Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This weekend I listened to Ivor Cummins, The Fat Emperor, interview Tucker Goodrich on how omega-6 rich “vegetable oils” also known as “industrial seed oils” – (soybean, safflower, sunflower, corn, cottonseed, rapeseed (canola), peanut) – are ruining our health. Note: There’s a link to the transcript in the notes below the video.

All I can say is wow. Listened to it three times on my phone while walking this weekend. I already knew these oils were damaging, but was shocked to learn how many health problems are associated with them: asthma, autoimmune disease, depression, anxiety, cognitive decline, dementia, diabetes, obesity, fatty liver disease, cardiovascular disease, IBS, IBD, inflammation, infertility, macular degeneration, and osteoarthritis.

During the first half hour, Tucker describes how he restored his health after experiencing years of diarrhea, an undiagnosed gluten intolerance, diverticular disease, and a stroke in his late 30’s. He’d heard that industrial seed oils were bad for our health. After having part of his colon removed, he wanted to understand why.

In this interview, he overviews the recent introduction of the first seed oil, cottonseed oil, into the American diet in the late 1800’s, the introduction of the seed oils that followed beginning in the early 1900’s, and a comprehensive review of research findings to date on industrial seed oils. I hope you’ll be able to find the time to listen. Afterward, I encourage you to share these important links with your family and friends. We need to get the word out.

“Sinning with Seed Oils: Are Vegetable Oils Healthy?” Ivor Cummins interviews Tucker Goodrich, 3-19-19

In this article, Chris Kresser specifically discusses the role seed oils play in the above listed health problems, then shares steps you can take to avoid them and the six oils you should be cooking with.

“How Industrial Seed Oils Are Making Us Sick” by Chris Kresser, 3-8-19 https://chriskresser.com/how-industrial-seed-oils-are-making-us-sick/

After listening to interviews, I always read the comment section. There I gleaned a link to this 2019 article. I was shocked. These researchers found that 88% of American adults are metabolically unhealthy. Only 36.7% of men and 48.6% of women have a fasting glucose below 100 mg/dl and an HbA1c less than 5.7% - (this is the low range for pre-diabetes in the US). We’ve got to turn this around…

“Prevalence of Optimal Metabolic Health in American Adults”, 2-8-19 https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/met.2018.0105

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, forgot to add this. After the uploading the video, Ivor added this statement - (it's located below the video):

"Note to everyone - whole foods with Omega 6 Linoleic are not a problem - the key is to avoid industrial seed oils ! Also cold-pressed Olive, Coconut, Avocado and Beef Tallow etc. are minimally processed and not in the firing line :) In terms of cold-pressed oils high in Omega 6, I would use others in preference - simple choice."

Reactions: Guzzler

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Ivor Cummin's is great, love his podcasts.

Only oils I cook with are coconut, ghee and butter.

I do use olive oil on salads and sardines.

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted member 308541

I use a non stick fry pan to cook omelettes with, on a another non stick fry pan I use canola spray as all of the teflon coating has worn off.

That movie is bit long to watch, better drama on Netflix.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tipetoo, after replacing non-stick pans over and over again, I switched to high quality stainless steel pans (All-Clad) and use butter or water for low heat cooking, sometimes adding EEOV to the sauted vegetables immediately after turning off the heat. For higher heat cooking, I use butter or avocado oil. For meats, I don't use any oil or fat. Haven't replaced a pan since. And no more worry about overheating and damaging the pan's coating, or ingesting it.

The presentation is long, agreed. That's why I listened to it on my walk. I also listen to lectures while cooking. Beginning at about 35 minutes, he digs into the science. He covered a lot of material. And all of it was important.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ivor Cummin's is great, love his podcasts.

Only oils I cook with are coconut, ghee and butter.

I do use olive oil on salads and sardines.

I smoked cigarettes between age 10 and 30, and my blood glucose dysregulation began in my early 20's. I have so much anxiety around heart disease. Following Ivor Cummins' work has been both reassuring and encouraging. I've come to terms with the possibility of having a heart attack, but if I go down, I'll know that I did everything I could to prevent it. Hoping to get a baseline Coronary Arterial Calcification score this year so I can begin tracking whether or not everything I've been doing for the last 4 years has stopped or at least slowed the progression of the plaque growth. I eat a very healthy diet, am managing my stress, and am walking again. I eliminated all sources of the Omega-6 oils years ago.

I want to start eating sardines once a week. How do you eat them? I remember eating them between bread as a child. They were very tasty!

D

Deleted member 308541

Tipetoo, after replacing non-stick pans over and over again, I switched to high quality stainless steel pans (All-Clad) and use butter or water for low heat cooking, sometimes adding EEOV to the sauted vegetables immediately after turning off the heat. For higher heat cooking, I use butter or avocado oil. For meats, I don't use any oil or fat. Haven't replaced a pan since. And no more worry about overheating and damaging the pan's coating, or ingesting it.
We use mostly aluminium and some stainless steel pots and pans, and the two fry pans.

M

Member496333

I believe seed oils are probably the greatest threat to human health, and if LCHF eating ever becomes acceptable in the mainstream, you can bet that their use will become even more prevalent in the ‘fat’ content of processed foods than it is now. In my view this is a real danger. There are already ‘high fat’ studies in animals that have used these lubricants as food as if in some way to test the possible effects of ketogenic eating.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to start eating sardines once a week. How do you eat them? I remember eating them between bread as a child. They were very tasty!
My wife eats them (tinned) heated with rice. I used to eat them on toast but obviously not now unless it is on low carb type bread.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So where does that put flax seed (oils)? I think I said before, we used flax seed to oil cricket bats in the past. Why would flax seed oil enjoy dispensation here compared to the others listed above?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I use them in a meal, so instead of chicken for example, I'll use sardines as the main protein meat. I do like to put olive oil over them and some pepper, pinch of salt. And simply add whatever veggies you normally would. You can warm them up or eat them cold.

It's nothing fancy!

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At over two hours this podcast is a long one but it is well worth a listen, I've done so three times.
Wrt general health in the US it is my opinion that they have a double whammy, industrially produced seed oils and HFCS. Both of these man made 'foodstuffs' are in roughly 80% of foods in store.

M

Member496333

I love the longer podcasts from Ivor and his peers. I listen to them when out walking using my in-ear Bluetooth headphones. Brilliant way to keep learning even more about all this stuff without setting aside too much dedicated time :D

Reactions: jjraak

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do people think about using lard?
I would be very happy to use it if I had some clue as to sourcing. I am a bit fussy about meat and like to know exactly where it comes from and how it's raised to the point where I only really buy locally raised animals and have deliberately been to the farms to satisfy myself.
My butcher is very good and also has a close relationship with the farms rather than using a wholesaler. I suppose I should ask him really, but in principal at least lard is OK?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would be very happy to use it if I had some clue as to sourcing. I am a bit fussy about meat and like to know exactly where it comes from and how it's raised to the point where I only really buy locally raised animals and have deliberately been to the farms to satisfy myself.
My butcher is very good and also has a close relationship with the farms rather than using a wholesaler. I suppose I should ask him really, but in principal at least lard is OK?

I use lard and tallow though I prefer duck/goose fat. We have lost our local village butcher so needs must when the devil drives so I buy the supermarket stuff.

M

Member496333

Crack on. Lard is awesome. Personally I use duck fat and butter for cooking. Sometimes olive oil but not usually for high heats. The problem with olive oil is that you never really know the purity, and apparently it’s often cut with nasty seed oils. I use organic coconut oil in spicy Asian style cooking and also sometimes just spoon some in my gob if I’m feeling greedy :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask which olive oils in the supermarket are best...if you read the back of them they seem to be all blended??

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So many excellent comments and questions. Wish I didn't have such a packed day followed by a meeting tonight.

Tipetoo, need to Google this, but not sure about the pans you're using. Will get back to you. Here in the US we have thrift stores where we can buy used items. I can't begin to tell you how many stainless steel pans I've picked up there for $3 to $20, most for $5 or less. It's a hit or miss process but is a lot of fun. One time I found a 12" All-Clad fry pan, obviously a wedding gift that the couple must not have wanted. I use it all the time. Can't remember, but I think it sells for $200+ new.

As for sardines, I'm going to make that my next new food to try. Appreciate learning how you all eat them. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Tipetoo, need to Google this, but not sure about the pans you're using. Will get back to you. Here in the US we have thrift stores where we can buy used items.
We are now in our 70's and our pot / pan buying days passed nearly thirty years ago, what we have now will see us out.

We have been using canola spray for many years and it has not killed us yet. :D