Apple Watch series 3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Apologies I know this is t diabetes related.
But I’ve been interested in buying a series 3 Apple Watch. Have an iPhone.
I have Fitbit but think the watch would be more features.
But it’s been around for awhile.
Anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth getting or is it just too old now and not worth the risk of things being fazed out which apple do like doing.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd hold off a few months as the next generation Apple & Galaxy watches are meant to have some form of glucose monitoring. Great days ahead.

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Personally I'd hold off a few months as the next generation Apple & Galaxy watches are meant to have some form of glucose monitoring. Great days ahead.
Ooh really,
I’m guessing they will be stupidly expensive though given how expensive series 6 are

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh really,
I’m guessing they will be stupidly expensive though given how expensive series 6 are

Probably a grand plus, hoping they don't put a subscription model on the glucose part of the device.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Probably a grand plus, hoping they don't put a subscription model on the glucose part of the device.
Ouch. That’s way beyond my cost.
Hence why I was looking at the 3, it’s relatively affordable

Lakeslover

I’ve had an Apple Watch 3 for 2 or 3 years now. It links to my iPhone and displays whatsapp and text messages, monitors my pulse, steps, can track workouts. It’s waterproof so I regularly wear it while swimming.

plus I use diabox with libre2 to continuously monitor my glucose levels and they are displayed on my watch face which is great for keeping an eye on it without being too obvious.
But you are right it is an old model now so no telling how long Apple will continue to support it.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be amazing but some stuff I read recently thinks It's unlikely the next generation will. But we shall see hopefully soon

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/appl...lood-glucose-monitoring-and-thats-a-huge-blow

I've got a watch and the heart rate, exercise tracking are helpful to me when I went into the regime. I tend to change mine every year. The ECG feature was actually helpful to highlight to me that my heart rate is lower than normal, and I'm getting checked out cause of it

£1k+ on watch would be ludicrous to get glucose tracking. Apple watch is bad already, I'd be surprised if they did. But apple can surprise by stupid prices

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
new rumours now suggest not in the next watch... also if its anything like the EGC it will be approved in the USA nearly a year before the UK

as for the Series 3 id say its a generation to old.. i don't even think it will get the latest updates.. look towards the SE

Lakeslover

Mysteries 3 still runs the latest OS version and gets security updates. But not the latest features like the ecg.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
new rumours now suggest not in the next watch... also if its anything like the EGC it will be approved in the USA nearly a year before the UK

as for the Series 3 id say its a generation to old.. i don't even think it will get the latest updates.. look towards the SE
That’s what I was thinking thank you. Bit pricier and still don’t think it has the blood oxygen thing but general fitness etc will still be good

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That’s what I was thinking thank you. Bit pricier and still don’t think it has the blood oxygen thing but general fitness etc will still be good
ive just check watch 3 should get os8 probably not 9

the newer models have better battery life and will have os updates for longer... so getting a newer model will last you longer.. and is generally a bit snappier

o2 sensor is only on the 6, i have the 5 which works well.. it does better health tracking than my old model 3 did.. the new watch should be available sept if you can wait until then the current model should see a price drop

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

the newer models have better battery life and will have os updates for longer... so getting a newer model will last you longer.. and is generally a bit snappier

o2 sensor is only on the 6, i have the 5 which works well.. it does better health tracking than my old model 3 did.. the new watch should be available sept if you can wait until then the current model should see a price drop
Which is the newest one the 6?

The se is £70 more and I guess that money is worth it if it lasts that bit longer.
Not sure the 6 will drop significantly enough once new one comes out.
I do think the 3 will not be supported long enough and really don’t see point. In spending money for it to be useless within couple years.
Not sure when se got released though.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Which is the newest one the 6?

The se is £70 more and I guess that money is worth it if it lasts that bit longer.
Not sure the 6 will drop significantly enough once new one comes out.
I do think the 3 will not be supported long enough and really don’t see point. In spending money for it to be useless within couple years.
Not sure when se got released though.

6 and SE are the current ones

5 dropped by about £100 after 6 came out

Se was release sept 2020 so is the latest model just doesn’t have the full feature set of the 6 so should be supported for atleast 2 to 3 more years

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Actually just seen the gps only 6 is 378 so possibly could come down to a better price.
Thank you

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
6 and SE are the current ones

5 dropped by about £100 after 6 came out

Se was release sept 2020 so is the latest model just doesn’t have the full feature set if the 6 so should be supported for atleast 2 to 3 more years
Is the blood oxygen feature worth it?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is the blood oxygen feature worth it?

In my opinion no.. this is the first year I held back and and delayed an upgrade and kept the 5

Unless you are worried about your o2 levels for some reason then I wouldn’t bother

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
In my opinion no.. this is the first year I held back and and delayed an upgrade and kept the 5

Unless you are worried about your o2 levels for some reason then I wouldn’t bother
Not particularly no. Just heard it’s good to see if your fitness levels are improving.
Am I right in thinking the 5 doesn’t get sold anymore?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not particularly no. Just heard it’s good to see if your fitness levels are improving.
Am I right in thinking the 5 doesn’t get sold anymore?

No it ended when the SE came out. The 3 is the 2018 model se is 2020

Argos have some models of 5 in stock and you may find other sellers with them

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
No it ended when the SE came out. The 3 is the 2018 model se is 2020

Argos have some models of 5 in stock and you may find other sellers with them
Ah so either se or 6 then.
In your opinion which is better, the se or 6?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ah so either se or 6 then.
In your opinion which is better, the se or 6?

haha i was going to say 6 as its better but ive just read the spec and the only thing it doesn't seem to have is the ECG and o2 sensors.... so if they are not important and you want to save some money id say the SE

se has a slightly less powerful processor and slightly older heart rate sensor

https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/compare/

Last edited: