Diabetics R Us

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm all for the roly poly if someone would help me up afterwards and lead me to a reviving glass of fine red wine
Carol

Reactions: Antje77

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got the wine ( Cabernet Sauvignon) lets forget the roly poly for now :angelic:
Carol

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Was my friends funeral yesterday.

It involved tears and laughter, sadness and joy.

He had even written his own eulogy to be read out It was quite long and in places very funny.

The church was packed.

In the evening it was family down to the pub and I and Judith got a little sozzled

So all in all it turned out to be one of the saddest days of my life but also one of the most memorable and greatest days days of my life.

:bigtears: :joyful:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha, I'm going to meet a real diabetic!
Yes, I know you're all real as well, but it's not the same as seeing, touching, smelling etc.

In a Dutch diabetes fb group I asked what a hospital DSN actually does, besides tickling feet and measuring bp and weight. I'm to have my first appointment with one in november and noticed they planned a whole hour, so I wondered what would be going on and if I needed to take a pim pam pet game or such for the other 50 minutes. I don't know what pim pam pet is in English but it looks like this and has cards with questions and you have to shout an answer with the right letter quicker than your opponent.
250px-Pimpampetspel.jpg

The best reaction was from someone who said that if all was going well and I didn't have a lot of questions the pim pam pet might come in handy. My own game is some 40 years old and has a lot of questions on the back of the cards that have been added over the years so I proposed I'd add some more questions like "hypo food', 'what's in a diabetic's bag', 'what do you eat when you forgot your insulin', 'what's that on your arm' and 'diabetes misconceptions'.

And someone reacted she'd like to come over to pim pam pet if I lived anywhere near. Turned out I do so she'll be visiting the 25th :)
She visited last thursday (postponed a week because of the heat) and I completely forgot to give you an update, my apologies!
I did tell about the visit in the T1 stars thread, so I'll shamelessly copy/paste here:

Had some strange adventures again today. First some panic cleaning for a visitor, then the visitor herself. Who was a T1 who jokingly said she'd love to play pim pam pet with me in a diabetic's facebook group, so she came over. Was fun, and I now have seen an insulin pump :)
I made some chocolate truffles yesterday to go with the tea. I wasn't sure what kind of diet, if any, she followed, so I thought it would be nice to come up with some low carb treats (truffles less than 1 gram of carbs a piece).
As a result, instead of pim pam petting we made an emergency visit to the vet, as the plate with 6 chocolate truffles was suddenly empty after I showed her the rabbits, chickens and guinea pigs in the garden.
We had a suspect: Panda, the sleepover dog (only 6 kilo's, so 6 truffles is quite a lot of cocoa), as the truffles were in a pretty hard to reach place and Panda is the only one of the 5 dogs I've ever seen nicking food from that particular place. I can tell you you'd be feeling pretty stupid too, sitting in the vets yard and waiting for your dog to puke after an injection to make him do so. You'd feel even more stupid when you realise you are cheering because, indeed, there's a lot of chocolate in the puke so you've got the right dog!

Well, after this interesting vet visit with this woman I'd never met before we went to see the sea and let the dogs (at least the 4 not nauseous ones) have a good time. I threw the ball in the water for my old dog, forgetting he was old and his hind legs have gotten weak. So he made it through the mud to the water to fetch the ball, but got stuck on his way back. The thick black mud was hip deep for me when I had to help him get out so I must have made a pretty sight.

Then, by now walking barefoot in my underpants and still with this nice woman I'd only met, we encountered a young gull which couldn't fly. So I caught it and we went back to my place with 5 muddy dogs, a seagull, and me being black from mud halfway up. Good thing we took my car, and not hers :p

Thankfully, she took the gull with her, as the bird sanctuary was on her way.

I had a plan involving dogs and a shower upon getting home, but things didn't follow plans so now I have mud in my bed, on the couch, a wet muddy kitchen, hallway, bathroom, living room and everything smells of sea and mud.

I'm still trying to get my old dog warmed after his shower 6 hours ago, and trying to get on terms with him being old and not himself anymore as his brain isn't the same as in the old days. It hurts.

The adventures were great fun though, except for the vet. But that was funny too in a way.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And as this was a couple of days ago, old dog has gotten warm again, buteverything still smells of sea-mud!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good night everyone. Go to bed with a smile.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodnight, @Guzzler and everyone.

It's interesting that while @Antje77 's name appears in green on my screen, @JohnEGreen 's appears in red instead.

And now ... to do laundry or not to do laundry? That is the question.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodnight, @Guzzler and everyone.

It's interesting that while @Antje77 's name appears in green on my screen, @JohnEGreen 's appears in red instead.

And now ... to do laundry or not to do laundry? That is the question.

Does my name appear in green when you tag me or just my profile box beside a post? I see all tags in red but I know about the profile box, green is the VIP color for moderators!
'Normal' members (even the funny ones) get red. Retired moderators get a noble blue, as you will see when @Jaylee reacts to my prompting to show off his color.
Jaylee, do you know if there are any more colours?

edit: I'd leave the laundry for tommorow!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup nothing special about me though I was once nominated for moderator but didn't get the votes which goes to show there are a lot of sensible people on this forum.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup nothing special about me though I was once nominated for moderator but didn't get the votes which goes to show there are a lot of sensible people on this forum.
On the other hand, I did get the votes, not sure what that says about the people on this forum...

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hard choice between friendly and optimistic. Went for friendly, as I know you as one of the friendliest people on the forum :)
(Or possibly just wise enough to not say anything if you can't say something friendly of course! It's a skill I work on hard to master!)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At the family gathering yesterday for my friend/brother's funeral his brother in law had made the trip up from Plymouth.
He was diagnosed with ALS a few years ago. but recently has been told by the hospital in Plymouth sorry but we misdiagnosed you and are now uncertain what you have further tests required.:banghead:

The thing is he has been treated with Prednisolone like me and is the first person I've met who has exactly the same problem with the bruising and bleeding on his arms his arms and mine are exactly the same so that confirms to me that preds are the cause.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
(Or possibly just wise enough to not say anything if you can't say something friendly of course! It's a skill I work on hard to master!)

Thank you @Antje77 I do believe if you can't say anything nice or in a pleasant manner it is often best to keep your silence.

I think your hard work has paid off.

Reactions: Salvia and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does my name appear in green when you tag me or just my profile box beside a post? I see all tags in red but I know about the profile box, green is the VIP color for moderators!
'Normal' members (even the funny ones) get red. Retired moderators get a noble blue, as you will see when @Jaylee reacts to my prompting to show off his color.
Jaylee, do you know if there are any more colours?

edit: I'd leave the laundry for tommorow!

Your name appears red when I tag you, otherwise it is green.

The KittenCat agrees with you about the laundry.

Hi, @Jaylee , don't be blue.