Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi im type 1 diabetic, i had my hba1c results back today and it wasnt good im 9.3%. I am completely out of control with my blood sugars and nothing is working to fetch them down. Im constantly tired i sleep upto 16 hours a day i even miss college some days because i dont have the energy to get up. I have background on my eyes when i got tested in august. Im really struggling i dont know how to rectify it or what to do. Can anyone recommend anything

mike05

Type of diabetes
MODY
Hi im type 1 diabetic, i had my hba1c results back today and it wasnt good im 9.3%. I am completely out of control with my blood sugars and nothing is working to fetch them down. Im constantly tired i sleep upto 16 hours a day i even miss college some days because i dont have the energy to get up. I have background on my eyes when i got tested in august. Im really struggling i dont know how to rectify it or what to do. Can anyone recommend anything
Hi, I suggest you read Dr. Bernstein's book. That will change your life, I am not kidding. You can also watch his videos on youtube. You cannot just stay like that. They key thing is to change the way you eat. I cannot stress enough how important it is.
Best of luck

Reactions: Joannacarter0018
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I suggest you read Dr. Bernstein's book. That will change your life, I am not kidding. You can also watch his videos on youtube. You cannot just stay like that. They key thing is to change the way you eat. I cannot stress enough how important it is.
Best of luck
Thankyou :)

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
5F8B063D-A755-4659-B7E7-37311D113DC4.gif

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Joannacarter0018 , from experience as a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion: Your HBA1C tells you what you already know.
You need to see a DSN or doctor who understands diabetes well and can work with you to find out what is happening NOW.
Tiredness might be due to diabetes and the consequences of high BSLs on your body's functioning and the loss of sugar and other things through your urine. Diabetes can be associated with other physical and mental health conditions causing tiredness and your HCPs need to check those possibilities out. You need a plan for how to manage extra high BSLs safely and well.
Please do not delay in getting visits done, no matter how tired you are, only getting things sorted is going to really help.
Get help from parents, relatives, friends to transport you if need be and to help you stay afloat NOW>>>

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the help of libre/blucon xdrip+ smartwatch I have been able to bring hba1c down to a good level.
Oct 2018, 57 or 7.4 in old money.
I'm trying but it is hard work.
"Under a third (29%) of people with Type 1 diabetes are achieving the recommended HbA1c target of 58 mmol/mol (7.5%) or less."
My hard work is paying off.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My last test was very bad i was 6.5
Hi @Bassiette, from my own experience as a diabetic and not as professional advice or opinion: 'very bad' is something that you have been told by someone else, yeah? Usually it is from your health care provider or another place.
Whilst there is research which says that the better your diabetes figures are in the first 7 to 10 years of starting on insulin as a T1D the less risk of diabetes complications later on (care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/1/9 - Nathan 2014) there is also research which reports that cardio-vascular events (heart attacks, strokes etc) are more likely for diabetics (there were more T2Ds than T1Ds in the study) with HBA1Cs greater than 8 % or less than 6%. (bmjopen.bmj.com 'Glycated haemoglobin as a risk factor in cardio-vascular mortality snd all-cause mortality in diabetic and non-diabetic populations: a critical review and meta-analysis" Cavero-Redondo et al 2017 Vol 7 Issue 7). Why HBA1C between 6 and 8 % for diabetics? No-one is sure.
There has also been debate about the effect of diabetes medication on heart health, at least in T2Ds www.nbci.nli.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5350060.
The age of onset of T1D also has an influence on cardio-vascular disease in T1Ds (www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PSIISO140-6736(18)31506-X/fulltext)
I know that the above is very confusing and now that continuous glucose monitoring is more available and can be used in research more now we might see some change in what is regarded as an 'all right" HBA1C.
Just my guess, but ask your DSN and doctor what is the best range of HBA1C for you.
Bets Wishes :):):)

jacko1970s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Theses are mine to date
So to date all results with update for latest
Hi so had my 3rd hba1c
March 15th diagnosed hba1c of 95 weight 102.8 16st 2
HBA1C 95
Cholesterol
Total 7.5
HDL 1.0
Non HDL 6.5
Trigs 7.5 no ldl due to this reading

June 18th 87kg 13st 7
Hba1c 44
Cholesterol
Total 7.7
Ldl 5.7
HDL 1.3
Trigs 1.5
Stopped taking statins and metformin

August’s 18th 3stone weight loss to here now 82kg 12st 8
Hba1c 33
Cholesterol fasting
Total 8.2
Ldl 5.9
HDL 1.8
Trigs 1.1

December 5th 2018
Steady weight 83kg 12st 10
Hba1c 31
Cholesterol fasting
Total 6.8
LDL. 4.3
Hdl. 2.0
Trigs. 1.0

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
20 Jan 2017: 68 mmol/mol (8.4%) - historically, a typical result for me.
26 Jan 2018: 57 mmol/mol (7.4%) - with strict carb counting and discipline.
29 Aug 2018: 51 mmol/mol (6.8%) - after six months on keto.
2 Jan 2019: 46 mmol/mol (6.4%) - after ten months on keto.

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest is 46 mmol/mol or 6.4% on January 15, 2019

It's been about the same for over a year now, and try as I might, I can't get it closer to or under 6%.
October 2017: 6.5%
April 2018: 6.5%
August 2018: 6.5%

Reactions: Robinredbreast