at the rate I was going with my sugars, I wasn’t going to live past 21 years old. Well, come April 18th of last year; I’m sitting in my dorm room at the University of Kansas and I texted my brother with genuine sincerity “You were f***ing wrong.” I made it to 21 and I’m still kicking a year later. Alongside that I’ll-fated childhood being proven wrong, I now am noticing my fingers straightening out! Only took 21 years but I did it.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m 22 years old. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was only 15 months old. I never experienced life without diabetes. As one would imagine, my parents basically managed my diabetes (for the most part) until I was old enough to do it myself. However, I wasn’t wanting to except this illness. I fell into a Diabetes Burnout by the age of 11. For roughly 8 or so years I only took insulin when absolutely necessary and literally checked my blood sugar maybe 20 times in the span of those 9 years. My A1C never fell below 10% until last year when I dropped it down to 8.5%!!!! My sugars had gotten so bad that the onset of puberty for me was delayed by 4 or so years and I didn’t hit it until sophomore or junior year. My fingers are now swollen at the knuckles and crooked/bent. Growing up, I had heard my older brother and my endocrinologist (pretty sure he told me too) telling me how at the rate I was going with my sugars, I wasn’t going to live past 21 years old. Well, come April 18th of last year; I’m sitting in my dorm room at the University of Kansas and I texted my brother with genuine sincerity “You were f***ing wrong.” I made it to 21 and I’m still kicking a year later. Alongside that I’ll-fated childhood being proven wrong, I now am noticing my fingers straightening out! Only took 21 years but I did it.

Take care of yourself buddy.
Life is very precious!

Reactions: LordReptilia

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve had a similar history of denial, ignoring and burnout, you’re doing amazingly well to have turned it around like this. Onwards and upwards, eh?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn’t agree more, man! You take care of yourself as well and may the fourth be with you!

Congratulations by the way for taking back control of your health, life and future!

For diabetics like us, control is King!

Reactions: Picci

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I'd share you some fantastic news...

The University of Bath, in collaboration with medical scientists and academics worldwide are currently developing a needle-less, non-invasive, adhesive patch.

This is certainly revolutionary and when it has passed clinical trials, WHO and UK government approval, we will have to say goodbye to painful needles forever!

Watch this space...

http://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/bloodless-revolution-in-diabetes-monitoring/

Anyway have a lovely bank holiday weekend!

Reactions: LordReptilia

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I'd share you some fantastic news...

The University of Bath, in collaboration with medical scientists and academics worldwide are currently developing a needle-less, non-invasive, adhesive patch.

This is certainly revolutionary and when it has passed clinical trials, WHO and UK government approval, we will have to say goodbye to painful needles forever!

Watch this space...

http://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/bloodless-revolution-in-diabetes-monitoring/

Anyway have a lovely bank holiday weekend!

I guess the only issue with that situation is the fact that I don’t even feel needles when I take any sort of shots hahah. Don’t think I’ve ever felt them! Except actually the device that shot the tubing of my old pump into me hahah

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess the only issue with that situation is the fact that I don’t even feel needles when I take any sort of shots hahah. Don’t think I’ve ever felt them! Except actually the device that shot the tubing of my old pump into me hahah

How often do you test daily?
Where are you based?

Andrew

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often do you test daily?
Where are you based?

Andrew

I’ve recently sort of slacked off and have only really been checking twice a day, maybe three times. You? And I’m at the University of Kansas in Lawrence! You?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve recently sort of slacked off and have only really been checking twice a day, maybe three times. You? And I’m at the University of Kansas in Lawrence! You?

I’ve completed my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in London.

I’m a semi pro tennis player and model for the top perfume companies and luxury clothing like Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Lacoste etc.

I’ve modelled for all of them.

What do you study?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test my blood daily and often.

When my HBA1C was high, I was advised by my doc to test 6-8x a day.

Now about 2-3x.

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test my blood daily and often.

When my HBA1C was high, I was advised by my doc to test 6-8x a day.

Now about 2-3x.

Oh, nice! I’m majoring in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Organismal Biology! When I finally started picking up on checking my sugar daily and doing it about 8-9 times a day, my endocrinologists nurse told me that was TOO much. It was annoying to say the least haha. How high has your A1C gotten?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, nice! I’m majoring in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Organismal Biology! When I finally started picking up on checking my sugar daily and doing it about 8-9 times a day, my endocrinologists nurse told me that was TOO much. It was annoying to say the least haha. How high has your A1C gotten?

The highest was on diagnosis with DKA at 85.

Now my A1c is 38.

You must be a very intelligent guy reading ecology!

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait what?! You MUST be using a different measuring system than I am. Oh wait. This is a European app, isn’t it?

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had a similar history of denial, ignoring and burnout, you’re doing amazingly well to have turned it around like this. Onwards and upwards, eh?

It must! I’m already at the stage of bleeding behind my eyes and loving sense of my shins and feet:/

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HBA1C chart ...

My last A1c was 38.

And yours?

Attachments

• 20112566-6087-4B6C-ACC0-AF1918DC568A.jpeg
    20112566-6087-4B6C-ACC0-AF1918DC568A.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 422

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It must! I’m already at the stage of bleeding behind my eyes and loving sense of my shins and feet:/

You can reverse the damage and potential complications by having tight control.

Take back control!!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good to see the University of Bath leading the way, I studied there in the 1990s :)