Regular moderate exercise log

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful wonderful vacation! Hope your weather rewards you. We did not take either of our usual trips this summer and I am miserable for Mr ZF, who works 7 days a week

I was supposed to be flying to New York tomorrow morning..........:bigtears:

Reactions: DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been absent way too long but need to focus on exercise a bit more I think now that Joe Wicks has stopped his morning PE class. It stopped a while ago actually and yes I could still find his other stuff on YouTube but I liked being part of the live broadcast. Feeble excuse.
Yesterday I walked around 11,500 steps and did 15 mins of gentle weights.
Not sure I’ll be walking far this morning - it’s blowing a gale and pouring with rain but it might be good exercise wrestling Dennis out of the door ( he hates rain).

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Scottish steps and contours are my current exercise. Fewer steps, but far more effective ones as a result of the closer contours of the area!! All led to hypo city over the last three days and a rapid but welcome return to pre-lockdown insulin/carbs ratios.

It is lovely to be away from the very restricted area I've been in for the last few months, though now holding my breath as to whether or not my home territory lands in local lockdown before I return. There was a hasty plan B made for friend who usually stays overnight before going on home when we do holidays together, just in case.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 not feeble! My streaming barre classes are much better than a pre-recorded version. More real energy to feel. Wrestling a (I hope it's a!) dog out the door would defeat me! How did it go?
@Japes sorry for hypos but sounds like you have it under control now. When you say the contours are closer, do you mean the hills are hillier?
There was a barre class yesterday in which my legs, abs, and arms/shoulders started quivering almost as soon as we started. It became comical when the quivers turned into jerks. Obviously "pre-exhausted" muscles from the day before.
Today is supposed to have an evening walk if no lightning. Mr ZF took a pic of the river in flood when he walked yesterday.
IMG_2108.jpg

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab photo @zauberflote that looks like quite a torrent. I certainly wouldn’t want to be paddling in it.
Yes Dennis is a dog ( sorry, should have said!) He didn’t put up much of a fight this morning, I think he must have been desperate to perform his ablutions so it was a very half hearted ‘Here we go Round the Mulberrybush’ sort of game round the table.
Did a 20min beginners weight training YouTube thing. I used to do this one a lot and even increased my weights slightly as it became quite easy. Needless to say it half killed me today. It’s so easy to get out of shape and lose fitness and such a slog to get it back.
About 9k steps so far but we’ll have a longer walk this evening so it’ll be well over the prescribed 10k
@Japes I agree the contours definitely make up for distance. One of my often- taken walks is the equivalent of 23 floors climbed according to my health app. I’m glad you’re enjoying the Scottish scenery, fingers crossed about the lockdown at home.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 do you have a link to the YouTube tutorial? I need to do some sort of exercise apart from dog walking. I have 2 labradoodle who love to be out whatever the weather but I have found that walking isn't enough I need to build some muscle. I cracked the scaphoid bone in my wrist earlier in the year and 6 weeks immobilised has caused a lot of loss of muscle tone. I also need to lose another half stone or so.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bildad I’m the same: dog walking is pretty much it, unless I give myself a stern talking to ( which I haven’t of late) I don’t know if this link will work ( I’m not very techy) if not search YouTube for HASfit. There are loads of training sessions. I like the one called 30 minute workout for beginners weight training. Sometimes I used to just focus on arms, legs, abdo etc they have sessions on all, and also weight loss ones. Good luck.

Reactions: zauberflote

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much @DJC3 Now all I need to do is find some time to actually do the exercises! Wouldn't it be great if you could get fit by osmosis and just watching was all that was needed

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much @DJC3 Now all I need to do is find some time to actually do the exercises! Wouldn't it be great if you could get fit by osmosis and just watching was all that was needed

Yes I agree! There are some shorter ones, some only 10 mins but it still sometimes hard to get started.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@zauberflote Hills where I am currently are definitely, definitely hillier! Once upon a time, when I was a reluctant and very unfit walker involved with a group of people (for work purposes) who did an annual week's walking together I was always to be seen studying the map for the closeness of the contours each evening to see if there was a way of avoiding climbing ones I deemed too close together.

Now I'm an enthusiastic walker, I still study the map for contours, but am more inclined to just go for it and this time I record my pedometer steps on the spreadsheet as "Total Steps" "Continuous walking for 10 minutes at a reasonable pace" and "Uphill slow uneven territory steps which make my legs ache!" My little pedometer, which whom I am very well pleased, gives good information but doesn't allow for strenuous exercise with fewer steps. Last time I was in Scotland when the pedometer was new, I stuck to recording the information it gave me, and not creating the extra category!

@DJC3 I am Scottish, by ancestry, (traceable on all known sides back to the 1740s!) and love any chance I get to be here. Current work keeps me south of the border, but I do regularly consider coming back when opportunity allows.

The hypos are as much to do with the fact I'm eating a bit differently, both time-wise and content-wise, to make life easier for the cook as to the re-adjusting ratios back to pre-lockdown levels. It's all good...

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Japes didn't realize you had an actual contour map-- now it all makes sense! I have no idea how I'd do cross-country at altitude. I have chronic asthma which makes my lungs always short, and don't have the cardiac capacity of most, so I'm at a disadvantage. Also not been doing enough aerobic walking! We are supposed to do a cruise from Southampton a year from now, and might have liked to do some walking in Scotland before-- except my Covid-postponed 50th high school reunion is then! There is definitely Scotland on our bucket lists though.
I'm Scottish, faintly. My mother's grandmother was a MacDonald. We carry it proudly!

Reactions: Goonergal and Japes

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday a walk, 2.66 miles, average half-mile speed 22:33 which is faster than others recently. It was almost, I say almost, cool out. I was sweating profusely by the time I got home, but not hot. A nice little break in the usual heat.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great pic @zauberflote. Very dramatic.

Very long walk for me today - 22.2 miles - mostly in glorious sunshine. Some new canals, some new sections of previously walked ones and some old haunts. @Japes I finally crossed walking through the Netherton Tunnel off my bucket list. Head torch a necessity as were Goretex trainers - several deep puddles to negotiate.

1261C54D-79F8-4466-B19A-B32772B75BCF.jpeg
C95B4DC2-B9B2-4F85-93D7-68E0AF2F3CE5.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Goonergal WOW! That tunnel!! I have never even imagined a tunnel that long. I looked it up-- did you have to let canal barges pass?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal that is one big tunnel. I think I’d have been a bit spooked to walk the whole length of it in the dark with just a head torch. You’re very brave.
Today I haven’t managed to walk far as I spent the day in youngest daughter’s tiny flat. I did manage another HASfit weights session later though so not an entirely lost day.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Strollered .88 mi with baby, and a "Core&More" barre class. My obliques hurt I think my abs below my waist must still be actually numb from the hernia repair. I can't feel them except right out next to the pelvic bone, and they ought to be sore. It is very strange!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
did you have to let canal barges pass?
Unfortunately no. Was hoping one or two would come through. One entered just after I’d got through the other side.
I think I’d have been a bit spooked to walk the whole length of it in the dark with just a head torch.
Not sure I’ll be volunteering for it again. There were a few people coming in the opposite direction - on the other towpath - just after I entered, which was reassuring. Got spookier as I went further in. There is a boat trip which goes through this tunnel and the neighbouring Dudley tunnel. I was booked on one for early September but they’ve been cancelled due to Covid.

Today will be much more sedate and will likely involve popping out between rain showers.