Freestyle Libre 2

Luvly

Hi all, Was wondering whether I should buy the freestyle libre 2 device. Instead of using my finger pricks thingy.

I saw it on Amazon, So I decided to watch some YouTube videos about it.
It does appeal to me, but will it be worth it? Are they accurate?
Are they meant for T1 and T2 out just 1?

ollxe_y3

Hey I have the libre 2 at the moment and they are fairly accurate they may be off slightly but not by much. Libre say to put it on your arm but it is so easy to knock off etc. People have started putting it on their inner thighs and apparently getting even more accurate readings. It really is a good bit of kit and I think you would benefit from it. I’ve had to stick mine down with plasters etc as I have quite small arms but i am getting a strap that will hold it in place.

Reactions: Luvly

Luvly

Hi @Luvly, if you're in the UK you can get a free trial sensor https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/free-trial.html which lasts for 2 weeks. I really like the libre (although I've only used the libre 1 so far) and for me it's got good accuracy, but some people find for them that it's less accurate.
Yes I'm in the UK. I'll check out the site now.
so they last for 2 weeks? The sensor things that you replace are £55.
So I'll be paying Over £100 a month for the sensors?
Just been checking out the prices. Oh my, so expensive.

Last edited:

Luvly

Hey I have the libre 2 at the moment and they are fairly accurate they may be off slightly but not by much. Libre say to put it on your arm but it is so easy to knock off etc. People have started putting it on their inner thighs and apparently getting even more accurate readings. It really is a good bit of kit and I think you would benefit from it. I’ve had to stick mine down with plasters etc as I have quite small arms but i am getting a strap that will hold it in place.
Thank you for reply. I have very large arms. A strap probably won't fit round my arm

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly

Abbott are currently offering a free trial of the Libre 2. You just need a compatible smartphone:

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/free-trial.html

No need for a strap around your arm. They stick just fine, and if you do find you need something, there are tapes etc which you can use to stick over the top.

They are expensive, but I think even just taking advantage of the free offer and using it for 2 weeks you’d get real insight into the impact of foods on your blood sugars.

Edit to say hadn’t spotted that Sleepster had already linked to the free trial.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Libre say to put it on your arm but it is so easy to knock off
I have been using the Libre on my arm as Abbott advise for a couple of years and NEVER knocked it off.
The only time it came off was when I did not place it on a flat part of my arm so it unpeeled.
I place it slightly under my arm (but not as far under as my arm pit) which never touched a door jamb.
I am not a careful person and do a lot of exercise.

Reactions: ollxe_y3 and Luvly

SOTR

I got the trial sensor last week. I think it is fantastic. Some points:
You really do not know the sensor is there. Not in any way intrusive.

I bought a pack of special circular plasters on Amazon, which are made to fit the sensor. So I am not worried about knocking it off or taking a shower https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SQLLL3M/

You pay around 48 pounds for the sensor - you may not have to pay VAT. GO direct to the Freestyle Libre site and register there, you get the choice to fill in a VAT exemption.

You need a compatible mobile phone or their reader. I have a really good phone from work so it works perfectly.

Luvly

Hi @Luvly

Abbott are currently offering a free trial of the Libre 2. You just need a compatible smartphone:

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/free-trial.html

No need for a strap around your arm. They stick just fine, and if you do find you need something, there are tapes etc which you can use to stick over the top.

They are expensive, but I think even just taking advantage of the free offer and using it for 2 weeks you’d get real insight into the impact of foods on your blood sugars.

Edit to say hadn’t spotted that Sleepster had already linked to the
I got the trial sensor last week. I think it is fantastic. Some points:
You really do not know the sensor is there. Not in any way intrusive.

I bought a pack of special circular plasters on Amazon, which are made to fit the sensor. So I am not worried about knocking it off or taking a shower https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SQLLL3M/

You pay around 48 pounds for the sensor - you may not have to pay VAT. GO direct to the Freestyle Libre site and register there, you get the choice to fill in a VAT exemption.

You need a compatible mobile phone or their reader. I have a really good phone from work so it works perfectly.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that you have to replace the sensor every two weeks. Aprox £50 a fortnight?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
‘The only thing I'm concerned about is that you have to replace the sensor every two weeks. Aprox £50 a fortnight?’

Only if you want to. The free trial doesn’t commit you to anything. In two weeks you’d likely learn a lot.

After that you could resume finger pricking. Some people buy sensors to use every now and then and use finger pricks most of the time.

As with all these things it’s down to personal choice.

Luvly

‘The only thing I'm concerned about is that you have to replace the sensor every two weeks. Aprox £50 a fortnight?’

Only if you want to. The free trial doesn’t commit you to anything. In two weeks you’d likely learn a lot.

After that you could resume finger pricking. Some people buy sensors to use every now and then and use finger pricks most of the time.

As with all these things it’s down to personal choice.
I'm going for the free trail, the see how I go

SOTR

I would say to delete your account and open a new one. I cannot see where the button for that is though.
I would contact their customer support and ask to have your account deleted. Then start again.
They do want you to try their product!

Tramk

If you complain about a faulty sensor, they just thank you for your message, and "welcome back" if you need more help.

Luvly

I would say to delete your account and open a new one. I cannot see where the button for that is though.
I would contact their customer support and ask to have your account deleted. Then start again.
They do want you to try their product!
I tried contacting them yesterday. After 20 minutes, I gave up.

Luvly

Update: After being rejected. I received another email about an update to their sensor kits... I thought " how dare they send me the update, after rejecting me, but hey, at least this email had a different telephone number.

So I've just called them, and complained about them sending me another email. and that I was utterly disappointed about their rejection.
And finally, after much expressing my disappointment, they're now going to send me the free trail. ( I should get it within 5 working days.)
Result!