Greek yoghurt or Greek style?

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is there a difference? I think there is with taste. I had Greek yoghurt and actually enjoyed it given that I am not into yoghurt but the Greek style seems not as nice. Well to me anyway.

D

Deleted member 308541

Is there a difference? I think there is with taste. I had Greek yoghurt and actually enjoyed it given that I am not into yoghurt but the Greek style seems not as nice. Well to me anyway.
It's a region naming thing like wine, where you are not allowed to call "champagne" champagne if it's not made in France for example

So if Greek yoghurt is not made in Greece, it has to be called Greek Style.

I do not know if this correct but it seems logical to me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have to call it "Greek style" yogurt as otherwise the Greeks would object. So far no Martians have objected so they are ok calling them Mars bars.

D

Deleted member 308541

So far no Martians have objected so they are ok calling them Mars bars.

Marvin t
Mostly About Refined Sugar
167px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

No sugar mines at home Earthling.

Reactions: urbanracer

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have to call it "Greek style" yogurt as otherwise the Greeks would object. So far no Martians have objected so they are ok calling them Mars bars.

However Mars was our Roman God of War long before a planet also got that name. So the Martians dare not complain about Mars Bars being named after them, in case an Earthling God starts an outbreak of interplanetary war in a sugar induced rage.
However, @Orangeteddy - as long as you choose full fat Greek or Greek Style yoghurt, you should just go by the taste of the brand you prefer...

Robbity

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame there isn't a Cheddar-style. Some rubbery plastic things masquerading as Cheddar would certainly start an intergalactic war with the Cheese Keepers of The Moon, Gromit. As long as the stove has finished his skiing.

I'd wondered about the Greek/Greek-style difference, @Orangeteddy. Just pick your favourite, as @Robbity suggests. The Lidl one is nice.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m pretty sure “Greek style” has thickeners like gelatin etc and something to do with being strained. Check the ingredients- I don’t think it’s just a region of production thing. “Although both variations start out the same, Greek yoghurt goes through a straining process that gets rid of excess watery-whey to leave behind a thicker, more nutrient-rich version, while greek-style yoghurt is thickened with added milk powders to replicate the texture of the real thing — without the nutritional value ...”

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the supermarkets (Sainsbury's?) does Greek yoghurt from Greece. The others are called Greek-style.

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
The best Greek yoghurt is the one you make at home, in your kitchen, from real fresh mik, which comes from a real happy cow, which eats real grass in a real field under the shining sun with a sweet breeze.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best Greek yoghurt is the one you make at home, in your kitchen, from real fresh mik, which comes from a real happy cow, which eats real grass in a real field under the shining sun with a sweet breeze.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pretty sure “Greek style” has thickeners like gelatin etc and something to do with being strained. Check the ingredients- I don’t think it’s just a region of production thing. “Although both variations start out the same, Greek yoghurt goes through a straining process that gets rid of excess watery-whey to leave behind a thicker, more nutrient-rich version, while greek-style yoghurt is thickened with added milk powders to replicate the texture of the real thing — without the nutritional value ...”
Lidl Greek-style yoghurt ingredients: yoghurt, 13% cream. That's it. So it does have an added ingredient but it's not gelatin or milk powders. M&S Greek-style yoghurt ingredients: milk; same with the Sainsburys one. These are all full-fat so is it the 0% ones that have gelatin and/or milk powders?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be the best "Greek Style" yogurt unless your home is in Greece.

Reactions: dbr10 and luv2spin

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha good point - I only very quickly googled it as I was sure it was not only the regional thing- but you made a good point. I have Lidl full fat every morning- it’s delicious.

Reactions: dbr10

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for comparison one Greek and one Greek style (taken from Ocado web site):

Greek (Fage)

Ingredients
Pasteurised Milk, Cream (Milk)
Live Active Yoghurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)
Nutritional Data
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 403 kJ (96 kcal)
Fat 5.0 g
of which saturates 3.6 g
Carbohydrate 3.8 g
of which sugars 3.8 g
Protein 9.0 g
Calcium 121 mg

Greek Style (Yeo Valley)

Ingredients
Milk
No added ingredients,
No Added Sugar
Contains the following live cultures: Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, Streptococcus Thermophilus
Nutritional Data
Typical Values Per 100g
Energy 537kJ/129kcal
Fat 9.7g
of which saturates 6.3g
Carbohydrate 5.3g
of which sugars 5.3g
Protein 5.0g
Salt* 0.14g
Calcium 147mg

I'd definitely agree with @Sue192, it's generally the reduced fat youghurts (Greek or otherwise) that are liable to have added ingredients to compensate for the reduction in fats - I remember years ago when the first low fat ones came on the market - probably before manufacturers cottoned on to the ideas that they needed to add other "stuff" to try & reproduce the original texture), these tasted just like chalky water - it put me off low fat versions of anything for life! :eek:

Robbity

Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is there are no rules about what can be called a Greek yoghurt and they vary greatly in nutritional composition. Proper Greek yoghurt is made by straining out the whey (the liquid from the milk curdling) so the end result is thicker and with less sugar. Many, but not all, Greek style yoghurts have added thickeners such as corn starch and gum to create that Greek effect. Reading the ingredients is the only way to check what is in the them and the better all natural yoghurts will have higher protein content like Fage.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Think you are right as I bought Greek yoghurt style a few weeks ago and the sugar and carbs were higher than Greek yoghurt..I like the total full fat greek yoghurt

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10