Flying with pump

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to spain for a few days and it's my first time flying with the pump. My dsn isn't a great help. Once I managed to get a phone call with her I was only advised to take it off at security and not not put it through the scanner. She also said I wouldn't need a letter as they are well used to pumps now but I'm going to ask my gp for one anyway.

I remember at pump training we were told to disconnect at take off and landing but my dsn said this isn't necessary.

I'm very anxious as it is and tbh I don't feel fully satisfied with her information.

I'm going to approach security and explain the pump cant go through the machines. I will have my letter from gp.

I will suspend and disconnect at take off and landing.

I will take extra set changes, my back up insulin pens and info re insurance etc. I have a frio pouch and their is a fridge at the room.

Is there anything else I need to know?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @sjm1308.....Your Dr will charge you for a letter. Your DSN should write you a letter any way and not charge you! Give them another call and ask again for a letter.
No need to disconnect on take off or landing. Keep and eye on your BGs during the flight and also keep an eye out for air bubbles in your lines!
When you get to the airport go to the information desk and ask for a "hidden disabilities lanyard". You will fly through customs, no queuing at all, and have priority boarding on the plane. I only found that out last year.
Forgot to say, customs are fully aware of the insulin pump and you will have a "wand" search

ALSO....have an amazing time

Reactions: sjm1308 and Muneeb

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sjm1308.....Your Dr will charge you for a letter. Your DSN should write you a letter any way and not charge you! Give them another call and ask again for a letter.
No need to disconnect on take off or landing. Keep and eye on your BGs during the flight and also keep an eye out for air bubbles in your lines!
When you get to the airport go to the information desk and ask for a "hidden disabilities lanyard". You will fly through customs, no queuing at all, and have priority boarding on the plane. I only found that out last year.
Forgot to say, customs are fully aware of the insulin pump and you will have a "wand" search

ALSO....have an amazing time

I got my letter from the GP, although it was a few years ago now. I was never charged for it.

Although I don't use a pump I've never been asked for any proof for the medication I carry.

Reactions: sjm1308

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh could you take me as well? Your consultant should be able to provide you a letter as well. I know during DAFNE, dsn who is also a pump nurse, said pump users should never disconnect their pump and you should tell security that you cannot go through the metal detectors, xrays or the scanners. I’m not too sure about pumps on planes but I know you’ll need to adjust the times on your pump. I’ll again emphasis you can get an invisible disabilities lanyard to skip the queues. Have a nice trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm1308 and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I got my letter from the GP, although it was a few years ago now. I was never charged for it.

Although I don't use a pump I've never been asked for any proof for the medication I carry.

I have been asked once and that was coming through Egypt. Luckily I had my letter off my DSN. Customs were not at all happy that I was taking needles on to the plane!

Helen46

I travelled a lot with my pump. You need a detailed letter listing all the diabetic related stuff with you. Take the pump off and refuse to have it scanned...they will usually direct you to an individual with more authority and you can talk to them. Walk through scanners are OK. Diabetics with pumps are now fairly common and you ought not have too much of a problem. I have been asked to hand the container with my stuff (I usually took any conceivable item needed for three weeks) to cabin staff by ground staff but when on board the plane the cabin staff asked how often I would need it and when I told them whenever I ate they told me to keep it (10 hour flight= two meals + two snacks!). If you prerequest diabetic meals it also confirms your status. Two "bad" things happened to me: one at Singapore Airport I was asked to disassemble the pump: take the battery and reservoir out so they could "wand" it and see if there were drugs inside. I did this (reluctantly) but then reassembled it while they, and everybody behind me waited, and another time a person sitting next to me in the plane kept tugging at my tubing. Unfortunately she did not speak English so it was also wrought with translation issues. After that I always booked an aisle seat and had my tubing on the aisle side but then you have to watch out for the trolley!

Some seem to think that the pressure in the aircraft has an effect on the pressure in your pump and this can interfere with the insulin delivery. I did not ever have a problem but I know someone who thinks this occurs at take off and landing and he suspends his pump during these events. Have a great time.

Reactions: sjm1308 and porl69

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A couple of years ago I read a thing online about flying with an insulin pump, and how in some people, the pressure change caused too much insulin to be administered when the plane was descending, causing hypos by the time you had collected your luggage, and realised this happens to me, so I disconnect before the descent starts. You can find a few things about it on google, but whether you find it happens to you or not, just make sure you have some hypo treatment readily available.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@sjm1308
as mentioned above -- go to the disability check in area in the terminal ( where the wheelchairs are congregated ) and ask for a sunflower lanyard -- they should just give you one no questions asked

wearing this identifies you as a person travelling with an invisible illness
it gets you automatically put to the fast track security lane and the security staff should be much more compassionate in how they treat you .

when going through security I always take my spare insulin out of the frio pouch and put it in their plastic bag -- I once got sent for additional checks when I left it in the frio pouch

as for the holiday -- make sure to take extra sweets and I always take a slow carb snack as well -- as sometimes some hypos need the slow follow up -- a pack of digestive biscuits does the trick for me

Reactions: smc4761 and sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is fantastic info..thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. The only think worrying me now is if I'll have my gp letter in time. I was told it was not a priority so will be handled as such and that I'll have to pay. Eeeek. I tried my dsn for the letter but she hasn't returned my calls or emails. Anyway the hol will be a welcome break. Thanks again all!

Helen46

I'm not in Britain so do not know how that works but flying further afield than the EU I was asked at almost every departure procedure to show my letter. Keep the letter as I used the same letter for years and only requested an update when I got the CGM. It is also useful if anything happens and you need to be seen by a doctor overseas. Mine was very comprehensive...even listed Alco-wipes!

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I've flown all over the world and never been asked for a letter - I guess maybe over 100 times in non UK airports, Africa, Asia, Middle East, America's. Its not the case that a letter is needed, but maybe it depends on how you treat the security staff too ;-)

BUT you do not want to be caught without a letter off your GP/DSN. Just as easy to be carrying a letter JUST IN CASE

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
If you read the whole post this was about the original poster maybe not having a letter in time to travel to Spain. At no time did I say don't carry a letter, I said I'd never been asked so probably no need for her to worry. :)

I HAVE read the whole post!!!!
She would be ok to take her prescription with her as well/instead of a letter. A letter and or prescription would also assist IF she gets in any trouble while on holiday as well.....you can never be to careful

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@porl69 is right. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I’ve never been asked for mine either, but you never know, especially as we (sadly) leave the EU.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been asked twice for my letter, both times in Europe. The first time I was asked, I pointed to my hand luggage just coming out the other side of X-Ray and said it's in that bag. The security woman shrugged her shoulders and sent me on my way. The second time (in the UK), after I said I couldn't take my pump through the body scanner, and being told I would have to wait for the supervisor, I was taken away for a "personal search". In the private room the supervisor asked if I had a letter but when I said it was in my hand luggage which my husband now had, she didn't ask to see it.

I will add that the so-called private search sounded very scary, as I had to sign a form agreeing to remove any clothing where necessary, or to help the search in other ways "for example by lifting up a breast". In fact, nothing was done in that private room that hadn't been done in the normal security area in previous years.

Reactions: porl69

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been asked to produce a letter once while flying with insulin pens. All I had was the prescription form and that was fine. The walk through metal detector doesn't harm my 640g pump but don't put it in the baggage scanner or the full body scanner thing. I never disconnect and not had a problem. Have a fab holiday.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going to spain for a few days and it's my first time flying with the pump. My dsn isn't a great help. Once I managed to get a phone call with her I was only advised to take it off at security and not not put it through the scanner. She also said I wouldn't need a letter as they are well used to pumps now but I'm going to ask my gp for one anyway.

I remember at pump training we were told to disconnect at take off and landing but my dsn said this isn't necessary.

I'm very anxious as it is and tbh I don't feel fully satisfied with her information.

I'm going to approach security and explain the pump cant go through the machines. I will have my letter from gp.

I will take extra set changes, my back up insulin pens and info re insurance etc. I have a frio pouch and their is a fridge at the room.

Just to reassure you - I travel about 4x a year through Gatwick mainly to Europe, and never had to disconnect my pump at all & , in fact, the last few times I haven’t beeped or been asked any questions. I do have a letter from my DSN but as others have said I have NEVER been asked to provide it. Have a wonderful time.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just travelled to Myanmar via Doha no problems with pump or senser or any of my medicine's, nobody asked for any letters or prisciption, although I had it all with me, I think the whole world now knows all about insulin pumps

Reactions: Medusa41

simonfholt

Type of diabetes
Type 1

simonfholt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
  • I’ve been told by airport security that ‘anyone could produce the letter you’ve shown me from DSN’!
  • Carrying your prescription should help.
  • I’ve never ruined my pump by hounding through scanners BUT, when they wand the pump after the scanner is there really any point going through the scanner!
  • Diabetes UK state clearly that pumps shouldn’t go through scanners.
  • The Airport Operation Association on 21/7/2016 wrote UK airports to say ‘..an information Note has been issued to all UK Airports following a number of queries...’ They later say ...’(and where medical confirmation is provided) the regulations allow for items of vanilla baggage to be screened by hand search, supported by Trace Detection’
  • I have found that when challenged by airport security, saying “I never wanted this life threatening disease and this medication and insulin pump keep me alive” tends to help get out of a tricky situation with airport staff!!!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This will be my first time flying with my pump a Medtronic 640 pump. Flying from Edinburgh to Alicante in 10 days

I have a letter about my pump, a letter about my other diabetes kit and my prescription so that should be enough ??

I know not to put my pump through in hand luggage through X ray. So far so good

Now when we go through the scanner is that just a walk through metal detector scanner I guess that is OK. Or should I mention to security about my pump and ask to be hand scanned ?

Do many airports have a full body scanner which i guess I should not go through with my pump ?