Vitamin D supplements

AngF

Hi I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 and have been reading about the importance of vitamin D so I’m thinking of taking a supplement. Has anyone got any advise on dosage, brand, benefits etc?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 and have been reading about the importance of vitamin D so I’m thinking of taking a supplement. Has anyone got any advise on dosage, brand, benefits etc?

I would read up on D2 v D3 (the 3 is more expensive but also more effective).

And I urge you to take Vit K2 at the same time. Have a google and you will see why. That is K2 not K1.

Hope taking D has as many benefits for you as it did for me. :)

Reactions: AngF and kitedoc

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a high strength cod liver oil with vitamin D capsule every day

Reactions: AngF

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here are some good reads :
http://www.doctoryourself.com/dvitamin.htm
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2010/...w-to-know-if-you-are-taking-the-right-amount/ (useful chart here on disease incidence and D deficiency.)
https://jefftbowles.com/vitamin-d3-deficiency-causes-most-human-diseases/

and for further reading on how D3 and K2 work synergistically :
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=vitamin+d+and+k2&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I would do a search for D3 tablets that are either 1,000 i.u. or 5,000 i.u. Far cheaper than tablets that are only 250 i.u.
I get mine here https://peaksupps.co.uk/products/vitamin-d3-tablets-5000iu?variant=7540324925503
Geoff

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take one 1000 IU (recommended dose) D3 capsule daily during winter months, with a Vitamin K2 (200ug) tablet.
The K2 helps the Vitamin D3 to be absorbed.

Reactions: AngF

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One big reason for current low levels of vitamin D (not actually a vitamin but a hormone) is that sun exposure was demonised, and sun screen/block was recommended. People who cover up routinely, or apply liberally factor 30, are putting themselves at risk from D deficiency.
It wouldn't surprise me if Big Pharma was involved :(
Geoff

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Of you have high serum calcium levels you are advised not to take vit D
Carol
Vit D can cause calcium levels to rise, but the solution is to take it with K2, which channels calcium into the bones, where it's meant to be, rather than into joints, arteries etc.
Geoff

Reactions: Prem51 and AngF

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I buy Vitamin D3/K2 spray from Betteryou. The absorption rate is faster and more efficient through the mucosal membranes of the mouth than through the gut epithelium. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in the same month as the Type 2 bombshell. Having changed my diet and my lifestyle not only is the Type 2 in remission but my hip joints are now normal and my spine is in the osteopenic range. Result all round!!!

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Surely you should check if you are deficient first? A blood test?

I'm deficient always and have been prescribed tablets.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely you should check if you are deficient first? A blood test?

I'm deficient always and have been prescribed tablets.

My doc refused to run the test for me (around 3 years ago), he said vit D deficiency was just the latest fad.
So I paid £28 for it privately - and was most definitely deficient.
And judging by the symptoms that disappeared once I was supplementing, i had been deficient for years.

Curiously, i have since changed doc ;) and had a conversation with my new practice nurse (last year). She was delighted to hear I was supplementing, and said that the majority of UK residents are deficient in D and K2, and that no one should ever take D without K2. She supports supplementing with a maintenance dose, all year around, self funded, since giving people Vit D on the NHS is a massive financial drain because of the huge numbers who need it.

SimonCrox

As above, there is a lack of sunlight in UK so we all tend to be vitamin D deficient. I have never used sunscreens etc and now at 61 I have three sets of solar keratoses (oops) and a Vit D level of 15 (target > 60).
According to the National osteoporosis Society Guidelines (which are just guidelines), no one has ever developed high calcium levels due to taking vitamin D up to 3,200 units per day.
So, I tell my valued family members to not bother with the vitamin D or calcium level blood tests, but to just take the vitamin.
Standard dose is 800 to 1,000 units vitamin D3, cholecalciferol per day. Vitamin D2, ergocalciferol does not produce benefit in trials, but D3 does. I would alsways go for a daily dose - less frequent big doses seem to worsen things rather than improve things. I always take the D3 in a capsule cos it is a fat soluble vitamin - the oil in the capsule is often sunflower oil. I have no idea of the equivalent dose of Cod Liver Oil
The other catch, is that if GPs find someone is Vit D deficient, they load them up and that's it - one does need to maintain the vitamin D supplementation or move to a sunny climate (except even in Australia, folk can be Vit D deficient)
Sometimes in older folk, giving vitamin D with calcium leads to high calcium levels, but the feeling is that they have overactive parathyroid glands trying to raise the calcium level, but not suceeding due to low calcium intake and vitamin D levels impeding the effect of the parathyroid hormone - so it is not primarily due to the Vit D / calcium supplementation
Best wishes

Reactions: Prem51 and AngF

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take fultium vitamin D3. You can order it from Boots

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
My doc refused to run the test for me (around 3 years ago), he said vit D deficiency was just the latest fad.
So I paid £28 for it privately - and was most definitely deficient.
And judging by the symptoms that disappeared once I was supplementing, i had been deficient for years.

Curiously, i have since changed doc ;) and had a conversation with my new practice nurse (last year). She was delighted to hear I was supplementing, and said that the majority of UK residents are deficient in D and K2, and that no one should ever take D without K2. She supports supplementing with a maintenance dose, all year around, self funded, since giving people Vit D on the NHS is a massive financial drain because of the huge numbers who need it.

Should still be tested. My consultant said we need different doses. You cannot always decide on the correct dose. For me an off the shelf Vit d supplement would be useless.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

torchman2

There is plenty of evidence that Vitamin D supplementation to get up to healthy levels (around 50ng/dl) will improve insulin sensitivity and glucose control. To get to around 50, from low levels of 20 or less, you may need 5-10,000iu a day. Check through cheap blood tests.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is plenty of evidence that Vitamin D supplementation to get up to healthy levels (around 50ng/dl) will improve insulin sensitivity and glucose control. To get to around 50, from low levels of 20 or less, you may need 5-10,000iu a day. Check through cheap blood tests.

There’s a lot of different advice out there on dosage, and what is sufficient/excessive.
Could you please give a reference for that statement, so that people can make up their own minds about your advice.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first had a blood test in 2009 my serum calcium levels were high and I had a parathyroid test which came back normal ,finally after 2 24 hour urine tests and calcium blood tests every 3months I was diagnosed with famiial hyper calcium something calcium something else !!! or words to that effect !! I don't take vit D supplements but I do take K2 and my calcium serum levels have not come down
Carol

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first had a blood test in 2009 my serum calcium levels were high and I had a parathyroid test which came back normal ,finally after 2 24 hour urine tests and calcium blood tests every 3months I was diagnosed with famiial hyper calcium something calcium something else !!! or words to that effect !! I don't take vit D supplements but I do take K2 and my calcium serum levels have not come down
Carol
Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia ?
"Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia (FHH) is an inherited disorder that causes abnormally high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia) and low to moderate levels of calcium in urine (hypocalciuric)."
Geoff